Production #

Chapomis_imp said:
How do I cipher the production number ? Is it the last few digits of the VIN ?
I was looking at the VIN and wondering the same thing.

When I see folks post up here their "production" number, does that come from the VIN? AND, does it also mean that it was that number of the particular model built that year too? IOW's, if it says VIN: XXXXXXXX272 - is that the 272nd whatever CB1100 model for the year produced?
 
I searched the archives with the key word "production number" and found 4 threads including this one.

I re-read one of them, the others were too long. In the one instance I found they were talking about the production numbers of CB's being low.. translated means Honda didn't make many of them ( comparatively speaking)

Honda does not give out production or sales figures of individual motorcycles for the most part, and we can only guess that vin numbers are sequential and would give some indication of the total number built, but we can also only use the sampling of vins that are voluntarily given to us. Given that we have just over 2000 members, but only several hundred have supplied vins world wide, we really have no inkling as to how many were produced, but the lowest vin we have is 0002 a 2013 ABS from North Carolina USA and the highest 2232 a 2014 black std from California USA and we have them from over a dozen countries. It's unlikely the production number since 2010 total many more than 20,000 bikes, but that is just a guess on my part.
 
The ferret, thanks for the info.

I guess a better example of what I was wondering about was, perhaps, a more "vauge" reference to a unit number that I saw here. I'm not sure where I saw it. Maybe it was something like the reference to a number shown on Motogeezer's tag line where he talks about his sons DLX #00095. I was curious if that was like the 95th unit made of the DLX's, which of course is a 2014 year only.

Sounds like Motogeezer's reference to his sons DLX #00095 has nothing to do with production number or sequential number of the unit manufactured.
__________________________________________________________________________

Post: #6RE: The moto gods are angry with me!!!
Rain suit (IMO, 2 piece, with a good collar)! Glove overs! Boot overs ('cause waterproof boots aren't after 4 hours)! Good full face!
Sucks, but sometimes ya gotta do it Wink
Motogeezer
Living vicariously through sons Red DLX, #00095
 
well it very well could have been the 95th one made. That is the last 4 digits of his vin or vehicle identification number, and I do believe they are sequential, but we don't generally refer to them as the production number, but rather refer to them as the vin number

Kind of confusing I guess.
 
My, yet to be delivered, 2014 Deluxe is #00085 according to the VIN. Not sure if it means anything but it's certinaly interesting that several dlx owners have VINs in a series like that.
 
Spakins and Champomis, I've added you both to the Register, thereby altering the statistics in post #5!
 
Back
Top