Possible CB1100X coming ...

I lean towards chains. My Guzzi has a shaft and has been in the shop twice for rear drive leaks with 7700 miles on the odometer. In order to change the rear tire you literally have to pull the back end of the bike apart. Try doing that on gravel or hot tarmac on the side of the road in 90+ degrees. CB is significantly more user friendly in regards to circumstances like that. Replacing chain and sprockets is something I could do in a pinch. Working in the internals of a shaft drive is well beyond my capabilities.

Chain for the win.
 
Belt drive is an excellent middle ground between the lightness and simplicity of a chain (at the expense of maintenance) and the ease of ownership of a shaft drive (at the expense of cost, weight, and risk of catastrophic failure).

Millions of Harley owners can't be wrong.
 
Cycleworld has an updated article Honda NT1100 Confirmed As 2022 Model that puts the DCT version wet weight at 547 pounds/248 kg (wet). That is no mid weight machine. Will Honda price competitively like the 1100 Rebel to compete with the big selling Yamaha 9GT or go way upmarket like they have with the Africa Twin? The non DCT is 524pounds/237kkg which is more reasonably but watch them shoot themselves in the foot by not offering a quick-shifter to push the DCT sales instead. You will know they have really lost the plot if they don't put cruise control on it, a mistake they couldn't possibly make today surely?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Chains are better and supposedly Regina is coming out with a zero maintenance chain for BMW.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/products/bmw-m-endurance-chain/

if the claims prove true on this, it truly would be a game changer. Zero maintenance, no external lubrication, no adjustment needed.

I have my doubts
Ari Henning did a torture test on this chain, apparently it would last about 5000km with no maintenance, BMW since changed the wording of the marketing pitch to 'low maintenance' and 'for specific models'
It's a gimmick

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Tev62_imp said:
Cycleworld has an updated article Honda NT1100 Confirmed As 2022 Model that puts the DCT version wet weight at 547 pounds/248 kg (wet). That is no mid weight machine. Will Honda price competitively like the 1100 Rebel to compete with the big selling Yamaha 9GT or go way upmarket like they have with the Africa Twin? The non DCT is 524pounds/237kkg which is more reasonably but watch them shoot themselves in the foot by not offering a quick-shifter to push the DCT sales instead. You will know they have really lost the plot if they don't put cruise control on it, a mistake they couldn't possibly make today surely?
No cruise control on today's bikes is a sacrilege. It's literally one button and a little bit of code. If Rebel comes with cruise so will the NT I suspect.

I've been wrong before tho

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Chains are better and supposedly Regina is coming out with a zero maintenance chain for BMW.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/products/bmw-m-endurance-chain/

if the claims prove true on this, it truly would be a game changer. Zero maintenance, no external lubrication, no adjustment needed.

I have my doubts
Ari Henning did a torture test on this chain, apparently it would last about 5000km with no maintenance, BMW since changed the wording of the marketing pitch to 'low maintenance' and 'for specific models'
It's a gimmick

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Tev62_imp said:
Cycleworld has an updated article Honda NT1100 Confirmed As 2022 Model that puts the DCT version wet weight at 547 pounds/248 kg (wet). That is no mid weight machine. Will Honda price competitively like the 1100 Rebel to compete with the big selling Yamaha 9GT or go way upmarket like they have with the Africa Twin? The non DCT is 524pounds/237kkg which is more reasonably but watch them shoot themselves in the foot by not offering a quick-shifter to push the DCT sales instead. You will know they have really lost the plot if they don't put cruise control on it, a mistake they couldn't possibly make today surely?
No cruise control on today's bikes is a sacrilege. It's literally one button and a little bit of code. If Rebel comes with cruise so will the NT I suspect.

I've been wrong before tho

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I suspect you are correct. Honda will put it on because they know how to do it reliably and the buyer will pay for it anyway.

If they wish to be mean, they'll wrap the cruise option with some top tier option package only.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I lean towards chains. My Guzzi has a shaft and has been in the shop twice for rear drive leaks with 7700 miles on the odometer. In order to change the rear tire you literally have to pull the back end of the bike apart. Try doing that on gravel or hot tarmac on the side of the road in 90+ degrees. CB is significantly more user friendly in regards to circumstances like that. Replacing chain and sprockets is something I could do in a pinch. Working in the internals of a shaft drive is well beyond my capabilities.

