Problems using my S5 as a video camera on the bike

DBM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I recently upgraded my cell phone from a Galaxy S5 to a Note 8. I have been using my old S5 as a music player and off line GPS with Google maps. It is working great. Yesterday on my ride l tried to use it as a video recorder as l rode my Black Beauty through some local twisties. I was having problems with some unknow electronic interfearence causing the video to pulsate with waves across the screen. I tried changing camera position, turning off other apps, unplugging the USB power, etc, but nothing worked to solve my issue. This phone has recorded countless hours of perfect video footage over the last few years in my hand. Anybody had this problem? I can post a link to the footage if needed. This was not just vibration, it was sometime else l have never seen. Looking for help to solve this issue. Thx
 
You may want to ask thedroidguy.com
 
You might, and I say might, be getting interference from the bike’s serial data bus if the phone is mounted by the meter panel. Or maybe ECU leakage or some such. Unless its external interference.

On the Navy base in Norfolk there are LOTS of areas that mess up phones or kill cell reception. Lots of RF of various sorts on a Navy base.

Probably should what Sportsterdoc says...
 
I am wondering if the phone was - by fluke - sensitive to spark ignition interference? This the first time using the phone while riding the CB? Maybe I misunderstood, but did the problem persist after you walked away from the CB?
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am wondering if the phone was - by fluke - sensitive to spark ignition interference? This the first time using the phone while riding the CB? Maybe I misunderstood, but did the problem persist after you walked away from the CB?
As stated above, lve been using the S5 as a off line GPS and music player on the bike with no issues. It was when l tried to use the video recorder that l had problems.
 
GoldOxide makes a very important point DBM, we don't know on what position of the bike if any you used the phone.
Give it some thought, could you see it in the phone's screen whilst recording or was it only visible when the video was played back and is it still happening when the bike is switched off?

If you can see it whilst recording it may be a good idea to see where on the bike is it worst and how far away it stops , remember you are the only one of us that has seen this, so for a more conclusive result you would want to help us find your answer. :thumbsup:

By the way are you still enjoying the cb?
 
Thread starter
I am thoughly enjoying my black beauty. It is my dream bike bone stock. A few minor adjustments and all is well. 3k miles so far. My buddies are doing their best to keep me in sight on the local twisties. Could not be happier. Oh, by the way, l paid 5,999.00 new
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am wondering if the phone was - by fluke - sensitive to spark ignition interference? This the first time using the phone while riding the CB? Maybe I misunderstood, but did the problem persist after you walked away from the CB?
Good thought, although popgun's concern about the serial data bus may be more likely since standard spark plugs are resistor (LMAR8A-9S 6817).

However, any arcing from a loose spark plug cap could be an issue. Does not explain why it only affects video.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am wondering if the phone was - by fluke - sensitive to spark ignition interference? This the first time using the phone while riding the CB? Maybe I misunderstood, but did the problem persist after you walked away from the CB?
Good thought, although popgun's concern about the serial data bus may be more likely since standard spark plugs are resistor (LMAR8A-9S 6817).

However, any arcing from a loose spark plug cap could be an issue. Does not explain why it only affects video.
Good thought, although popgun's concern about the serial data bus may be more likely since standard spark plugs are resistor (LMAR8A-9S 6817).

However, any arcing from a loose spark plug cap could be an issue. Does not explain why it only affects video.
I agree with a possible loose spark connection or questionable lead wire under the tank. However, I can't see any serial data bus creating interference with video. High-speed serial links are supposed to be shielded, but even still, the shielding is there to protect the serial link data, not the other way around.

In regards to the video driver and/or screen module: It could be possible that over time an "antenna" has formed (e.g. something come loose, something lightly shorting inside) in the phone circuitry related to the video that is picking up on interference and corrupting scan data. Of course, you will need to determine if it is being recorded that way, in which case it is not a video problem but a camera or write storage problem (e.g. micro SD card connector does not like the CB subtle vibration?). Is the playback okay on another device and/or away from the bike?
 
DBM, I experienced something similar several months back. This was with an iPhone, but turned out to be a hardware issue that might still affect other brands.

First, I was playing around with an app that claims to turn your smart phone video camera into a dash cam. Without going into all the details, it was a fine app but I determined it wasn’t going to work on my bike because the video feed would show a wavy image like you describe and it seemed rpm sensitive. Higher revs would increase the distortion. I tried different mounting positions but nothing helped. Long story short...not useful.

Days later I was out on a ride and stopped to take a photo with my phone. I couldn’t get the camera to focus and I could actually hear the camera mechanism whining and grinding like it wasn't sure what to do next. I went ahead and snapped a picture and got this:

a84355d9bf228391fe015fd20ef1fd88.jpg



The distortion is similar to what the video feed was producing. From that point forward I could rarely get my camera to focus on anything unless is was a closeup shot. Neat effect, though.
 
The problem you are seeing is not interference but rather vibration.

Cell phone cameras have a built in "image stabilization" mechanism. The camera has a small amount of fluid in the mounting system that allows it to float and cancel out low frequency vibrations. The vibrations on a motorcycle far exceed the design of the camera. This is why the video is sensitive to RPM changes.

Using the camera on a motorcycle can actually cause the camera to fail.
 
Well I just learned something new. Thanks for that Kenny.
 
kennyw_imp said:
The problem you are seeing is not interference but rather vibration.

Cell phone cameras have a built in "image stabilization" mechanism. The camera has a small amount of fluid in the mounting system that allows it to float and cancel out low frequency vibrations. The vibrations on a motorcycle far exceed the design of the camera. This is why the video is sensitive to RPM changes.

Using the camera on a motorcycle can actually cause the camera to fail.
Exactly what I observed and experienced.
 
So it is the camera.

I know the Samsung rear cameras move when idle (relaxed). So the vibrations are not friendly to likely most Samsung phones, and probably other brands too.
 
I had the same issue with a go pro knockoff I bought on Amazon too.
 
This knock-off (Eken labelled) works as well as my ol' GoPro on the CB1100. I have directly mounted this device on the bike successfully in multiple locations, as well on my riding jacket and helmet. The flicks are very good. The remote adds excellent control reliability and convenience value. When Ekens go on sale, they are difficult to ignore.
 
Back
Top