Polishing up the pipes

"Gidday" Roger, i have bought the 2 stainless products in the last picture, the spray bottle is useless but it works as an expensive window cleaner.
The 1929 paste is possibly better than the standard autosol but by such a small margin.

The polished pipes of the cb1000r as in the picture with both tubes in between the pipes are holding up fine after the stainmagic and standard autosol treatment, like Goldoxide mentions it is the best combo for best results so far.

Have used wet and dry sandpaper in the past which is much more work and eventually thins the pipes, the stainmagic is very much recommended, much less effort, no material removal and good " freckle" removal which seems to last, you will be satisfied with the results and only a small amount is needed.

Enjoy the ride mate.
 
Sparky80_imp said:
I use 0000 steel wool to make them glass smooth and then some Mothers Chrome polish.
Been doing that to all my chrome pieces for many years.
0000 steel wool also great for windows.
same here, good for allot of stuff.
 
Yesterday I got this email regarding my Ebay order for Stain-Magic:

"New message from: design-too Top Rated Seller(172Turquoise Star)
I'm very sorry.
I have been informed by Fedex that it cannot be shipped because it is classified as Air Dangerous Goods.
We have no way to deliver your order, so we will have to cancel your order due to the unavailability of shipping.
I apologize again for the inconvenience."

Anyone else run into anything like this?
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Yesterday I got this email regarding my Ebay order for Stain-Magic:

"New message from: design-too Top Rated Seller(172Turquoise Star)
I'm very sorry.
I have been informed by Fedex that it cannot be shipped because it is classified as Air Dangerous Goods.
We have no way to deliver your order, so we will have to cancel your order due to the unavailability of shipping.
I apologize again for the inconvenience."

Anyone else run into anything like this?
Good to see your interest Nachodaddy.
Just try another seller, i just ordered my second tube from the same guy i got my original one by "registered air small packet", it arrived in 20 days in an a4 sized plastic airmail bag with an invoice, very professional;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303734562229
But he is sold out, i would try this one instead;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124727182912?hash=item1d0a51c640:g:uY4AAOSwvrFf1zey
Could not find your particular seller on my ebay search in nz?
Unfortunately Mr Takahashi from samurider is still out of stock, he was my first choice.
And let us know how your experience turns out.
 
max_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Yesterday I got this email regarding my Ebay order for Stain-Magic:

"New message from: design-too Top Rated Seller(172Turquoise Star)
I'm very sorry.
I have been informed by Fedex that it cannot be shipped because it is classified as Air Dangerous Goods.
We have no way to deliver your order, so we will have to cancel your order due to the unavailability of shipping.
I apologize again for the inconvenience."

Anyone else run into anything like this?
Good to see your interest Nachodaddy.
Just try another seller, i just ordered my second tube from the same guy i got my original one by "registered air small packet", it arrived in 20 days in an a4 sized plastic airmail bag with an invoice, very professional;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303734562229
But he is sold out, i would try this one instead;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124727182912?hash=item1d0a51c640:g:uY4AAOSwvrFf1zey
Could not find your particular seller on my ebay search in nz?
Unfortunately Mr Takahashi from samurider is still out of stock, he was my first choice.
And let us know how your experience turns out.
Thank you Max. I will keep looking. I am surprised that a retailer in the US has not picked up this market.
 
Update. Ordered a tube of Stain Magic from a different Ebay seller on 24 November and received it November 30. Amazing! Price was comparable to the other sellers. I edited this because they are now saying it is out of stock. There are lots of sellers on
Ebay though, so good luck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313636346908
 
I have to vouch for the Stain-Magic/Autosol suggestion, Thanks KiowaEagle! :thumbsup:
(Edited from Gold to KiowaEagle as his was the post that suggested the combo)

The Stain-Magic gets the brown off and the Autosol gets the dull finish from the Stain-Magic shiny again. They almost look like chrome after that combination.
3dd5ce594f318004b4548e4cb427c8f8.jpg
 
Whoops_imp said:
I have to vouch for the Stain-Magic/Autosol suggestion, Thanks KiowaEagle! :thumbsup:
(Edited from Gold to KiowaEagle as his was the post that suggested the combo)

The Stain-Magic gets the brown off and the Autosol gets the dull finish from the Stain-Magic shiny again. They almost look like chrome after that combination.
3dd5ce594f318004b4548e4cb427c8f8.jpg
That sure is pretty Whoops.
 
