Prospective owner

JonC1985_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi im usually a vtwin cruiser guy but the cb has caught my eye. My question is how does it compare power wise to say my v star 1300 or the victory cross country i had (106)? Like is this basically or close to a sport bike motor where even though the cc’s are smaller it still pulls off the line faster than a cruiser because of different gearing and rpms and such? Not sure how that stuff works but i have just about enough saved up for a 2013. I just dont want to hop on and it ends up riding like my 1100 shadow I had for a hot minute. Not looking to go down in CCs but if its a different thing entirely where that doesnt matter than it would help in my purchase decision. Thanks in advance friends.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum. FYI all new posts have to be approved. We do that to keep the scammers out. Since you appear to be legit, post away!
 
Hi JonC1985,

the CB1100 has a lot of torque already in the lower revs. It does run smooth just from idle.

However, it's a complete different beast compared to a vtwin. You should definitely go for an extensive test ride. There are pretty good chances, that you'll love it but who knows...

Also, seat position is different, pegs below your balance and not forward.
 
Welcome JonC1985. What Django says. Go for a serious test ride. This bike is not a cruiser. But nor is it a sports bike.
 
It seems you know only the character of a V (-twin) ......a other engine-construction gives a other character....
And
A other feeling for torque and power...
 
JonC1985_imp said:
Hi im usually a vtwin cruiser guy but the cb has caught my eye. My question is how does it compare power wise to say my v star 1300 or the victory cross country i had (106)? Like is this basically or close to a sport bike motor where even though the cc’s are smaller it still pulls off the line faster than a cruiser because of different gearing and rpms and such? Not sure how that stuff works but i have just about enough saved up for a 2013. I just dont want to hop on and it ends up riding like my 1100 shadow I had for a hot minute. Not looking to go down in CCs but if its a different thing entirely where that doesnt matter than it would help in my purchase decision. Thanks in advance friends.
Tbe CB 1100 is definitely the stronger bike and by no means as 'weak' as the big shadhow I've ridden for 2 years. The 50HP and the torque of it were in good shape, no question for the amount of power it offers. The power of the CB is much more overwhelming using some revs. Not that much revs but you can rev it if you want. The shadow only has a small power band in comparison.

The engine concept of both bikes is very different. The CB runs much smoother than the vibrating Shadow. The fuel consumption is lower and I prefer the classic riding position over the chopperlike one.

Give it a try, I guess you will not be disappointed.

Wisedrum
 
Does it help if I tell you I have never been a fan of cruisers? I have ridden HD FX and Sporty, Honda 1300 cruiser, and other smaller cruisers and find the handling in corners slow. The CB is quick and light with no surprises when pushed in the twisties.

I have ben riding since June of 1966 and enjoy my CB as one of the finest bikes I have ever ridden. Most of the bikes I have owned were standards or sport touring rides, but I even road raced for a short while. The CB will not compare with the sport or race bike, but exceeds them for just plain fun.

So, I'm trying to say: to each there is a perfect bike. If you should try a CB, I hope you will enjoy it as much as most of us here on this forum.
jim
 
JonC1985_imp said:
So essentially this inline 4 can be revd higher and gets there faster?
You can describe it this way.
To give you an idea I post some numbers:

Honda VT 1100 C2 Honda CB1100 (2013)

O-100km/h 6,1sec 4,0sec

60-100km/h 7,9sec 50-120km/h 8,5sec

Topspeed 158km/h 180km/h limited

86 Nm at 2.500/min 90Nm at 5.000/min

50 PS at 4.500/min 90 PS at 7.500/min

1099ccm 1140ccm

Numbers on paper show a lot, the experienced
reality shows more.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Ok so not to beat a dead horse and then im done after this one (again thank you) so basically my 290lb self will be scootin off to the next traffic light noticeably faster than a vtwin cruiser of the same size?
 
Thread starter
Sweet. I mean it was comfortable sitting on it and apparently its faster than my cruisers now its just wether or not i pull the trigger with maybe 3 weeks left of enjoyable riding weather here. Decisions decisions.
 
My previous bike was the torque monster stratoliner 1900.

The forst thing i noticed when test riding the cb was how torquey it was. Love it. Love taking it 2 up too. Will never get rid of it.
 
JonC1985_imp said:
Ok so not to beat a dead horse and then im done after this one (again thank you) so basically my 290lb self will be scootin off to the next traffic light noticeably faster than a vtwin cruiser of the same size?
engine
smaller mass (piston) can be moved faster, fast movement is performance/power (timefactor)

bigger mass dont like fast move specaly by long stroke but it has earlier (at lower rpm) more torque.....and torque you need basical for to move something

and now make the power-timefactor bill:

example
4x 300ccm (small piston mass)
and
2x 600ccm
 
Back
Top