poorly lit display solutions?

Chuckk_imp

Been there
Thread starter
my old eyes just cannot see the display on my 2017 c.b. does anyone else have that problem? .. or better yet, has anyone found a solution.. is that glass tinted.. has anyone been inside of that display.. reading the clock is quite difficult.. the gear position, I can read !! .. bright sunlight shining in allows me to see fine.. Chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
be kind now, to a person with diminishing eyesight.. I have had cataract surgery in both eyes.. then secondary cataract eye surgery.. my problem is I need a lot of light to see when reading etc.. and I do wear glasses.. I was just wondering if anyone had been into that display.. can the glass be accessed easily.. does it have a tint.. maybe I could replace it with clear glass.. that is my question.. chuckk j.
 
70fb814e8a7e98511a513cdff7116545.jpg


:)
 
Thread starter
12milesout_imp said:
Do you wear polarized lenses, by any chance? A lot of LCD displays are difficult to read w/polarized glasses.
no.. my glasses are not polarized .. never thought about that.. when the sun shines directly into the display, I can see it perfectly.. I will look into the polarized lenses .. I find myself studying the gauges while riding, which isn't good.. (taking my eyes off the road for just a few seconds more)..
 
Chuckk, you may find polarized lenses make the problem worse. I find my 2011 gauges hard to read with the sun directly on them. There can be a lot of reflection.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Chuckk, you may find polarized lenses make the problem worse. I find my 2011 gauges hard to read with the sun directly on them. There can be a lot of reflection.
Not just the '11 CB1100 or '13, '14. Many model instrument clusters can blast that sun-love right back at your eyes. :cool:
 
I wear polarized lenses and like Cormanus said they make the gauges hard to see.

Edit to add: GO says they don’t. So GO, why do they make mine hard (or harder) to see? Wonder whats up with that?
 
The lenses are a plastic of some type, not glass.
 
Thread starter
I wonder how hard it would be to replace the lens with clear.. am I correct in assuming the lens on the display is tinted.. I have just given it a casual glance..
 
I can't read the clock either while riding. I do wear amber coloured sunglasses when I ride. I use my cell phone for time when I stop.
 
Thread starter
glad I am not the only one.. some of the earlier models may have a better display.. not sure though..my glasses have a light tint also.. I'm sure that doesn't help things..
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I wear polarized lenses and like Cormanus said they make the gauges hard to see.

Edit to add: GO says they don’t. So GO, why do they make mine hard (or harder) to see? Wonder whats up with that?
I think some (or all?) LCD displays have a polarized glass. The polarization works at an specific angle (i.e. it only let's through light aligned with that angle, filtering the other components).

If you wear polarised glasses and the angle matches the one on the screen, you don't have any more filtering (unless it's polarised AND tinted). If the angles are 90deg appart, no light will get through that combination of polarised filters. If the angle -alpha- is anywhere between 0 and 90 deg, the light that get's thorugh will be proportional to cos(alpha).

You can check if this is the problem by rotating the glasses 90 deg and checking if you get more or less light from the display to get through.


 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I wear polarized lenses and like Cormanus said they make the gauges hard to see.

Edit to add: GO says they don’t. So GO, why do they make mine hard (or harder) to see? Wonder whats up with that?
Hey PG, not understanding question. :-/
 
Sorry GO.

I said the polarized glasses make it hard to see my display and I thought you said yours don't. Just wondering why that would be. Jtopiso answered it to my satisfaction.
 
Thread starter
I think that answers my question too.. I had better leave my display alone !! .. when I stop and concentrate on it, I can see everything that is on the display.. it's just when I am on the move.. that seems to be my difficulty.. I will have to live with that.. it is nice to be able to toss ideas out there and get other riders take on things.. thanks guys ..
 
I have polarized glasses too and when the sun is on the display it is difficult to see , I do not worry about it , just ride on !
 
The gear and the gas are the only "important" things, as long as you can see that.

When low on fuel the flashing gas gauge is so noticeable out of the corner of my eye that I keep thinking it's the turn signals and my thumb automatically moves to turn them off.
 
Back
Top