Power Commander V ?'s

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Looking for some input regarding the Power Commander V. I am sure the CB is programmed to run lean from the factory to meet emissions standards and feel that "richening it up" a bit will make a noticeable difference when riding . I have never used or installed on of these devices and was curious on a few things;

Is the stock exhaust and intake map already loaded on the unit?

Did you notice a difference in performance?

I have a Staintune slip on but didn't see any maps for the CB 1100 on the Dynojet website, did you take your bike to a dyno to have the map done (if you have a slip on or full system) or are you running the stock map?

Are you using the "Autotune" module?

(I don't plan on doing any other mods except maybe a K&N filer if they ever make one so I don't really need all of that adjustability.)
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Looking for some input regarding the Power Commander V. I am sure the CB is programmed to run lean from the factory to meet emissions standards and feel that "richening it up" a bit will make a noticeable difference when riding . I have never used or installed on of these devices and was curious on a few things;

Is the stock exhaust and intake map already loaded on the unit?

Did you notice a difference in performance?

I have a Staintune slip on but didn't see any maps for the CB 1100 on the Dynojet website, did you take your bike to a dyno to have the map done (if you have a slip on or full system) or are you running the stock map?

Are you using the "Autotune" module?

(I don't plan on doing any other mods except maybe a K&N filer if they ever make one so I don't really need all of that adjustability.)
It comes loaded for stock set up which will be slightly richer. Never used auto tune. Always get tuned on dyno & yes you will notice a difference doing so. With your slipon if you do not modify breather box a PCV is not required but would allow to run a richer set up for better performance. With breather mod it would be required & would allow more air in for better performance.
 
Thread starter
Found a dynojet tuning shop super close to my house so I
just ordered a Power Commander V from MotoMummy in Texas;

https://www.motomummy.com/index.php?p=home
#16-040 $269.99 and free shipping

And a K&N filter from Amazon.com
HA-1301 $44.95 and free shipping


Once I get the parts and she is dialed in, I will post the map. It will be for a CB with a Staintune slip on and K&N air filter.

Dart windscreen on the way as well :)
 
They need test bikes.....
You should check with Power Commander, most likely they would give you one to get a map for their website.
I'm running it with whatever it comes with now, still waiting for an updated map.
 
I've read too much about k&n air filters letting too much dirt pass through. I don't trust them and use stock for everything. Some guys like em, just not for me.
 
This is my first FI motorcycle, and I am totally ignorant as to what you guys are talking about. :s
I have a couple of questions......1. The only performance mod I've done is to install a Yosh canister. It definitely sounds MUCH better, but haven't noticed even a minor increase in performance. So I'm assuming that to get the most out of this mod, I need a Power Commander, right? And to get it "dialed in" with said Power Commander I need to have it run on a dyno, correct?
2. Eventually I want to replace the complete exhaust system. So that means I would have to go through all the above steps again? Good Grief! I don't even think there is a motorcycle dyno in this area, with the exception being the Harley dealer. Yea, that would be comforting. :rofl:
 
Inline4_imp said:
This is my first FI motorcycle, and I am totally ignorant as to what you guys are talking about. :s
I have a couple of questions......1. The only performance mod I've done is to install a Yosh canister. It definitely sounds MUCH better, but haven't noticed even a minor increase in performance. So I'm assuming that to get the most out of this mod, I need a Power Commander, right? And to get it "dialed in" with said Power Commander I need to have it run on a dyno, correct?
2. Eventually I want to replace the complete exhaust system. So that means I would have to go through all the above steps again? Good Grief! I don't even think there is a motorcycle dyno in this area, with the exception being the Harley dealer. Yea, that would be comforting. :rofl:
It runs lean from factory to meet EPA standards. When you added the can it just made it a little leaner. A tuner such as PCV will be needed to change fuel map. Hondajon said he would post his map when his is dyno'd with his slipon. Should be a very close map to what you need. More maps will become available as time passes. If H-D dealer will do dyno, which can't imagine why they wouldn't, I'd take it there if need be.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
I've read too much about k&n air filters letting too much dirt pass through. I don't trust them and use stock for everything. Some guys like em, just not for me.
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I've read too much about k&n air filters letting too much dirt pass through. I don't trust them and use stock for everything. Some guys like em, just not for me.
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
Yeah I know..... thought about de-snorkeling but don't see the point without being able to get a custom map. Now have staintune and pcv with the stock map. Probably not optimal but runs ok and also is smooth now at slow steady speed like going through a parking lot or slow traffic or the 2-3 blocks of slow streets getting to my house.... 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear......when totally stock would stutter and run rough at steady throttle slow speed.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
HondaJon_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I've read too much about k&n air filters letting too much dirt pass through. I don't trust them and use stock for everything. Some guys like em, just not for me.
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
Yeah I know..... thought about de-snorkeling but don't see the point without being able to get a custom map. Now have staintune and pcv with the stock map. Probably not optimal but runs ok and also is smooth now at slow steady speed like going through a parking lot or slow traffic or the 2-3 blocks of slow streets getting to my house.... 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear......when totally stock would stutter and run rough at steady throttle slow speed.
Deanohh, Have you taken a close look at the airbox setup and filter for our bikes, I'm suprised she even gets any air, much less any dirt :)
Yeah I know..... thought about de-snorkeling but don't see the point without being able to get a custom map. Now have staintune and pcv with the stock map. Probably not optimal but runs ok and also is smooth now at slow steady speed like going through a parking lot or slow traffic or the 2-3 blocks of slow streets getting to my house.... 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear......when totally stock would stutter and run rough at steady throttle slow speed.
Yea you don't want to do that without tune. On the other hand do it just prior to getting it dyno'd.
 
