Question re drive line lash on CB1100

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm beginning to put some miles on the CB1100 now that I have installed the Ikon shocks, and I have a question unrelated to suspension.

Question is ..... is there a way to measure drive line lash (free play,) such as selecting a gear and manually pushing the bike back and forth until it 'clunks? Then measuring that distance? I'm curious if mine is like most of the CB1100s in this regard.

If mine is normal, I'll just consider it the nature of the beast. The feeling is much like riding a shaft drive bike like my older BMW or the Moto Guzzi, but not like I remember my 2003 T100 (chain drive) responding to throttle inputs.

My fuel injection feels dialed in nicely from the factory, so don't think the FI is abrupt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob
 
Is your chain adjusted to spec? These bike are sensitive to proper chain adjustment.
 
Also being fuel injected you will feel any lash much less if you roll on and off the throttle rather than chop it. I generally don't even roll my throttle all the way off when changing gears, just roll it back about 90%, make my shift, and then roll it back on again. Learned that on my 06 fuel injected ST.

Carbed bikes had " transition" zones in fueling going from pilot jet to main jet. FI has no such transition zones, it's either on or off, so I don't turn it all the way off.
 
Thread starter
Both of you make a good point. Carb'd bikes don't react nearly as abruptly to throttle off/on as FI bikes. That may be exactly what I'm experiencing. And I've learned over years of riding FI/shaft drive bikes that abrupt throttle off and on is a no-no. Had a bunch of Beemers, and one in particular (my 1995 R1100RS) was notorious for throttle surging cruising at intermediate speeds in traffic. I learned to ride around it.

I guess I was curious to hear whether any CB riders experienced the driveline clunk, even when being 'gentle' with the throttle. Just trying to assure myself it was normal, and nothing loose in the drive line.

Bob

PS - I believe my chain is adjusted within spec, but I'll check it again.
 
You can alway pop it on the centerstand, put it in first gear, and rotate your back wheel forward and backward to see how much play there is in there. I'm guessing it will turn 4 or 5 inches.
 
I've noticed the CB has a little lash in it as well. It seems to be worse if there's excess free play in the throttle cable.
 
Driveline lash on the CB1100 goes way up with just a bit of extra chain slack. Be sure the chain is adjusted to spec. You remind me that I need to adjust the throttle cable play on mine, which also exacerbates driveline lash. But chain is the first thing to check.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'll take another look at the chain to make certain it is on spec. Don't seem to have but a minimum amount of throttle play, but, no harm in checking it again.

Bob
 
Thanks for your thoughts.

My CB Dlx has the clunkiest transmission of any bike I have ever owned, except my 1968 Triumph 250. (Without counting, I would guess I have owned about 20 motorcycles, including the six in my garage right now). Like others have posted, the CB seems to be extremely sensitive to chain adjustment. I have never owned a bike (other than my pos Triumph) that I had to really, really think about making first to second gear shifts so the transmission / chain wouldn't sound like a Harley shifting. I live with this short-coming, but I am forced to constantly think carefully about each and every first to second gear shift. My Dlx ranks right up there as making one of the loudest "clunks" when shifting from neutral into first gear also. Before anybody asks, I run the Honda 10W30 full synthetic motor oil.
 
This is my only real complaint about this motorcycle. There is so much slack in the throttle/transmission/chain. I have as little slack as I can get away with in the throttle and my chain is tightened to spec. Especially at lower RPMs, you have to be PERFECT with the throttle to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd. It's just so picky. I find that when the engine is cold and the RPM idles around 1.2k rather than 1k it shifts much nicer. I really wish there was some way to adjust idle on these.
 
I'm sorry and surprised to hear this about the shifting problems, and I'm a bit dismayed because I have just the opposite experience.
My '14 CB has a super smooth transmission and engaging first from neutral is only a modest click. Going up and down through the gears is flawless and the bike is a joy to ride.
I'm using Motul 5100 10W30 so no magic there.
I'm not gloating, just voicing my experience.
 
I used to think that the 1st to 2nd gear shift was a little clunky too...until I found out from experience that it is 100% smooth 100% of the time if you run in 1st gear to AT LEAST 2800 rpm before attempting to shift to 2nd. Try this and I promise you will be amazed at the difference. This free advice comes with a money back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied :) - Kvdv
 
^^^ endorsed. 1->2 transmission clunkiness has been 100% "RPM at shift point" related for me. I have a tendency to short-shift (esp in dense residential area) and the torque of the motor tends to invite that, but letting the motor stretch its legs a bit *really* smooths out the shifts.
 
Maybe that's why I don't feel it. My normal shift point is 3200 rpms.
 
kvdv_imp said:
I used to think that the 1st to 2nd gear shift was a little clunky too...until I found out from experience that it is 100% smooth 100% of the time if you run in 1st gear to AT LEAST 2800 rpm before attempting to shift to 2nd. Try this and I promise you will be amazed at the difference. This free advice comes with a money back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied :) - Kvdv
:rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top