Question about oil level???

Johnboy_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
ok .. So I just did my 600 mile service myself at 562 miles .... Changed oil and filter ... Put exactly 4 quarts of 10 -30 honda oil in .... Thought I would have to add a little more but to my surprise , the oil level after cranking it up and then letting it set overnight is about 1 millimeter above the high mark in the window .... My question is ... Is this ok , or do I need to drain a little out to get it under the high mark ... Keep in mind .... I already put 80 miles on the bike after changing the oil .... Should I drain some out or not ...??? I'm thinking it's ok but I'm not the mechanic that some of you are ... 1 millimeter over the high mark ok or not ?:biker:.... Also keep in mind that the bike was hot when I changed the oil ... I had just rode 60 miles before changing it ... Oil was good and hot when I drained it
 
I'm curious about the responses as well . I just did mine, and it was over, I decided to just ride. Hopefully that was the correct decision. Hope some others chime in on this subject.
 
If you can still see some air above the oil level in the sight window you should be OK.

If you have "overfilled" it some oil might get blown into either of the oil breather drain tubes. Just keep an eye on them to see if any more oil than normal is accumulating in either tube. Engine Oil (Not to be confused with K&N Filter Oil) in the bottom of the air filter housing is a sure sign that you have overfilled it.
 
Mine is like that. I change it according to the book. But after it sits a while it will be above the line on full in the sight glass. No oil blow by so far anywhere.

Was like that new from the dealer too.
 
Quote:I think you'll be fine, plus it's sitting overnight. Mine was like that from the dealer.
I vote "don't drain".
Technically speaking if you do drain out the excess you also have to replace the crush washer, which you know you are not gonna do. So leave it along.

But do replace the crush washer at every oil change.
 
I usually hold out 4 oz. before I put the oil in the crankcase. Seems fine. Also note that the CB seems unusually sensitive to how level it is when checking oil. Must driveways and garages have a slope. So consider that as well.
 
NOW you all know why, in my how do do your own 600 mile service thread, I say to put in 3 qts 28 oz, run it, check it, then sneak up on the upper line an ounce at a time. There is a method to my madness bwaahaaahaaa. ;)
 
The ferret_imp said:
NOW you all know why, in my how do do your own 600 mile service thread, I say to put in 3 qts 28 oz, run it, check it, then sneak up on the upper line an ounce at a time. There is a method to my madness bwaahaaahaaa. ;)
We should all pay more attention :thumbsup:

I just checked my overflow tubes. They are dry as can be, I think I'm good.
I'll be more careful next time !!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
NOW you all know why, in my how do do your own 600 mile service thread, I say to put in 3 qts 28 oz, run it, check it, then sneak up on the upper line an ounce at a time. There is a method to my madness bwaahaaahaaa. ;)
Ferret... I did see your how to thread and it was very helpful , however , I just knew that since I had my bike really good and hot that it would all drain out ... well , I was wrong and promptly admit it ..lol ... it does NOT all drain out ... some still stays! ... Im not real worried about it as I can still see some air above in the window .. but I will pay more attention to your How-to threads....just like you said ... it really bugs me not to have the oil line perfectly between the high and low mark in the window..lol... its only 1 millimeter above but I will think often of that 1 millimeter !:rofl:
:thanks:
CIP57_imp said:
John,

I put in 4qts which fills the sight-glass, your fine.
:thanks:
 
treytexag_imp said:
My sight glass is full and came from the dealer that way.
Trey they all come overfilled an ounce or so, and my understanding from talking to Honda mechanics is the reason why is they expect new engines to use a little oil before the rings get fully seated during break in. I have never noticed an oil drop in the first 600 miles, but it does make some sense I suppose.
 
I always use a gallon at the oil change. The procedure called out by the book calls for running the engine, then letting it sit for a few minutes (don't have the manual, so can't remember exactly how many), then checking the sight glass. When I do that, the oil is just under the top line in the window. If I then let it sit all night and check it again in the morning (without having started the engine) it's right at the very top of the window. Makes sense, since oil from the top end will slowly migrate down to the crankcase over the span of hours.

Bottom line is that mine checks out between the two lines when checked by the book procedure and it looks overfull if the bike has been sitting for hours since being run.
 
treytexag_imp said:
My sight glass is full and came from the dealer that way.
Same was mine and I don't worry 'bout it.
So I know, the CB doesn't run dry.:D
When I changed the oil plus filter, I filled up round about 4 liters and that
fitted the deal. No oil consumption recognized over 11.000km.
Nice machine. Neither do I push my bike into higher revs when it's cold,
nor do I treat it bad, so everything works out well. It's a Honda, what more should I say?

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I always use a gallon at the oil change. The procedure called out by the book calls for running the engine, then letting it sit for a few minutes (don't have the manual, so can't remember exactly how many), then checking the sight glass. When I do that, the oil is just under the top line in the window. If I then let it sit all night and check it again in the morning (without having started the engine) it's right at the very top of the window. Makes sense, since oil from the top end will slowly migrate down to the crankcase over the span of hours.

Bottom line is that mine checks out between the two lines when checked by the book procedure and it looks overfull if the bike has been sitting for hours since being run.
Thanks for the info :thanks:
 
The ferret_imp said:
NOW you all know why, in my how do do your own 600 mile service thread, I say to put in 3 qts 28 oz, run it, check it, then sneak up on the upper line an ounce at a time. There is a method to my madness bwaahaaahaaa. ;)
What I did. My level is right on. Thanks.
 
Ghis_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
NOW you all know why, in my how do do your own 600 mile service thread, I say to put in 3 qts 28 oz, run it, check it, then sneak up on the upper line an ounce at a time. There is a method to my madness bwaahaaahaaa. ;)
What I did. My level is right on. Thanks.
What I did. My level is right on. Thanks.
Glad top know you're "on the level" with us.... :P
fritz
 
Back
Top