Preferred Brake Light Bar Farkles

TooManyBikes_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
$149?

Looks like a $8 Pep Boys bargain bin clearance sale part...


We already have a nice large tail light- so many of us put a simple brighter LED bulb in it that flashes a few times upon activation.

I also wouldn't trust a car driver to realize that half of that trucker garb blinking would mean a turn signal in any given direction.

I personally also threw a set of LED rings into my '13 blinkers that light up red when I brake...but normal orange when on...and brighter orange when blinking.
 
I have replaced the tail/brake bulbs on my bikes with brigher LED bulbs, simple enough.

Since I have Givi top box mounting plates on all of my bikes, I have this setup on all of them as well. This is a Truflex 45-LED strip tucked under the rear of the Givi mount plate, attached to simple brackets I mount under the rear of the Givi plate. Since the light bar is flexible, it bends to the slight V-shape of the rear of the plate. Wired to the brake light through a simple two-dollar GS100A brake light flasher module, that flashes a few times before going solid. They make these light tubes with integrated brake/turn signal options, but I just use a solid red as a brake light only. Bright as heck.

It puts an added brake light up high, above the normal brake light, more in sight line with whatever is behind me. Plus it's clean and unnoticable when you look at the back of the bike.

TruFLEX Red LED Light Strips for Flexible Light Bars
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
$149?

Looks like a $8 Pep Boys bargain bin clearance sale part...


We already have a nice large tail light- so many of us put a simple brighter LED bulb in it that flashes a few times upon activation.

I also wouldn't trust a car driver to realize that half of that trucker garb blinking would mean a turn signal in any given direction.

I personally also threw a set of LED rings into my '13 blinkers that light up red when I brake...but normal orange when on...and brighter orange when blinking.
Was once riding behind a friend and when he braked, a pair of extra lights came on. THAT grabbed my attention. Have been a fan of extra normally dark brake lights ever since.

Yes, it was expensive but works well - have not YET been rear ended. (Turn signal flashing is nothing that excites me either.) Bought occasional wrecked parts bikes throughout the years. MANY of these had been rear-ended.

Your idea to add LED rings into your blinkers sounds like a good way to add normally dark bulbs to light up when braking!:thanks: Can you get these to pulse?
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have replaced the tail/brake bulbs on my bikes with brigher LED bulbs, simple enough.

Since I have Givi top box mounting plates on all of my bikes, I have this setup on all of them as well. This is a Truflex 45-LED strip tucked under the rear of the Givi mount plate, attached to simple brackets I mount under the rear of the Givi plate. Since the light bar is flexible, it bends to the slight V-shape of the rear of the plate. Wired to the brake light through a simple two-dollar GS100A brake light flasher module, that flashes a few times before going solid. They make these light tubes with integrated brake/turn signal options, but I just use a solid red as a brake light only. Bright as heck.

It puts an added brake light up high, above the normal brake light, more in sight line with whatever is behind me. Plus it's clean and unnoticable when you look at the back of the bike.

TruFLEX Red LED Light Strips for Flexible Light Bars
Nice idea. Not sure about riding with a top box, yet like the way your idea could be adapted to any luggage rack. Inexpensive too!
 
TooManyBikes_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
$149?

Looks like a $8 Pep Boys bargain bin clearance sale part...


We already have a nice large tail light- so many of us put a simple brighter LED bulb in it that flashes a few times upon activation.

I also wouldn't trust a car driver to realize that half of that trucker garb blinking would mean a turn signal in any given direction.

I personally also threw a set of LED rings into my '13 blinkers that light up red when I brake...but normal orange when on...and brighter orange when blinking.
Was once riding behind a friend and when he braked, a pair of extra lights came on. THAT grabbed my attention. Have been a fan of extra normally dark brake lights ever since.

Yes, it was expensive but works well - have not YET been rear ended. (Turn signal flashing is nothing that excites me either.) Bought occasional wrecked parts bikes throughout the years. MANY of these had been rear-ended.

Your idea to add LED rings into your blinkers sounds like a good way to add normally dark bulbs to light up when braking!:thanks: Can you get these to pulse?
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have replaced the tail/brake bulbs on my bikes with brigher LED bulbs, simple enough.

Since I have Givi top box mounting plates on all of my bikes, I have this setup on all of them as well. This is a Truflex 45-LED strip tucked under the rear of the Givi mount plate, attached to simple brackets I mount under the rear of the Givi plate. Since the light bar is flexible, it bends to the slight V-shape of the rear of the plate. Wired to the brake light through a simple two-dollar GS100A brake light flasher module, that flashes a few times before going solid. They make these light tubes with integrated brake/turn signal options, but I just use a solid red as a brake light only. Bright as heck.

It puts an added brake light up high, above the normal brake light, more in sight line with whatever is behind me. Plus it's clean and unnoticable when you look at the back of the bike.

TruFLEX Red LED Light Strips for Flexible Light Bars
Nice idea. Not sure about riding with a top box, yet like the way your idea could be adapted to any luggage rack. Inexpensive too!
If you're not thinking of using a rear rack, I put one of those Truflex 45 LED strips on my Bonneville's license plate frame in the same position as that Admore light before I put a rack on that bike, so I'd at least have an auxillary LED flashing brake strip. It's about as long as a U.S. motorcycle plate, and is very slim, so not really visible when it's not lit up. Self-adhesive with 3M tape, so just stick on, route the wires and connect.

When I did put a Givi rack on that bike, I kept the strip on the license plate and added another one under the Givi rack like my other bikes, with its own GS100A flasher unit. Now when I hit the brakes on that bike, looks like Christmas with two LED strips plus the regular LED brake light.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
TooManyBikes_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
$149?

