Project Livewire

Firstfour_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Now for something completely different:

Electric Motorcycles & Bikes | Harley-Davidson USA

"The bike offers a visceral riding experience with tire-shredding acceleration and an unmistakable new sound." "The sound is a distinct part of the thrill," said Richer. "Think fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Project LiveWire's unique sound was designed to differentiate it from internal combustion and other electric motorcycles on the market."

It will be interesting to see how that goes over.
 
I have been watching the prices on electrics (Specifically the Zeros) and if Harley starts to sell a good number of these it should wash down the overall price point of these things and increase the number of public charging stations.
 
Hmm...if wanted to go that way, and try an electric, I'm thinking HD would have a better chance of being around in 10 years to support their product, the Zero company...who knows how strong it is? 98% of my rides are under 60 miles anyway. could work.
 
The new breed of Harley riders..no more potato, potato, potato, now it will be whirr whirr whirr

Surprising move by the Motor Company
 
I think Zero as a concept is neat, but the bikes don't "look right" for me. Give me an electric CB with the same performance and we'll talk!
That said, having looked at the Livewire page, I kind of like it. Much more so than the Zero.

I've talked to someone at Zero before about a test ride. I told them about my 'favorite' dealership's policy about not allowing them, and they pointed me to a dealership in Austin that sells many Zeros (Zeroes?). I plan on riding one when I'm up there next.
 
If they're not careful with that design it's going to start looking like those dreaded Japanese motorcycles :D
I have nothing against H-D; I just don't have any interest in them.
 
It kind of reminds me of that Confederate Hellcat with the way the seat is designed. And given that it's a Harley, it will probably cost a good amount like the Hellcat too!
 
I reckon it's a great innovation. Go Harley. I think it's a pity the ad on the website has the bike being ridden into the back of a truck and driven away.

The thing that puts me off electric vehicles is the down time while they charge. If I could get a full day's ride or they could recharge in 20 minutes max, they'll become a serious option.
 
They're not for touring, certainly. I'm big believer in electric power; I own some Tesla stock due to my love of the Model S, and my electric R/C car can go about 70MPH and do 1 to 2 backflips from a standstill, but the downside is I can only do a few runs before I have to go charge again. I think the Model S would be brilliant for driving to work and back though. On a real drive-heavy day for me I'm still coming in under 150 miles, so it wouldn't affect me too badly. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone at night though, and it would be a bummer to do the same thing for my transportation...

Can't come to work today boss, didn't charge the car!
 
Funnily enough, electric bikes are quite a good proposition I places like London as they cost jack cuss to run and are exempt from all the expensive penalties fossil fuel driven vehicles are subject to.

Big bikes, I'll keep my CB1100 thanks, local scoot...I might consider an electric scooter.

I might buy myself a Yamaha Ec-03 for Xmas.
 
I guess that's right. Used in the right context they can be really efficient and useful. When I worked in the city an electric commuter that would get me from home to work and could charge at either end would have been really sensible.
 
Harley's do absolutely nothing for me.

But, I like the size of this bike, the shape of it (for being an e-bike), and it makes an interesting sound too.

None of the previous e-bikes have looked stylish enough for me. If I had a regular work commute, I might consider one of these.

:dodgy:
 
I test rode a Brammo last weekend and it was very fun. I love the idea of sitting silently at a stoplight or in the inevitable traffic jam and then whirring away. I do believe that the real solution is a hybrid with a smallish battery pack and a small internal combustion generator motor. That way you get the good parts of the electric experience, with something more than a 50 mile range. My 10 minute ride on the Brammo used 4% of the available battery energy, so I suspect that the claimed 100 mile range is only possible when using very little of the available performance.
 
Saw some video of this bike on the local news tonight. If they put a real seat on it I might be interested. It's hard to beat an electric for sheer acceleration.

Apparently, the point of the news story was that Harley riders were upset that this bike wasn't like all of the other Harleys. Personally, I think it's a good thing to build bikes that might interest someone besides aging baby boomers.

Speaking of that, anybody heard how the new Harley water cooled 500 and 750 are doing? They were supposed to hit the showrooms in the spring and I haven't heard a thing about them.
 
Philadelphia, mid-July...I'm there!!!
It's definitely a cool-looking bike, but I'm wondering how the loud-bike Harley community will miss the V-twin sound.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Philadelphia, mid-July...I'm there!!!
It's definitely a cool-looking bike, but I'm wondering how the loud-bike Harley community will miss the V-twin sound.
I'm sure their potato growlers are going nowhere anytime soon!
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Philadelphia, mid-July...I'm there!!!
It's definitely a cool-looking bike, but I'm wondering how the loud-bike Harley community will miss the V-twin sound.
I'm sure their potato growlers are going nowhere anytime soon!
Nothing much has changed then?
 
Though electric bikes will be useful as commuters and errand runners I would never own one. Without the mechanical sounds of an IC engine and the pleasure derived from the coordinated use of clutch, gear change and throttle, I would just as soon drive the cage.
 
I'd ride one. Read they are a rush to ride. One of my bikes is a 400 Majesty scooter. No shifting, gas and go.not much engine noise either. Riding an e bike would be a lot like that I suppose only much more instant acceleration.
 
Back
Top