Power commander.

kmoney_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Installed a PC V yesterday (managed to get it new in box on Ebay for $175). Just had to say what a great addition this thing is to the bike. Running stock bike and stock PC map. Doesn't feel like any more power (as others have reported), but all the hesitation on tip-in and part throttle operation is completely gone. It makes the bike much more rideable and smooth, especially in the city. Definetely a worthwhile upgrade for anyone thinking about getting one.
 
kmoney_imp said:
Installed a PC V yesterday (managed to get it new in box on Ebay for $175). Just had to say what a great addition this thing is to the bike. Running stock bike and stock PC map. Doesn't feel like any more power (as others have reported), but all the hesitation on tip-in and part throttle operation is completely gone. It makes the bike much more rideable and smooth, especially in the city. Definetely a worthwhile upgrade for anyone thinking about getting one.
Agreed. Love mine. The PCV map makes the most changes in the 2500 to 3500 RPM range, which is pretty much the sweet spot for the CB. And, to you point, it is not that it really makes the bike more powerful, but it does greatly smooth out the performance in that range, and feels less flat, or more meaty if you will.

Green shows increases (rich) over stock map...
6cf4c3ccb62c643b1350e9ef2a73b56a.jpg
 
Yep, kinda fills in the lean spots, when I had mine.
Eventually went to an ECU flash which does what the PCV does to fuel mixture
plus timing tweaks and MPH limit removed and no extra wires hanging around.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Yep, kinda fills in the lean spots, when I had mine.
Eventually went to an ECU flash which does what the PCV does to fuel mixture
plus timing tweaks and MPH limit removed and no extra wires hanging around.
Had our knowledge of Mr. Guhl and his services been more prevalent before I purchased my PCV, I would have likely gone that route. But, the extra revs, and speed, are not something I am missing. Plus, I like the option of getting the PCV mapped specifically to my bike, on a local dyno, even though I imagine I will never exercise it!
:D
 
Got my PC-V from a fellow CB1100forum.com member. I agree, no extra power boost, but smoother all across the board.
BTW; mine is a 2014 CB1100 Deluxe with dual pipes and dual O2 sensors (had to buy/install a second O2 eliminator).
 
More "meaty" in the 2500 - 3500 range? That's a fast idle. In slow city traffic or on the highway cruising at the speed limit (3300RPM) it would be useful but otherwise I generally am in the 4000 - 6000 range so I think I could give it a miss. But if it it feels good for you, then do it.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
More "meaty" in the 2500 - 3500 range? That's a fast idle. In slow city traffic or on the highway cruising at the speed limit (3300RPM) it would be useful but otherwise I generally am in the 4000 - 6000 range so I think I could give it a miss. But if it it feels good for you, then do it.

Cheers
Geez, you drink a lot of caffeine down there or something, I too am in the 2.5 to 3.5K range most of the time.....but if you look at the graph supplied by PCV, it will even help high revving people like yourself.
 
Not written with any animus, but I am going to continue to challenge the notion that ECU re-flashes and Power Commanders perform an identical function on the CB1100. Simply not so.

Guhl re-flashed my ECU. Told him I had a PCV and was going to have it dyno-tuned. He asked me to send him mapping files when I was finished.

The re-flash eliminated the speed limiter, and raised the RPM's. And...it had some semblance of a fuel map, but not for my bike. (full Yosh exhaust, K & N filter)

The dyno-tune eliminated a "lot" of popping on decel due to lean mapping after I installed the re-flashed ECU. It also gave me a more linear power band.

The re-flash was to restore the motor to what Honda had built in it before strangling it. The PCV is to make the fuel map work for "my" bike and "my" throttle desires.
 