Looks like a $8 Pep Boys bargain bin clearance sale part...


We already have a nice large tail light- so many of us put a simple brighter LED bulb in it that flashes a few times upon activation.

I also wouldn't trust a car driver to realize that half of that trucker garb blinking would mean a turn signal in any given direction.

I personally also threw a set of LED rings into my '13 blinkers that light up red when I brake...but normal orange when on...and brighter orange when blinking.
Was once riding behind a friend and when he braked, a pair of extra lights came on. THAT grabbed my attention. Have been a fan of extra normally dark brake lights ever since.

Yes, it was expensive but works well - have not YET been rear ended. (Turn signal flashing is nothing that excites me either.) Bought occasional wrecked parts bikes throughout the years. MANY of these had been rear-ended.

Your idea to add LED rings into your blinkers sounds like a good way to add normally dark bulbs to light up when braking!:thanks: Can you get these to pulse?
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have replaced the tail/brake bulbs on my bikes with brigher LED bulbs, simple enough.

Since I have Givi top box mounting plates on all of my bikes, I have this setup on all of them as well. This is a Truflex 45-LED strip tucked under the rear of the Givi mount plate, attached to simple brackets I mount under the rear of the Givi plate. Since the light bar is flexible, it bends to the slight V-shape of the rear of the plate. Wired to the brake light through a simple two-dollar GS100A brake light flasher module, that flashes a few times before going solid. They make these light tubes with integrated brake/turn signal options, but I just use a solid red as a brake light only. Bright as heck.

It puts an added brake light up high, above the normal brake light, more in sight line with whatever is behind me. Plus it's clean and unnoticable when you look at the back of the bike.

TruFLEX Red LED Light Strips for Flexible Light Bars
Nice idea. Not sure about riding with a top box, yet like the way your idea could be adapted to any luggage rack. Inexpensive too!
If you're not thinking of using a rear rack, I put one of those Truflex 45 LED strips on my Bonneville's license plate frame in the same position as that Admore light before I put a rack on that bike, so I'd at least have an auxillary LED flashing brake strip. It's about as long as a U.S. motorcycle plate, and is very slim, so not really visible when it's not lit up. Self-adhesive with 3M tape, so just stick on, route the wires and connect.

When I did put a Givi rack on that bike, I kept the strip on the license plate and added another one under the Givi rack like my other bikes, with its own GS100A flasher unit. Now when I hit the brakes on that bike, looks like Christmas with two LED strips plus the regular LED brake light.
NICE! And simple too. Found the Truflex 45 LED strips on Amazon. Did you splice in the wiring to the main harness, find or make a plug and play connector, connect through fuse block, or???
 
I hate cutting or splicing wires, but if I recall correctly, I used a Posi-Tap connector on each of the pos/neg wires going to the brake light. They're pretty clever, and minimally invasive, just putting a small pinhole in the wire insulation. Sort of hard to find these days in hardware stores, but Amazon has them.

Ran the wires to the GS100A flasher, then to the TruFlex wires. Being LEDs, they draw such little power that I didn't bother running separate fuses for them, and they work fine on all of my bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-14-16-Ch...r=8-5&th=1

Here's the GS100A flasher.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG]https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG
 
Here's another concept for you.
In addition to the LED brake strips on the back of my bikes, I also run a Brake Free light on the back of my helmets.

This is pretty clever. It has multiple settings to run as a regular taillight with full or partial LEDs, and an accelerometer that detects deceleration and kicks all of the LEDs on full bright when you slow down.

You attach a mount to the back of your helmet that sticks with 3M tape, and the light clicks into the mount. I have multiple helmets and swap the light to whichever helmet I'm going to wear. A charge lasts a long time - I'll charge it every week or so if I remember to, and it flashes one of the LEDs when you start it to indicate the battery level.

I can't see the back of my head to verify that it works, but a rider in my neighboring office has one too, and I can see it kick on when he slows, even before his brake light comes on.

Brake Free Helmet Brake Light
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I hate cutting or splicing wires, but if I recall correctly, I used a Posi-Tap connector on each of the pos/neg wires going to the brake light. They're pretty clever, and minimally invasive, just putting a small pinhole in the wire insulation. Sort of hard to find these days in hardware stores, but Amazon has them.

Ran the wires to the GS100A flasher, then to the TruFlex wires. Being LEDs, they draw such little power that I didn't bother running separate fuses for them, and they work fine on all of my bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-14-16-Ch...r=8-5&th=1

Here's the GS100A flasher.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG]https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG
What about getting rid of the flasher and wiring mods and just use one of these bulbs instead?

Amazon.com
 
Tev62_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I hate cutting or splicing wires, but if I recall correctly, I used a Posi-Tap connector on each of the pos/neg wires going to the brake light. They're pretty clever, and minimally invasive, just putting a small pinhole in the wire insulation. Sort of hard to find these days in hardware stores, but Amazon has them.

Ran the wires to the GS100A flasher, then to the TruFlex wires. Being LEDs, they draw such little power that I didn't bother running separate fuses for them, and they work fine on all of my bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-14-16-Ch...r=8-5&th=1

Here's the GS100A flasher.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG]https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-GS-100A-Controller-Flasher-12V-24V/dp/B01F4OKWSG
What about getting rid of the flasher and wiring mods and just use one of these bulbs instead?

Amazon.com
That bulb looks pretty cool. If I were going for the high-speed, low-drag approach without adding anything to the bike, I'd definitely go with a simple bulb replacement. But, I wanted to add another red thing to the back of the bike, especially a little higher up from the factory taillight and on the back of the rack, as the rack itself might obsure the taillight a bit from some angles.
 
Back
Top