Purchase negotiations 2014 Deluxe

Stich,

11899.00 MSRP
-1500.00
10399.00

After further review, they want more than MSRP for the bike. Without the rebate they want 12,050.00 for a left over. 10K would be a decent price for the bike, without add on accessories.

""John at New England Cycle 888-817-3364 offered me the DLX at 10K last week. Maybe you can use them to negotiate a better price.""
 
Just tell the dealer how much cash you'll give him. If he doesn't like the offer then leave. The prices are set by what folks will pay. There's lots of dealers and different bikes out there.
 
lukeduck_imp said:
Just tell the dealer how much cash you'll give him. If he doesn't like the offer then leave. The prices are set by what folks will pay. There's lots of dealers and different bikes out there.
Look guys,

I agree with y'all in principle about haggling for every penny, and that's great for items like mass produced cars that there are large numbers of. The 14 DLX is a different situation IMHO. I suspect there are not very many of these bikes left for sale new in the U.S. (lots of 13's). We don't know if Honda will even build the CB1100 in the future. They probably will, but who knows for sure. I would go ahead and buy the bike, even though the price is still a little high.

When I bought my 14 DLX with every accessory I probably paid too much, but to me it was worth it in the long run. Sometimes fun has a higher price if you get exactly what you want.
 
I bought a stock 14 deluxe in November and paid a couple bucks shy of $12k OTD including a 9% sales tax and that was before the $1500 rebate that Honda is offering now. The engine guards are nice... I bought the same one from Samurider for less than the dealer has for your purchase. The dealer certainly isn't losing money on this deal.

I'm not sure if "offer him x and be prepared to walk away" works at this point if you really want a 14 deluxe since they are getting few and far between. What I would say is talk only OTD pricing with him so that you both have an equal understanding of all costs associated with the purchase.

I don't regret buying my bike even though I didn't get "a great deal" despite the fact that I come from a family where the chase for the "great deal" is most of the fun of a purchase (yeah, thanks Dad).

Anyway, my two cents. It's a fun bike so go buy it.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Stich,

11899.00 MSRP
-1500.00
10399.00

After further review, they want more than MSRP for the bike. Without the rebate they want 12,050.00 for a left over. 10K would be a decent price for the bike, without add on accessories.

""John at New England Cycle 888-817-3364 offered me the DLX at 10K last week. Maybe you can use them to negotiate a better price.""
I appreciate this crystal-clear perspective - thank you CIP57!
So far, no response from the dealer. I will be out of touch for another 24 hours so I guess we're both sweating it.

I am sensitive to the "not many '14 DLX left" arguments but honesty if they were quite that hot they'd be gone. I am not averse to a nice '13 at the end of the day. I forgot which member painted the side covers black and put on black pipes but that's awesome.
mininsx_imp said:
Since you live in Kentucky (you don't say where, exactly) you might try checking here: http://www.ashlandcycle.com/

I used to live in southern Ohio but I would go across the river to buy from them because I always got an excellent deal there. :thumbsup:
Nice tip! I'm in NKY so I will check them out!
 
If you're not averse to a nice '13, then you could probably get one for 7K or thereabouts and have yourself a really screaming hot deal! Or buy a slightly used one still under warranty with like 700 miles on it for 6 to 7K! There's several different ways to join the club without breaking the bank.
 
I'd like to know where that $1,500.00 from Honda rebate is coming from. The website is only showing a $1,000.00 rebate through May 31, 2015.
 
Doc fees, if you charge them, typically by state law (check yours) they have to charge the same for everybody. I hate doc fees and we never had them when I sold bikes. That said, I have them reduce the vehicle price or add that amount to my trade in.
 
For a datapoint here all, I just picked up a brand new 2014 standard for $7500. Seems a huge delta for the items on the DLX relatively speaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Stichill_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Stich,

11899.00 MSRP
-1500.00
10399.00

After further review, they want more than MSRP for the bike. Without the rebate they want 12,050.00 for a left over. 10K would be a decent price for the bike, without add on accessories.