Thread starter
I'm gonna try the PCV as it is out of the box with just the Staintune first and see how see does. If I am happy, I'll leave her alone, if not, I'll install the K&N, pay the $200 and get the custom map done.

I will also post it for everyone here to use.

And Ack, I did e-mail Dynojet, We'll see how they respond.
 
I put on the Staintune and was very happy with the sound. Have had 2 PCV's before on other bikes and wanted to run on the CB and felt it probably would improve when using the Staintune. So I installed the PCV, unplugged the O2 and replaced with the supplied "optimizer", blocked the pair hose, and ran the stock muffler with the PCV and the supplied "stock" map. I thought it was improved over stock. Then I installed the Staintune again and started looking for a custom map source.

Talked to Power Commander and visited a fairly nearby Dyno Tune source with some questions. Asked about the Air/Fuel ratio hose not being able to get past he cat. Dynojet suggested I run the Autotune module. I had the autotune on another bike and it worked well. Only thing, the O2 bung on the stock headers is 12mm thread and you need 18mm for the wide band O2 that works with the Autotune. To me, too much trouble to try to get some guy to install a 18mm bung in the stock header and expecting it to fit in the small space where the stock O2 is now. The DJ guy said they sell their kit to the dealers called the Stealth Extractor which they drill a hole ahead of the cat, install a rivnut and close off after the tune with a screw, to get to the exhaust on the upstream side of the cat. Sounds plausible.

Now I ask the tuning guy what about the cat? He says they do all kinds of bikes all the time and just shove the tube in and don't worry about it because the cat doesn't change the afr reading that much. I don't see how that's true because cars have a O2 sensor on both sides of the cat. So I don't want to pay for a Dynotune if I don't think its accurate because they sniff the exhaust downstream from the cat in the stock header. When I mention the stealth extractor, they don't know what im talking about. He says they can just dyno the bike then and see if there are any map areas that are way off for the afr and just change map area values by hand if the stock map needs it..... not a real dynotune or custom map.

So here I am. Can't go to Vegas for the hq guys to do it and I don't really trust the local dynotune shop to do a proper job. Might just have them dyno to see if anything is way off, make small adjustments, and run it as is until Power Commander comes up someday with the appropriate map for my setup.... or any setup other than the stock one.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh,

Thanks for your insight on this, I hadn't thought about how the CAT would affect the exhaust reading.

The stock map is sounding better and better.. I'm surprised DJ doesn't offer the autotune in different thread sizes..It seems like the way to go.

I'm just looking to dump that low RPM stumble, if I wanted another rocket, I would have a ZX-14.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
I've read too much about k&n air filters letting too much dirt pass through. I don't trust them and use stock for everything. Some guys like em, just not for me.
I have never heard that one. I have been using K&N air filters for YEARS with no ill effects. I have never seen dirt getting passed them either. Besides....the filter media in K&N filters is finer than the stock paper elements anyway so the physics makes no sense for them to allow more dirt than a stock paper element.
To each his own. (don't want to start an oil type war). :angel:
 
I just added a K&N. The fit was a nice and snug like the OE. It does take the throttle a bit better. Which I expected since the stock exhaust is gone. I like it - K&N #HA-1301
 
Thread starter
I installed the Power commander V yesterday and the low speed stumble is now gone. Bike seems to run cooler as well. The unit obviously takes care of the EPA mandated “lean” condition. I think it was a well spent $269.


I am going to stay with the map that came with the unit. I'm only running the Staintune slip on and most likely won't do any other mods unless Pipemasters would like to donate me a set of their 4 into 4 pipes :). I may try the K&N, but don't think it will make any noticeable difference given the vault-like design of the airbox.

It took me about an hour to do. The YouTube video Dynojet posted is quite helpful, but little things like figuring out the fuel line disconnect and how to run the two power commander plugs behind the frame (it is super tight) added some time.

Honda did an amazing job of hiding all of the electronic bits underneath the tank, but accessing the two center plugs is gonna be fun.
 
The K&N filter does help. I see PC has a stock map download on their website now. It must be different then the map we have? I'm not sure what's in our unmapped stock Commanders?
 
The map that came pre loaded on my PCV is the same one that is on their site for download....... stock exhaust system, stock air filter....M16-040-01
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Thanks, I'll load that one up and see if things pick up. I'm hoping it's not to long before a few more show up on the website.
the map that is on the pcv will show up on the program when you plug your computer in or click get map. The map number will be at the top left side. Click on fuel to see the fuel table values. Open map and save map interact with your computer.... Get map and send map interact with the PCV.

if the downloaded map is for some reason different from the map on there now, the save map will put a copy on the computer if you want to keep the original. Then with open map you can put the downloaded map into the program. Then send map will put the downloaded map on the PCV.
 
Back
Top