Quietest helmet?

I rode tonight with my C3 and ear plugs with the larger head liner. It is very very windy tonight and it was quiet and very comfortable but I have to get use to that chin strap. Thanks everyone.
 
drodg58_imp said:
I rode tonight with my C3 and ear plugs with the larger head liner. It is very very windy tonight and it was quiet and very comfortable but I have to get use to that chin strap. Thanks everyone.
Yes there's no D ring or anything to secure the helmet to the bike and the ratchet type chin strap require getting used to. But it's much quicker on and off and can even be secured with one hand.

I need to remember to make sure the face shield locks into place. My HJC modular was easier.
 
I never thought about the fact that you cannot attach the helmet to the bike until you said that. After I replaced the liner this week with a large and rode yesterday in very strong head winds I am pretty sold. It is nice helmet just different than my Arais I have been wearing over the years. Have a good weekend.
 
Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

I should say that for all helmets, I wear ear protection for any rides involving 80 km/h and higher (i.e. no urban rides).
 
I can guarantee this one is not . My absolute favorite though...
6555107efc9e76d76279d5a09957bce8.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

I should say that for all helmets, I wear ear protection for any rides involving 80 km/h and higher (i.e. no urban rides).
Arai is the only company offering 3 different helmet shapes for different heads (round/long/intermediate oval). Their newer helmets have also gotten much quieter - the Quantum and Signet -X helmets have been noted in reviews to be very good in that regard.

They’re also one of the few companies that makes a helmet specifically designed from a venting and shape perspective for naked/standard bikes (the Defiant) - which is what I’m wearing on the CB. however I also always wear high NRR earplugs.

I think that for absolute quiet, there’s little doubt that the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.
 
cblais19_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

I should say that for all helmets, I wear ear protection for any rides involving 80 km/h and higher (i.e. no urban rides).
Arai is the only company offering 3 different helmet shapes for different heads (round/long/intermediate oval). Their newer helmets have also gotten much quieter - the Quantum and Signet -X helmets have been noted in reviews to be very good in that regard.

They’re also one of the few companies that makes a helmet specifically designed from a venting and shape perspective for naked/standard bikes (the Defiant) - which is what I’m wearing on the CB. however I also always wear high NRR earplugs.

I think that for absolute quiet, there’s little doubt that the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.
Arai is the only company offering 3 different helmet shapes for different heads (round/long/intermediate oval). Their newer helmets have also gotten much quieter - the Quantum and Signet -X helmets have been noted in reviews to be very good in that regard.

They’re also one of the few companies that makes a helmet specifically designed from a venting and shape perspective for naked/standard bikes (the Defiant) - which is what I’m wearing on the CB. however I also always wear high NRR earplugs.

I think that for absolute quiet, there’s little doubt that the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.
:thumbsup: When the Gulf of Mexico is in a bad mood, southern Ontario is as bad and sometimes worse than Georgia and Florida in the summer. It might be a Great Lake affect. Chicago is terrible in summer too.

There is no relief for Floridians migrating to southern Ontario in July/August. They have to go to Quebec or the Arctic to get it.
 
Overall I'm happy with the noise level of my Shoei RF-SR. It's a massive upgrade in terms of sound over my Biltwell Gringo S. However, I will say that my Gringo was one size too big, so it's not a 1-to-1 comparison.

Either way, I'll probably looking into ear plugs for this upcoming summer.
 
For those of us who use Shoei helmets and want to make them a bit quieter they sell inserts with noise dampners in various sizes. Less expensive on Amazon but excellent info and sizing data on Shoei website.

I’d love to find the helmet equivalent of Maxwell Q. Smarts cone of silence for riding but .......
 
4 Paws, you won't. Ear plugs are a must, but even they won't give you the cone of silence.
 
....the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.
[/QUOTE]

Just got the C4Pro in Merak white and it's great, better then my C3. The quietest helmet ever on a naked bike is my Schuberth S2 Sport, hands down! for California anyway.
Lived in Kitchener, Ontario ,CA and Indianapolis and the Arai I had were best overall...yes humidity, thanks for reminding me of it. The Schuberth won't cut it, agree, I tried.
 
Mercurysilver_imp said:
....the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.

Just got the C4Pro in Merak white and it's great, better then my C3. The quietest helmet ever on a naked bike is my Schuberth S2 Sport, hands down! for California anyway.
Lived in Kitchener, Ontario ,CA and Indianapolis and the Arai I had were best overall...yes humidity, thanks for reminding me of it. The Schuberth won't cut it, agree, I tried.
[/QUOTE]
Just got the C4Pro in Merak white and it's great, better then my C3. The quietest helmet ever on a naked bike is my Schuberth S2 Sport, hands down! for California anyway.
Lived in Kitchener, Ontario ,CA and Indianapolis and the Arai I had were best overall...yes humidity, thanks for reminding me of it. The Schuberth won't cut it, agree, I tried.
[/QUOTE]

Kitchener, Ontario to southern California: Do you know Gin60? (just kiddin')

Yeah, I wear the Arai during summer in southern Ontario. (bleck)
 
I've never been bothered by helmet noise. I've always worn full face helmets and I guess they're just quieter by nature. I also have tinnitus and of course there are the voices so I never seem to notice helmet noise.
 
:rofl: I hear ya.. or maybe I just think I do :huh:
 
My limited experience with helmets took me from a Bell Qualifier to a Shoei Qwest. The Qwest is by far more comfortable and quieter. It also has good vent features for the hot weather and it out performs all my gloves, pants and scarves in the colder rides because my hands, legs and neck get cold before I've ever even considered my head. I will be requiring a new helmet this year because the old shoei is nearing 5 years and with the amount of use it's got I don't want to push it past it's due date since the sweat and exposure has probably prematurely aged the foam past tolerance limits.
 
I've used AFX, Bell, HJC, and Shoei. The Shoei RF-1200 has been my helmet for the last five years. It's been my favorite by far. However, it's getting time to replace it. Maybe it's time to try Arai. That new Klim with the Transitions shield looks good, too.
 
Roper_imp said:
I've used AFX, Bell, HJC, and Shoei. The Shoei RF-1200 has been my helmet for the last five years. It's been my favorite by far. However, it's getting time to replace it. Maybe it's time to try Arai. That new Klim with the Transitions shield looks good, too.
In late fall 2020 I went shopping for the Arai XD-4, actually had it in hand on way to the cashier. Ended walking out with a Klim Krios Pro. Win-win either way. No regrets with the Krios.
 
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I recently bought a Schuberth C5 to replace my Shoei NXR2 and noticed a lot of turbulence around the back of my neck/helmet. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
Back
Top