Very classy Whoops, almost looks like a commercial ( which i first thought ) .
Much better job than i did, out of curiosity how much stainmagic did you use and what method did you use?
 
max_imp said:
Very classy Whoops, almost looks like a commercial ( which i first thought ) .
Much better job than i did, out of curiosity how much stainmagic did you use and what method did you use?
I think I did about 3 applications of the Stain-Magic with my fingers wearing a pair of 8 mil nitrile gloves. I probably used about 1/5th of the tube. It was easier with my fingers getting the paste into the nooks and crannies. Most of the tarnish actually came off with just my fingers when massaging it onto the headers. I let it dry a bit and then took a cotton shop towel and did the once around loop and did the push-pull bit to get all the way around the pipe. That turned the headers to a bright but rather matte finish. I did those steps on the catalytic converter as well, right up to the Yoshi slip-on.

After that I repeated the same process with the Autosol twice. That took the matte finish off, mostly. They aren't quite mirror polished, but close. I think if I wanted to bring them to that level of polish it would involve removing them from the bike and using some power tools. It just takes too much effort to get past where they are now without a lot of friction.
 
Now that you've done the hard part, keeping them nice will be a snap. Just a retouch with polish when they start to get a bit gold. I hit mine about every two weeks or so, takes fifteen minutes of light polishing to keep them silver and shiny.
 
Great job Whoops. Looks fantastic.

In theory, they should remain "very light gold" for a long time after the first ride. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on your riding environment.
 
Thanks guys, don't mind the goldie tint but i don't like the freckles caused by water drops.
Good stuff on the progress, i'm happy we all reap the benefit of Kiowa eagle's experience.
 
I was at an automotive trade show through the weekend, and stopped at a display for Flitz Polish. As you can imagine, the rep in the booth was showing how well Flitz worked on different metal surfaces.

I talked to him about stainless headers, and he demonstrated on a piece of header pipe using a piece of paper towel to rub it in. I asked about that as opposed to a microfiber or a cloth towel. He said something about the wood fibers in the paper making it an ideal polishing material.

He gave me a ketchup packet-sized sample of Flitz, and suggested that I try it on my headers with a paper towel. I gave it a shot last night, and it looks pretty good. Granted, I keep my pipes polished, so there was just a slight tinge of gold on them, but it came off very quickly. Might have to buy some Flitz!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I was at an automotive trade show through the weekend, and stopped at a display for Flitz Polish. As you can imagine, the rep in the booth was showing how well Flitz worked on different metal surfaces.

I talked to him about stainless headers, and he demonstrated on a piece of header pipe using a piece of paper towel to rub it in. I asked about that as opposed to a microfiber or a cloth towel. He said something about the wood fibers in the paper making it an ideal polishing material.

He gave me a ketchup packet-sized sample of Flitz, and suggested that I try it on my headers with a paper towel. I gave it a shot last night, and it looks pretty good. Granted, I keep my pipes polished, so there was just a slight tinge of gold on them, but it came off very quickly. Might have to buy some Flitz!
Dang, Gone, that is nice. Might try that myself.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I was at an automotive trade show through the weekend, and stopped at a display for Flitz Polish. As you can imagine, the rep in the booth was showing how well Flitz worked on different metal surfaces.

I talked to him about stainless headers, and he demonstrated on a piece of header pipe using a piece of paper towel to rub it in. I asked about that as opposed to a microfiber or a cloth towel. He said something about the wood fibers in the paper making it an ideal polishing material.

He gave me a ketchup packet-sized sample of Flitz, and suggested that I try it on my headers with a paper towel. I gave it a shot last night, and it looks pretty good. Granted, I keep my pipes polished, so there was just a slight tinge of gold on them, but it came off very quickly. Might have to buy some Flitz!
That looks very good Gin60.

I used Flitz back in the late 80's. I believe up here it is the same product now called "Peek", which I use as a final polish. What's great about Flitz/Peek is it is not a harsh chemical.
 
Back
Top