""John at New England Cycle 888-817-3364 offered me the DLX at 10K last week. Maybe you can use them to negotiate a better price.""
I appreciate this crystal-clear perspective - thank you CIP57!
So far, no response from the dealer. I will be out of touch for another 24 hours so I guess we're both sweating it.

I am sensitive to the "not many '14 DLX left" arguments but honesty if they were quite that hot they'd be gone. I am not averse to a nice '13 at the end of the day. I forgot which member painted the side covers black and put on black pipes but that's awesome.
mininsx_imp said:
Since you live in Kentucky (you don't say where, exactly) you might try checking here: http://www.ashlandcycle.com/

I used to live in southern Ohio but I would go across the river to buy from them because I always got an excellent deal there. :thumbsup:
Nice tip! I'm in NKY so I will check them out!
I am sensitive to the "not many '14 DLX left" arguments but honesty if they were quite that hot they'd be gone. I am not averse to a nice '13 at the end of the day. I forgot which member painted the side covers black and put on black pipes but that's awesome.
That would be mine Stich::


I'm in the process of working out a deal on a New 2014 Ninga 1000 and my bike is in the trade. I was offered 5600 and with tax savings 7.35% would bring it up too 6000.00 If your interested PM me, it would be a nice ride back from the NY metro area this time of year.

My bike is flashed in showroom condition with 7300 miles with Michelin PR3's in very good shape. Custom Seat and side covers are OEM from Japan in matte black
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the offer CIP57. I'm going to do my best to get a DLX. My comment about '13s was more about trying to keep things in perspective. walrusz06 makes a good point...I'm trying to manage the size of the DLX premium. I don't entirely understand it, since they are not necessarily flying off the showroom floor either. The dealer I'm working with can't be all that aware of the STD/DLX delta; he keeps calling the bike a CB1100F.
 
Thread starter
Well, the dealer referenced in this post is playing hard to get. Claims to have the last 2014 DLX in the state....net price is firm. C'est la vie

On Friday I have a couple of other regional bikes to pursue. If nothing else pans out, then this price is close to the market value and I have no problem with that.
 
So I was in your same position 2 weeks ago and what I discovered using a 500 mile radius was that DLX models were going for about 2-3k more than the heavily discounted STD. Honda from the factory identified the difference to be $1500, so the buying choice was clear to me. I only wanted the Abs for safety. The combination of difficulty finding a DLX and the disproportionate price difference made the decision clear for the standard.

I couldn't be happier. I love the look of the black. Timeless classic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
It's a conundrum. I favor the DLX primarily because of the silver engine, but equally because of the larger fuel tank and the 6-speed (both range extenders).

With the STD, I'd give up the larger tank (could be remedied with a swap; $$ tank and seat), but I'm not just a fan of the "murdered-out" look. So from an appearance standpoint I would rather fall back to the US '13 and save even more money. But that means giving up the 5-speed, and still likely wanting to do a tank swap.

Argh...why does Honda have to make it so difficult?
 
Hittheroad has a clean 13 for sale in the classifieds. There is also a 14 dlx in the classifieds, but I think he snuck in before the 25 post limits and hasn't responded to 1 Q on the thread so ????
 
Stichill_imp said:
It's a conundrum. I favor the DLX primarily because of the silver engine, but equally because of the larger fuel tank and the 6-speed (both range extenders).

With the STD, I'd give up the larger tank (could be remedied with a swap; $$ tank and seat), but I'm not just a fan of the "murdered-out" look. So from an appearance standpoint I would rather fall back to the US '13 and save even more money. But that means giving up the 5-speed, and still likely wanting to do a tank swap.

Argh...why does Honda have to make it so difficult?
Stichill, my two cents.

One of the wonderful things about getting older is the gaining of perspective about what is important in life and what isn't. What I learned is that I've NEVER regretted or begrudged any money's I paid for experiences (travel), gifts to others (family and friends), or things that I've wanted after much research. For me, and of course we're all different and value things differently in life (thank goodness) - the decision was an easy one.

