PRIVATE MECHANIC

physiolee_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi,
I'm from Long beach,90805. quiet new to this forum. Wondering any of you know any private mechanic for CB1100. I gotta get my 8000 mile service done. Bike needs valve adjustment and the honda showroom is quoting 1000 bucks . over 900 just for labor. That's crazy.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ping me @ 310-347-7968. or amarakbarantony83@gmail.com
:biker:
 
Pysiolee,

Checking valve clearance isn't that big a deal. But, if any need adjustment the cams have to be removed. That really adds to the labor time.
 
My suggestion, in case you haven't already done so: Go to some vintage bike nights. Ask for The Honda Guy. There's usually a mature, semi-retired Honda mechanic hanging out, who has his own little home shop and still dabbles with bikes. Their rates are good, work impeccable. They're out there, just gotta find 'em ;) I know the best one in central Florida, and he works on all my bikes regardless of make. He's a gem ;) Good luck!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
This thread will give you an idea of what is involved

Valve Inspection.

This one shows where another member was quoted about 1/3 of what you were quoted

Valve Check/adjustment cost

I don't think your shop wants the job.

.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
The dealer quoted 900 labor charge for an 8k mile servicing which according to their manual is a 9 hr job. When I told I'll find a local mechanic they gave me an instant 20% off, now quoting 700. Or I can just get a basic oil change and general servicing done for 225 right now and get the valve checked may be at 10k.
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
My suggestion, in case you haven't already done so: Go to some vintage bike nights. Ask for The Honda Guy. There's usually a mature, semi-retired Honda mechanic hanging out, who has his own little home shop and still dabbles with bikes. Their rates are good, work impeccable. They're out there, just gotta find 'em ;) I know the best one in central Florida, and he works on all my bikes regardless of make. He's a gem ;) Good luck!
Thanks a lot MOTOGEEZER1949. will surely check with the local bike show. I was looking for someone like that who you can trust and have for lifelong.
 
225.00 for an oil change and service? Your dealer sounds like he is taking total advantage of your inexperience. Do the oil change yourself. If you don't know how then search it on YouTube and learn. Don't throw your money away unless you have countless funds and don't care. A oil change has to be one of the simplest jobs you can do yourself. Learn how to adjust and lube the chain. Very simple. No reason why an average person can't perform most of the maintenance themselves. Don't be afraid to do some of this yourself. Once you start to do your own maintenance you will be proud of yourself and have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I cannot echo the sentiments of USCGMAC enough. On the center stand the oil change is very doable and yes, satisfying. You actually know what went into the bike and that it was done correctly. Plus it gives you the opportunity to spend a little facetime with the underside of the bike.

I recently expanded my maintenance boundaries by flushing and changing the hydraulic brake and cutch systems. VERY satisfying. I installed resistors to slow my replacement rear lights LED hyperblinking. Just a search of the net and youtube and there we have it. Very satisfying. I relocated my rear blinkers using premade wires from Webike. The stock lights are in the way of almost any saddle bags. A little time but worked out great.

I learned about the 3M clear plastic application to protect the gas tank. It takes a little effort to master the techniques to avoid wrinkles but the tutorial on this forum is excellent. Take your time and plan your task. Even if you do not rush, you will save time in the long run by not having to transport your bike to the mechanic.

Study Ferret's maintenance tutorial. I printed it and it lives in my motorcycle file.

This forum is the best for assistance in riding, accessories, maintenance and safety.

It is fun to take the mystery out of our motorcycles.

George
Arizona
 
All great advice. But if you're uncomfortable or unable to perform the work yourself, then absolutely seek out another dealer and get their quote. I think you'll find the first dealer to be out of line.
 
There may be a forum member near that can mentor. I did that for a new rider here.

Also Walmart auto repair area will accept it he used oil if that is an issue.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Also join a local rider forum. You may find people there that will be willing to help and swap stories in the bargain! Might need a thick skin since those boards can be a little rough and the language a little salty.
 
$1000 is a lot of California money. Remember sales guy in the Hayward SF Bay Area telling me it's about $300-400 when I got the bike .. Should be definitely possible to DIY if you have the manual with a ill bit of help from other seasoned forum members in your area
 
Thread starter
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate all your help. I'm gonna research a bit this weekend and see if I can do it by myself. Mean time I'll look for another dealer or the vintage bike show too.
I used to change oil, adjust chain, brakes, replaced flat tire on my ROYAL ENFIELD 500cc. Now its just that I don't get time to do it myself.
 
This is the thread I was referring to. I have it printed out and on my CB1100 clipboard along with several other meaningful tutorials.

George
 
I drop my used oil at Auto Zone with no questions asked. I save the one gallon Arizona ice tea jugs that my wife buys and pour the used oil into them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Canadian Tire stores here in Canada accept used oil no questions asked.

My first container was a windshield washer fluid jug. After that the empty Honda oil jug.

The only thing I have a problem recycling is fluorescent light bulbs and tubes. Home Depot is five minutes away, but stopped accepting them. The closest now is Lowes half an hour away. Do the politicians really expect a person to waste an hour's gas and time to recycle a lightbulb? The law should be if you sell them, you recycle them! :idea:
 
I have to second Autozone. Great guys. No restriction on how much oil. It is a nice service they provide.

George
Arizona
 
Back
Top