Pre cut ignition key

Fred_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Does anyone know why my (two different) dealers will not sell me a pre cut key based on the code attached to the factory issue key tag? The ones I have had cut by hardware stores and a locksmith only work in the gas cap and helmet holder
 
If the key is not turning in the ignition lock it must be cut incorrectly or the longitudinal slots on the blank are not sized properly. I've had a similar problem with a key of another brand and ended up going to a different locksmith who resolved the problem.
 
Agree with redbirds. You need to find a good locksmith. I have an excellent one locally, and he even said that to copy my CB key would take some work. I didn't have the CB with me. I think he realized there would be an issue, because after he made me the copy, he said to come right back with the bike. I tried the key he made and it was not completely bad, but gave me problems. I brought the bike and key back to him and he examined it and did some hand filing, and made it perfect.

So maybe for some reason our CB keys are a little difficult to copy? IDK.
 
Fred,

At my dealer, they said you can only order blanks. And if you look in the listing that IS all you can order. Then, they can cut the key using your number. BUT. My dealer's cutting tool is kind of nipper device that they put cutting dies in based on your number (and they didn't have the one/s for my bike) and said the tool doesn't work worth a darn anyway. They sent me to a locksmith and he copied my Honda key blanks and all was well.
 
I bought mine used and the previous owner had an extra made from my dealer. The extra is a bit sticky and kind of frustrating, but generally works okay. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure why I'm still using it...
 
When you have the hardware store guy make a key, make sure they cut the "shoulders" back to match the original key. An inexperienced guy will miss that most of the time and it will only open the gas cap and the helmet lock, won't go deep enough for the ignition. Point it out before they start cutting and they'll probably make you a good key. I have copies that work very smoothly.
 
I forgot to mention to steer clear of Lowes and Home Depot for keys. Never had ANY luck with them even after going back two more times with the same keys to have them try again.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
I forgot to mention to steer clear of Lowes and Home Depot for keys. Never had ANY luck with them even after going back two more times with the same keys to have them try again.
Very Good, Thanks.
 
So, if I understand the gist of this thread correctly, you can only purchase our CB1100 key blanks from a Honda dealer (~$30 each ?) and if you are wise, you will need to visit a competent locksmith to ensure that they are cut properly?
 
You can purchase HONDA blanks at the dealer (or on-line). And the dealer may or may not cut them for you.

Some members bought generic blanks at a locksmith and had them cut there. There was a thread on this.
 
And if you really want, you could get the generic blank and buy the little Honda emblems that are on your Honda key and stick them on. You can actually order them. I have 4 at home! They are peel and stick.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And if you really want, you could get the generic blank and buy the little Honda emblems that are on your Honda key and stick them on. You can actually order them. I have 4 at home! They are peel and stick.
No way! I had no idea they were available. Sweet!.
 
Thread starter
I bought three honda blanks from someone in ebay for $10 but they are red not black. I thought they did not work because they were somehow different so bought the $30 one from The dealer and it looks the same to me except for the color. I will get it cut soon and let you know

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
 
I don't know what to think. I see key blanks on ebay for the 2013 Honda CB1100 but are NOT compatible with the 2014 Honda CB1100. Why would this be or is this possibly a mistake?
 
Here in Australia you have to get the blanks from Honda because of the HISS chip.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And if you really want, you could get the generic blank and buy the little Honda emblems that are on your Honda key and stick them on. You can actually order them. I have 4 at home! They are peel and stick.
No way! I had no idea they were available. Sweet!.
No way! I had no idea they were available. Sweet!.
You'd be surprised what you can find when you look over the parts listings. But here is the part number: 35113-MGP-000
There is one emblem per bag.

Here is a link: http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8dadf870022e4ccd3255/fuel-tank-fuel-pump
Item 6
 
Popgun thats a fuel tank/pump link and there is no number 6 that I see lol
 
Back
Top