Plastic all over

mjvielle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Maybe it's just the Doctor Who episode I'm watching (where plastic is trying to take over the world), but I'm finding a surprising amount of plastic on my beauty. In the shop, I was perhaps too caught up staring at the deep metallic tank and forgot to look at all the other pieces. Heck, on the Sabre, I did find the plastic fender and since I touched the turn signals here on the CB, I see I've got my work cut out for me. I admit, though, Honda has done a good job at giving the body a sense of minimalism.. but they do it with blk plastic!

Question: What plastic parts are you all trying to modify?
 
Wellllll,

Think how much it would weigh if everything was metal.
 
I've replaced a lot of parts. I replaced the black plastic side covers and air cleaner covers with red fiberglass ones. I replaced the black plastic chain guard with a chrome steel one. I replaced black plastic sproket cover with a silver plastic one. And finally I am replacing those beautiful chromed steel fenders with red fiberglass ones. Less plastic, less steel, more fiberglass. Oh well.
 
Once mankind figured out how to chrome plate plastic, we were doomed...

I was disappointed when I received my chrome gauge covers and discovered that they were plastic.......
 
Quote:Think how much it would weigh if everything was metal.
My Honda Dream 305, all metal, weighed a ton. No thanks.

Carbon Fiber a waste of money unless strength is required, which it is not. And it does not bend a gracefully as plastic, nor does it snap back into shape. You can get a CF finish material for ordinary plastic, it goes on like window film.
 
I agree that C/F is ridiculously expensive. But the strength it offers for certain parts is a serious plus. The imitation you mention is very good looking and a real option.
A few years back I had an opportunity to try a nicely maintained original Dream and was amazed at how heavy it was.
 
If it wasn't for plastic parts.......the bike would cost more, be heavier and less mpg. The important parts are not plastic. Look around, everything that can be plastic is plastic..............times have changed, it's a throw-away society.
 
The only plastic on the bike that bothers me are the two large covers on either side of the engine. You can't tell the chromed parts are plastic, but the covers really stick out.

Somebody replaced the drive side plastic cover with a slick CNC billet part from japan; I'd love one myself but can't afford it.

Hey, I wonder if the local plating shop could chrome the covers?
 
The way of future is in 3D Printing. We will have the option to make our own functional replacement parts. Yay! to plastic... and Global Warming!
 
Back
Top