Portland, OR to Astoria day trip

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Been having both the high and low idle issues the last month, but it was time to ignore all that and go for a decent ride. Left Portland around 1pm and made it to Astoria a little after 3. Trip odometer said 156 total miles and indicator said still 20 miles left. Wonder how accurate that is.

Astoria bridge over to Washington is fun...lots of fishering boats and some large transport ships. Beautiful gorgeous NW day.
2cd191b063ff2a268fc2186fd1352442.jpg


b47dc93e917ad587f3fadf48c3b31487.jpg


7a0ee675674fc63e0924eb40bf891eaa.jpg

After crossing into Washington, followed 401 to 4 and started heading back east. Found an interesting road called Altoona Pillar Rock Rd--it hugs the northern shore of the Columbia River. Beautiful private homes with outstanding views...folks back here seem to like their privacy.

Yes, don't go straight!
7f91d81c02a91af250f10acd7ed81127.jpg


0742920dacec77e8561840c3ecdc3cc9.jpg

69395607964ceaf5c713e5e1410adfb3.jpg


b4f71763f56da19b1d703aa5c07a086a.jpg


626f585c57e4e39a142e7cbd7e22a1dc.jpg

At Cathlamet
35cf2152c816c21b544fa6e8cbcb3022.jpg


26fdea3fb79d70e48a163fdd76810138.jpg


742bb5987011cfbf502fd7768fac2c0c.jpg


Drove across this bridge to check on the ferry to cross back into OR.
a45403241329363e918a4159c1c351a6.jpg


...but it leaves on the hour and I arrived at 6:15 and didn't feel like waiting around. Next time...it only costs $3 for mc.
351477b821f62b791ef3f9fc31d53f2e.jpg


The afternoon was turning to evening and I wanted to cross the bridge at Longview while it was still light so it was time to move on.
56c8af7f9bbbe0c0c02f920b6170d308.jpg


But there's always time...Don Pedro's at Longview
2f91e54af0b3f09bc50c86820a053477.jpg


The last 1 hour was night riding back to Portland and then on to the other side towards home in Gresham. 293 miles, lots of smiles!
 
I was just down along some of the same roads on Friday. I agree with you on the long bridge at Astoria, pretty cool. Absolutely love the riding on 101 as you get into WA state, such beautiful turns right beside the ocean. That's a long way from home for me - I hope you know how good you got it for it to be your backyard!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Looks beautiful, pdedse.
 
Great pics!

I flew from Portland to Astoria last summer. The whole time I was looking down at those cool backroads, wishing I'd brought my CB.

I'm a big fan of those giant razor clams they have there.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
My plans for now are to retire to Astoria in 5 years or so. Nice pics, Dismal Nitch?
Jon Z
Yes, Dismal Nitch...but I had to look up to find that was Lewis and Clark's last campsite before encountering the Pacific. They must have arrived in the rainy season because it was not dismal at all yesterday.
run-tmc_imp said:
I was just down along some of the same roads on Friday. I agree with you on the long bridge at Astoria, pretty cool. Absolutely love the riding on 101 as you get into WA state, such beautiful turns right beside the ocean. That's a long way from home for me - I hope you know how good you got it for it to be your backyard!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it's a nice backyard from May to October. But then the reality of winter rains returns, coming soon. That's when I ride mostly the KLR650, it doesn't care what the weather is like. : )
Flynrider_imp said:
Great pics!

I flew from Portland to Astoria last summer. The whole time I was looking down at those cool backroads, wishing I'd brought my CB.

I'm a big fan of those giant razor clams they have there.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks. Flew from Portland to Astoria? That sounds like a short, pretty flight. But yes, there's a lot of riding to be done. Sometimes I get tired of the trees! and want to see open spaces, so along the Columbia helps with that.
 
Back
Top