Chain for the win.
So you would be one to buy a chain drive car if it were to become available? (again)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
I lean towards chains. My Guzzi has a shaft and has been in the shop twice for rear drive leaks with 7700 miles on the odometer. In order to change the rear tire you literally have to pull the back end of the bike apart. Try doing that on gravel or hot tarmac on the side of the road in 90+ degrees. CB is significantly more user friendly in regards to circumstances like that. Replacing chain and sprockets is something I could do in a pinch. Working in the internals of a shaft drive is well beyond my capabilities.

Chain for the win.
So you would be one to buy a chain drive car if it were to become available? (again)
So you would be one to buy a chain drive car if it were to become available? (again) I don't know of any chain driven cars tbh. Impossible to decide
45c6145bf3af521245dcc0ee42a48e75.png

In reality I have nothing against shaft drive, actually nothing against solid engineering and reliable low maintenance products. Every bike should have a shaft drive, hydraulic valves and gear driven cams. The fact is - I don't know enough about engineering to be the judge of why things are the way they are. Maybe they want stuff to fail so they'd have what to fix?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
In a little addition, MCN came up with some new renders, little different than the concept bike, with a nose resembling that of X-ADV scooter. Not ugly, would still happily ride it. I have a question however - all this motorcycle outlets call on to a Japanese magazine called Auto-By (Auto.by by some) - I however can't seem to find any sign of existence of a publication with that name, nonetheless how to access it. If anyone has any idea about this, I would really appreciate the pointer

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
I lean towards chains. My Guzzi has a shaft and has been in the shop twice for rear drive leaks with 7700 miles on the odometer. In order to change the rear tire you literally have to pull the back end of the bike apart. Try doing that on gravel or hot tarmac on the side of the road in 90+ degrees. CB is significantly more user friendly in regards to circumstances like that. Replacing chain and sprockets is something I could do in a pinch. Working in the internals of a shaft drive is well beyond my capabilities.

Chain for the win.
So you would be one to buy a chain drive car if it were to become available? (again)
So you would be one to buy a chain drive car if it were to become available? (again) I don't know of any chain driven cars tbh. Impossible to decide
45c6145bf3af521245dcc0ee42a48e75.png

In reality I have nothing against shaft drive, actually nothing against solid engineering and reliable low maintenance products. Every bike should have a shaft drive, hydraulic valves and gear driven cams. The fact is - I don't know enough about engineering to be the judge of why things are the way they are. Maybe they want stuff to fail so they'd have what to fix?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
In a little addition, MCN came up with some new renders, little different than the concept bike, with a nose resembling that of X-ADV scooter. Not ugly, would still happily ride it. I have a question however - all this motorcycle outlets call on to a Japanese magazine called Auto-By (Auto.by by some) - I however can't seem to find any sign of existence of a publication with that name, nonetheless how to access it. If anyone has any idea about this, I would really appreciate the pointer

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.

1984 Honda CB700SC (and 750SC) ...

 
Honda—as Ferret will tell you—made a couple of chain drive sports cars back in the 60s.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Cars with CVT's are kinda chain drive machines......... :D
Cormanus_imp said:
Honda—as Ferret will tell you—made a couple of chain drive sports cars back in the 60s.
In that respect, they still do. Take the latest family of Hondas: The Fit, the HRV, the CRV.

The best CVT implementation on the market.
 
I had an HRV for less than a year. Disliked the transmission and traded it for a Nissan P/U. Only Honda product I've ever been disappointed with. CVT's are the pits, will never have another.
 
I have a Nissan X-Trail (Rogue) with a CVT gearbox, I think the belts are steel inside. Absolutely love the gearbox and find it very easy motoring.
 
Thread starter
I find the Honda Fit has a very sweet and responsive CVT. Doesn't really even act like a classic CVT. Best implementation I've even driven.

If they use the same CVT in the heavier and significantly less fuel efficient HRV, then maybe the experience is indeed different.
 
Thread starter
Honda will likely come out with a 93 hp 750 cc single that is Euro 10 compliant before re-inventing the CBX. :D


In a wave of technological ingenuity, Honda will save weight and environmental landfill issues by eliminating the electric starter and implement what they will call a "heel starter".
 
Back
Top