Question for Moderators

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Is there any affiliation with this forum and a facebook forum called "CB1100 owners forum?" Through some type of facebook snafu tonight, as soon as I got confirmation of an order I placed with a secure website, I received an instant message on facebook messenger asking if I owned a CB1100. Thinking it was the vendor, I replied "yes". (I had to list the CB1100 as the cycle for which I was ordering a seat pad). Conversation progressed that he thought I was applying for membership with the CB1100 owners forum on facebook. I asked him what my order from Alaska Leathers had to do with his facebook forum? He said "sometimes facebook messenger goofs." I reckon! I have deleted messenger on my iphone and changed my privacy settings on facebook. Whether I stay or not depends on what shows up. Quite often, what I have viewed on a vendor's website shows up on my facebook page--sometimes within minutes. This seems like an invasion of my privacy.

As a precaution, I have been in contact with both Alaska Leathers and my credit card company. Alaska tells me they have several layers of security so not to worry. Bank in essence said the same thing but I'm going to be watching my credit card account very closely.
 
No, no affiliation whatever. However there are several members of the forum that have CB1100 facebook groups on their own.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret. I remember the guy's name but there are so many of us who use pseudonym names on this and other boards that unless he steps forward, I'll never know.
 
Well one of them is motogeezer. Cant remember who the others were but if you type "Facebook" into the search engine, their threads should come up.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well one of them is motogeezer. Cant remember who the others were but if you type "Facebook" into the search engine, their threads should come up.
I have a watch on my credit card account. If a fraudulent charge appears, the credit card company will go after the person submitting the charge.
 
You have zero responsibility for fraudulent credit card charges, so don't sweat it.

That being said, when shopping online, it's best to use your credit card, not your debit card. A fraudulent charge on your debit card can drain your bank account and cause a huge mess. A fraudulent charge on your credit card is benign.
 
As ferret pointed out, this forum has nothing to do with facebook or the facebook CB1100 groups. While I do have a facebook account, I sign on so infrequently that I usually have a hard tim remembering my login credentials. Hopefully this all amounts to nothing as far as you're concerned White Dog (with the exception of your actual order, which I hope goes through smoothly).
 
Facebook is all over the internet and collects browsing activity about everybody, including non-members and combines and interconnects all this data in order to show you personalized advertising. Every website that has the Facebook symbol tracks you. I suggest to install tracking-blockers as an add-on in your browser if you want to escape this to a certain extent. It is impossible for us everyday users not to be tracked and profiled at all by google or FB, unless you use some sophisticated technologies.

I'm not about conspiracy. It is just how it is these days.

I recently started a small Facebook ad campaign myself for the first time and I found it really a bit scaring: the more you pay them, the better you can define the profile of the users that see your ad (location, education, age, gender, interests, recent activities, etc etc).

just my 2c...

greetings from Germany,

fruno
 
The FB Group I started is noted in my signature below.
Several people here are on board. I've done most all my banking electronically for the past 5 years or so, buy a lot of stuff on eBay, Amazon and independant vendors. The only issues I've had have been from card skimmers at gas stations, once or twice a year. Every time my bank notified me before I even knew about it. My advice is to check your accounts daily to stay on top of things ;)
 
White Dog, you might also like to check your privacy settings in Facebook. Remember, like Google, Facebook is only interested in mining its users for information about themselves so it can be sold to advertisers.
 
Or, as Monty Python once had it, 'People who live in glass houses shouldn't'.
 
Companies pay for this to be done. I always add things to shopping carts to see how much Canadian shipping is and then abandon them when it's too high. If it's a major retailer, I can basically be sure the same item will show up in my Facebook advertising, often saying "still interested?"

Revzilla and eBay are two that always do it. As mentioned above, advertisers pay for this to happen.

It's a tradeoff. I used to disable anything g that could track me and use private browsing. The pro was I never got targeted advertising like this, the con (and why I stopped) was that you kiss out on any of the helpful metrics that give you better google searches, suggestions, etc...
 
Thread starter
Ah, all is well. There have been no suspicious charges to my credit card, plus I just received a new card (with the microchip) and it has a different expiration date and CCV than the old card, so no worries now. Now, if I could just convince myself to quit buying stuff some would question if I need it ...
 
Two other forums to which I post had massive security breaches in February; every user's info was posted publicly on the Web, so whatever each member entered into his/her profile was made public.

That info can easily be used to access major accounts the person may have, several ways, mainly by entering email addresses into Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and any other major social networking website or consumer services site, and requesting a new password.

When that doesn't work (it won't because the hacker won't be able to receive the email in most cases) the hacker calls Amazon customer service, makes some kind of excuse about having changed his/her email, and in many cases, a new password is issued over the phone since the hacker is able to confirm many other details provided in the data breach. The credit card fraud then begins.

That's why I provide only the minimum amount of information needed to join any forum and nothing more.
 
Back
Top