Pyramid fenda extenda now available here in the states

Yeah, I posted about this a short while back. I have mine installed right now!! :)
 
Popgun,

What did you sure to install yours? Mine is supposed to come in today. I have some "super" epoxy I was going to try. Looked at 3M 5200 marine adhesive, but the box didn't list metal or plastic as a suitable surface.
 
On one of the sites, Pyramid in the UK, or the fenda extenda site here, it says this is a adhesive attached part due to the design of the fender.

However, it comes with 4 push type plasitc pop rivits. I did not use those.

The Extenda also has double stick foam tape to hold it in place while drilling holes or glueing.

I would strongly suggest that you remove the fender. It is easy. 2 screws and the brake lines are off, then 4 screws and the fender comes right off.

Then fit the part a number of times until you like the way it fits and looks. Do not peel the tape off yet.

Clean the fender mating surface. I cleaned the plastic with MEK, which is too strong(will melt the plastic), but took the shiny off and mold release, etc. Yeah I was anal. I then took a sharp nail and scratched up the mating surface pretty good to give a better bite for the adhesive.

I used 3M 5200 fast cure. 3m's site says to test on plastics first for suitability, but remember, boats are made of plastic. Fiberglass is known as FRP-Fiberglass re-inforced plastic, or GRP, Glass re-inforced plastic. I know there are different kinds of plastic...

Anyway, after fitting it the way I liked, I peeled off the tape and put a lot of 5200 on the mating surfaces and put it in place. I did use some small clamps to hold it, but the tape did all the work as it turned out.

Notice that when fitting, the extenda will pivot at the tape. Make sure you have it aligned the way you want so it looks like an extension of the fender, following its curve, and isn't pointing at the tire. That left a gap at the front of the mating surface under the fender (the edge farthest from the bottom edge of the fender). I filled that in with the 5200. I have pictures, but as yet still cannot post them. I will send them to you if you want, PM me an email address.

You might want to remove the sticky tape, but that looked like too much work. Also, at first I tried to install the extenda with the fender on the bike. AND, ended up having to remove it with the extenda glued up...

If you leave the tape on, you must use enough adhesive to be above the tape and, enough to fill in the gap at the top of the mating surface if you have one. Use too much and you may have a mess. I actually managed to use just about the right amount, and only have to "caulk" at the gap and around the edges. I had no mess. For once.

After the adhesive sets, re-install the fender, paying attention to the weird little brake line fittings, and you are done--Almost!! Now, re-polish your fender to get your finger prints off of it!! :)

Having said all that, it was easy, and it is not coming off.
 
Popgun,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm going to try to find 3M 5200 quick cure today. Home Deport had the regular cure and I don't want to wait a week.

Update: picked up the eliminator from the woods at the end of my driveway. UPS considers this my "front door" which is actually 200 yards away. I guess they don't have a code for "good luck finding that little box hidded in the ferns at the end of your driveway".

No rivits and no tape were included, just the plastic extenda. No instuctions were included either, but I have your detailed how-to. Again no problem. This piece of plastic is going to help protect the bike. I do a minium of 2 miles on gravel every time I ride.
 
Disclamer: I'm not saying that 5200 is the only adhesive that should be used, just that it works and IS some good stuff easily available for consumer use.

I got my fast cure at Home Depot, was around $8. A store like West Marine will charge maybe $12-14.

The quick cure will tack up within the 2 hours or so. After 24 it was most likely good to go. After 36 I'm pretty sure it was mostly done, but I don't have X-Ray vision. Since it rained, I just ended up waiting the 48 hours.

If you have never used this stuff, do not get it on your clothes. It will not come out. I wore vinyl gloves as it is nasty to get off your hands. Think acetone.

After you get the extenda bonded on, avoid touching the 5200 to see if it is curing. It will stick to your finger and pull a string out. You can wet, or lick, your finger and smooth it out around the edges if desired, but I didn't need to. You can put a dollop of it on something and test that. Thin amounts cure faster than thick amounts. And the edges will set up faster than the rest.

I would try to avoid having it ooze out of where the extenda and the fender meet on the outside of the fender. If you use white (I did) it will look bad and be hard to clean off the extenda. Do so before it cures.



I am not an expert on 5200, I just own a boat...and have used a lot of it.
 
Do you guys think silicone sealant or a construction adhesive like Liquid Nails would do the job?

Both of those things stick to practically anything, remain slightly flexible when cured completely (so it won't crack when dried), thick enough to fill any gaps, etc.? Easier to find in your neighborhood hardware store.

On previous bikes I've used 3M automotive trim adhesive tape to mount my Fenda Extendas but those were plastic fenders.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I have my doubts about liquid nails. I'd rather use the 3M adhesive but silicone caulk may work. I suspect over time it would delaminate.
 
I don't know about liquid nails either. As far as silicone, well, my experience with it is around boats. Silicone will not hold a bond on fiberglass, or gel coat, for very long. I didn't trust it to hold a bond on the Extenda or the fender.

I think a polysulfide or polyurathane is better and used 5200 (polyurathane). I wouldn't doubt there are better comercial adhesives, but I don't know what.

What we need is an adhesive expert on the board!
 
Just did my fenda extenda this morning. The plastic extenda fit perfectly on the fender and it sems to only go on one way: perfectly! I used coarse sandpaper to roughen up the plastic and the fender. I used 2 part epoxy suited for metal and plastic, applied it liberally to both sides and clamped it in place. I'm confident it will stay in place.

3ff2e454edee9a1a2f3cfee73f91172d.jpg
 
Looks Great! Just like mine...

That fork brace is dangerous. You should remove it and send it to me. I'll get rid of it for you... ;)
 
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far I've noticed that mud, etc. does get thrown up as far on the engine. I hate cleaning the front of the engine. I need to find a good brush of some kind I guess.

What epoxy did you use? Don't keep us in suspense dude!! :)
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Do you mean DOESN'T get thrown up as far on the engine?
Ferret, Yes, yes I did! should be DOESN"T get thrown up as far.
I've been following this thread with interest as I have one on my curent ride, a Honda CB900F (919 aka Hornet).
Does anyone know if the extenda will also fit the 2014 models?
 
[/QUOTE]

I've been following this thread with interest as I have one on my curent ride, a Honda CB900F (919 aka Hornet).
Does anyone know if the extenda will also fit the 2014 models?
[/QUOTE]

Installed Fenda Extenda on my 2014 dlx. Fit is perfect.
Used JB weld kwik.
 
I used 3M 5200 fast cure on mine but its good to know that the JB works well too.

FendaExtenda is a nice little farkle that does not cost much, if its your kind of thing.
 
Back
Top