I wanted the DLX. I bought one here in Texas less than two months ago for a little over $11K OTD (TX has 6.25% sales tax). The OTD price included the bonus bucks - in other words the dealer put those towards the deal. Was my deal a smoking deal for me? No it wasn't.

However, in a year or two, and again, this is just me - I won't remember exactly what I paid for the CB, and quite frankly I won't / don't care.

But I've learned over the years that I WILL be happy that I bought and now own what I wanted - I won't be dissappointed or wondering what it would be like to have the bike I wanted but didn't buy (regrets). In the end, it's just money, you can always get more of that - IMHO anyway.

Long story short - and sorry about getting philisophical this morning - you should consider what is going to make you happy in the long run. If you're the type that will be more than satisfied and happy with saving the money and getting a smoking hot deal on a bad a$$ 2013 that Honda is giving away right now you should do that. But if you're like me and want what you want - don't sweat the cash and go buy one of the remaining DLX's for yourself, or pick up a used DLX.

As far as I know, we're only here on this Earth once . . . .
 
Thread starter
Very true, treytexag. I appreciate your insights and perspective. I generally approach life from a rational perspective, because when young I tried the irrational approach and it didn't get me very far. So the thinking part of my brain says it is dumb to be engaging as a buyer in a seller's market (it is). But at the end of the day you are right, it's not a substantial difference in this particular instance.

I went ahead and accepted the offer by voicemail and email, so I'm waiting to hear back from them. For all I know the bike is already gone, so I'm just going to chill out and let the universe proceed with its plan.
 
treytexag_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
It's a conundrum. I favor the DLX primarily because of the silver engine, but equally because of the larger fuel tank and the 6-speed (both range extenders).

With the STD, I'd give up the larger tank (could be remedied with a swap; $$ tank and seat), but I'm not just a fan of the "murdered-out" look. So from an appearance standpoint I would rather fall back to the US '13 and save even more money. But that means giving up the 5-speed, and still likely wanting to do a tank swap.

Argh...why does Honda have to make it so difficult?
Stichill, my two cents.

One of the wonderful things about getting older is the gaining of perspective about what is important in life and what isn't. What I learned is that I've NEVER regretted or begrudged any money's I paid for experiences (travel), gifts to others (family and friends), or things that I've wanted after much research. For me, and of course we're all different and value things differently in life (thank goodness) - the decision was an easy one.

I wanted the DLX. I bought one here in Texas less than two months ago for a little over $11K OTD (TX has 6.25% sales tax). The OTD price included the bonus bucks - in other words the dealer put those towards the deal. Was my deal a smoking deal for me? No it wasn't.

However, in a year or two, and again, this is just me - I won't remember exactly what I paid for the CB, and quite frankly I won't / don't care.

But I've learned over the years that I WILL be happy that I bought and now own what I wanted - I won't be dissappointed or wondering what it would be like to have the bike I wanted but didn't buy (regrets). In the end, it's just money, you can always get more of that - IMHO anyway.

Long story short - and sorry about getting philisophical this morning - you should consider what is going to make you happy in the long run. If you're the type that will be more than satisfied and happy with saving the money and getting a smoking hot deal on a bad a$$ 2013 that Honda is giving away right now you should do that. But if you're like me and want what you want - don't sweat the cash and go buy one of the remaining DLX's for yourself, or pick up a used DLX.

As far as I know, we're only here on this Earth once . . . .
i wonder why you think that.
i bought a used DLX a month and a half ago with about 3000 miles on it for $10k OTD (with 2 year honda warranty)(ny tax is 8.something) and i thought i got a good deal.
i had been looking at a 2014 STD for $8200 (which i think USCGMAC ended up buying) and the asking on the deluxe was $8800.
now you have me thinking did i not get as good a deal as i originally thought????
 
Back
Top