Quietest helmet?

jwoods986_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I know helmets are very subjective as far as fit (believe me, I know, I'm a XXL), but are there any sorts of standards/ratings regarding wind noise or interior sound levels? If not, what helmet(s) have you guys found to be the quietest?
 
Well I have a Schuberth C3 on order as I want to go with a modular helmet. I have been using an Ariai Signet for many years and with ear plugs it is pretty quiet. The front chin vent broke off last week so this am I rode with my Arai Rx7 that is probably like 20 years old. I didn't use my ear plugs and wow is it loud. I am hopefully riding this afternoon so I will be using ear plugs with that old helmet. Anyhow I read that article last week and it made me lean toward the Schuberth and the Shoei. I know they rated the C3 Pro but I believe the regular C3 is real quiet also. I should get my helmet by the weekend and I will give you an update compared to my Arai's.
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
Perfect, thanks!
drodg58_imp said:
Well I have a Schuberth C3 on order as I want to go with a modular helmet. I have been using an Ariai Signet for many years and with ear plugs it is pretty quiet. The front chin vent broke off last week so this am I rode with my Arai Rx7 that is probably like 20 years old. I didn't use my ear plugs and wow is it loud. I am hopefully riding this afternoon so I will be using ear plugs with that old helmet. Anyhow I read that article last week and it made me lean toward the Schuberth and the Shoei. I know they rated the C3 Pro but I believe the regular C3 is real quiet also. I should get my helmet by the weekend and I will give you an update compared to my Arai's.
What's the difference between the C3 and C3 Pro? Besides price -lol.
 
Quite a bit actually but I felt for 500.00 for the C3 it should be good enough for me. I think there were some comfort issues with the C3. I hope I don't have those. I think most of the guys on this forum who have the C3 are very happy with them. Good luck with your search.
 
drodg58_imp said:
Quite a bit actually but I felt for 500.00 for the C3 it should be good enough for me. I think there were some comfort issues with the C3. I hope I don't have those. I think most of the guys on this forum who have the C3 are very happy with them. Good luck with your search.
Anxiously awaiting your test report.

I had a quiet Arai but used it in a crash. The HJC modular I replaced it with is very noisy. The C3 is very tempting.
 
I received my Schuberth C3 last night and I rode for about two hours today or at least had the helmet on for two hours. I am not sure. I have always had medium size Arai helmets and that is what I ordered in this helmet. My wife had measured me before I ordered it and I sized for a medium. I know my old helmets are very well broken in but the Schuberth is really tight. I noticed in the second hour of my ride many different hot points or plain soreness. I do know from reading on the internet these helmets do take a bit to break in. So we will see how it goes. I have read that the S2 liner for 49.00 is a good replacement for some of the sore points that I am experiencing. Anyhow I love the modular aspect of the helmet and it is very quiet and I did wear ear plugs. I will ride more this week and try to give some more updates.
 
Thread starter
Good info, thanks. I'm a XXL and some brands (like AGV) I can't even get their XXL on my head. It sounds like Schuberth might run small too.

Interesting that 2 of the 5 lids from that article are modular. I've always worn full-face helmets but might look into a modular.
 
Schuberth runs small, and those pressure points are real. The S2 liner helps, but you really need to go up a size in most cases. You should be able to return it if you ordered from Revzilla or the like. I can attest that the C3 is amazingly quiet.
 
Revzilla is starting to sell out on some sizes and colors, so I just pulled the trigger on a C3. I had to pick my second color choice. Seems like glossy silver is a popular color.
 
Btw a Schuberth medium C3 has the same shell as the large helmet. I am getting a large liner for it and see if that helps. I talked to Schuberth and they have been very helpful.
 
My C3 arrived today. Based on Drodg58's comments, I got a 3XL instead of my normal 2XL. It's snug but not tight and passes all the fitment tests. Drodg - I think you saved me from sending a 2XL back for the larger size. Thanks and good luck with your new helmet.

I'll try it on a ride tomorrow. I also fitted a touring screen on my RCII today. I suspect the screen will throw a lot more air towards the helmet and should be a good test for wind noise.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
My C3 arrived today. Based on Drodg58's comments, I got a 3XL instead of my normal 2XL. It's snug but not tight and passes all the fitment tests. Drodg - I think you saved me from sending a 2XL back for the larger size. Thanks and good luck with your new helmet.

I'll try it on a ride tomorrow. I also fitted a touring screen on my RCII today. I suspect the screen will throw a lot more air towards the helmet and should be a good test for wind noise.
I will be looking forward to your ride report! Good luck
 
I think that there are a couple of factors that come into play regardless of the helmet itself. Finding a helmet that fits the shape of your heard, and that is also sized correctly is bound to make a difference in the noise level regardless of the helmet itself.

I own a Shoei GT Air and find it to be very quiet. However, I have read reports from others who felt that it was rather loud. My first thought was that they either bought the helmet in a size that was too large for them, or that the basic shape of the helmet was just wrong for their head (or possibly both with the looseness occuring in an attempt to compensate for a helmet shape that isn't a match for the head shape). This is why I like to buy my helmets in a store where I can try them on first. I go for the snuggest possible fit but without hot spots or pain points. You can count on the fit loosening over time, but don't bet on the hot spots going away entirely.

Some of the most comprehensive helmet reviews on the web can be found on webbikeworld.com
 
I just upgraded to a Shoei RF-1200. Quiet and light weight. It also has great ventilation. When I was buying I read all the opinions to narrow down the field. Then I went my local dealer to try them on to see what felt the best.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
My C3 arrived today. Based on Drodg58's comments, I got a 3XL instead of my normal 2XL. It's snug but not tight and passes all the fitment tests. Drodg - I think you saved me from sending a 2XL back for the larger size. Thanks and good luck with your new helmet.

I'll try it on a ride tomorrow. I also fitted a touring screen on my RCII today. I suspect the screen will throw a lot more air towards the helmet and should be a good test for wind noise.
So how was your ride with your tour screen and your C3? I just received the large liner last night for my medium C3 helmet and it is much more comfortable.
 
drodg58_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
My C3 arrived today. Based on Drodg58's comments, I got a 3XL instead of my normal 2XL. It's snug but not tight and passes all the fitment tests. Drodg - I think you saved me from sending a 2XL back for the larger size. Thanks and good luck with your new helmet.

I'll try it on a ride tomorrow. I also fitted a touring screen on my RCII today. I suspect the screen will throw a lot more air towards the helmet and should be a good test for wind noise.
So how was your ride with your tour screen and your C3? I just received the large liner last night for my medium C3 helmet and it is much more comfortable.
The higher screen definitely throws a lot more air at the helmet. But with ear plugs and the C3, all is well.
 
Back
Top