IMO, both work in concert. The PCV takes the tune to the next step. I've never had a complaint about the way the CB runs stock, it revs well and pulls hard. The only thing I was disappointed with was the speed limiter.
Next week I'll have a printout of baseline consisting of flashed ECU and full Yoshimura and a dyno "tuned" graph, with PCV and intake mods adding K&N pod filters. Will share the results, including a seat of the pants eval ;)
 
Guhl had my CB in his shop on his Dyno, he did ask for the PCV map as a starting point for the fuel mixture.
So he did add fuel mixture changes to the ECU, very close to what the PCV map does, and the timing advances and removal of speed limits.
So in my case, the ECU flash replaced the PCV + more......
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Guhl had my CB in his shop on his Dyno, he did ask for the PCV map as a starting point for the fuel mixture.
So he did add fuel mixture changes to the ECU, very close to what the PCV map does, and the timing advances and removal of speed limits.
So in my case, the ECU flash replaced the PCV + more......
BIG difference!!! :-/:-/

And the only instance where the ECU re-flash can substitute for the Power Commander.
 
Hikertoo, I was curious what kind of exhaust you had on your cb. I was thinking about getting my ECU reflashed because Ive got a Yoshi full exhaust installed but was curious if Guhls had any bikes with this setup, thanks.
 
hxd148_imp said:
Hikertoo, I was curious what kind of exhaust you had on your cb. I was thinking about getting my ECU reflashed because Ive got a Yoshi full exhaust installed but was curious if Guhls had any bikes with this setup, thanks.
As far as I know, mine has been the only one in his shop.
I have a 13' CB1100 with Staintune and stock intake filter, same as when it was on hi Dyno.
I would think he uses the results from my Dyno for most any CB owner who asks to have their ECU reflashed, unless you ask for something different, like one member here asked for ONLY the rev bump and speed limiter be removed, no fuel or timing tweaks. or maybe if you have full exhaust and intake changes, get a Dyno with the PCV somewhere else, he could apply those fuel maps to the ECU , plus the timing and rev/speed changes.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
More "meaty" in the 2500 - 3500 range? That's a fast idle. In slow city traffic or on the highway cruising at the speed limit (3300RPM) it would be useful but otherwise I generally am in the 4000 - 6000 range so I think I could give it a miss. But if it it feels good for you, then do it.

Cheers
Geez, you drink a lot of caffeine down there or something, I too am in the 2.5 to 3.5K range most of the time.....but if you look at the graph supplied by PCV, it will even help high revving people like yourself.
Not the caffeine, just the riding style. On the straight I feel uncomfortable (OK, subjective I know) below 3000 RPM and generally kick down a cog. In the twisties I like a minimum of 4000 RPM for a more positive engine response and better engine braking. Comes at a cost though in that my average fuel consumption over 55,000 kms is about 42mpg. Kms and mpg? That is sorta like a mixed metaphor :).

Cheers
 
Thanks for the heads up hikertoo. Since it might be a while before I can give up my ECU to Guhls for flashing does anyone have a PCV map for a 2014 CB1100 with a stock air filter and full Yoshi exhaust that they would be willing to share? I dont know of anyone local who can do a dyno tune and im worried about the preloaded maps not working to well with my current setup, thanks in advance.
 
@olyrider

I have the same set up on my 2014 CB1100 (full yoshi and k&N filter). I too am running rich (love the popping sound around town but 145mi range is killing me on longer trips).

Sounds like you have a PCV map for this set-up? Is that something you would be willing to share?

Thanks,
Reed



Olyrider_imp said:
Not written with any animus, but I am going to continue to challenge the notion that ECU re-flashes and Power Commanders perform an identical function on the CB1100. Simply not so.

Guhl re-flashed my ECU. Told him I had a PCV and was going to have it dyno-tuned. He asked me to send him mapping files when I was finished.

The re-flash eliminated the speed limiter, and raised the RPM's. And...it had some semblance of a fuel map, but not for my bike. (full Yosh exhaust, K & N filter)

The dyno-tune eliminated a "lot" of popping on decel due to lean mapping after I installed the re-flashed ECU. It also gave me a more linear power band.

The re-flash was to restore the motor to what Honda had built in it before strangling it. The PCV is to make the fuel map work for "my" bike and "my" throttle desires.
 
Won’t the pair valve delete pretty much stop the popping on decel?
 
Back
Top