PLANNED - Missoula to Old Forge!

JustPassinThru_imp said:
A handful of photos; and I can't upload them on this tin-can-and-string Internet connection.

I made the coast. A little too much four-lane slab time for my taste; but options going across Washington state are limited.

White Pass was breathtaking; got a few shots of Mt. Ranier. Didn't get more in that I was running on fumes most of the way up the mountain...there was an ethanol-free gas station just pass the summit, but I didn't know that. So I poked along, wondering how much a tow would cost, or how much gear would be stolen if I had to hitchhike for a gallon of gas.

The heat around Walla Walla/Pasco was as impressive as the vocanic lava-flow topography, denuded of all but dry grass. Doesn't necessarily make for good photos, though.

First fifty miles of US 101 was a good twisty ride...unfortunately, I was a bit tired. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Rain in the forecast.
No kidding! I found it hard to believe that it was part of Washington. I always felt it should be near death valley :P

Glad to hear you made it to the coast. Looks like you'll be seeing some spotty rain for the next day or two. Put on your rain gear and have some fun!
 
Thread starter
Spotty rain, wasn't the word for it.

It came down like a bathtub drain. Fog to match. Cold air blowing in on the coast.

Started today in Raymond, Washington. Had a nice evening walking along the old waterfront there; the tidal flats. I guess the village is rich with lumbering history.

This morning, it was coming down. Hard. Nothing to do but suit up...thank all gods for my choice in putting the windshield on. AND in the riding pants, which are waterproof.

Alas, the helmet was not so good...fog under the visor. It's my eight-year-old Scorpion helmet, and I guess the vents are obstructed. I think dead bugs. I would have cleaned it out...but it was stored for two years and I never thought I'd use it again. Turned out it was quieter; so at the last minute I took it.

But years ago, I had ridden through black clouds of midges, in fall...enough to completely obscure vision on the face glass. Guess the dead bugs are still plugging the airways on the vents.

So...start with fog. Then, no abs. Wet roadways...means, SLOW DOWN.

I did so. And I got through MOST of the day. Until I didn't.

Never saw it coming - like most of these things.

I'd needed to double back after passing through a town; so I picked a Park-N-Ride lot to do it. Now small-town transit Park-N-Rides are not like bus terminals in Chicago. This one LOOKED to be paved, but it was only big enough for one short bus...and only half of it paved.

I needed more room; had to run off the blacktop onto the gravel. Not loose gravel.

Alas, the CB...went into a swoon at the thought of leaving blacktop, and flopped over. Pinning me.

(Either that, or that four-inch drop that I didn't see, was two much at 8 mph...)

So, I'm laying there...next to some sort of business...550 pounds of motorcycle on my leg. And...it's only fair to admit to when bad luck has good timing. Two septuagenarians were getting into their car when CB and I performed our spectacle...and they were just transfixed, as if they weren't sure they saw what they saw.

I motioned them over. God bless them, they came.

I told them I was pinned, and if they just could take some weight off, I could get out. Bless them twice, they tried - and I got free.

Once out...I asked them, as humbly as possible, if they could help me righting the machine. They were sceptical...but game. Between the three of us, it came right up.

Thank all gods.

Only damage, besides a LOT of scuffed paint, was: Shifter is bent at about 25 degrees inward. Still works, but I can't get my toe under it. Fortunate that it's not directly mounted to the shift rod in the transmission. As it is, it will probably be a minor fix.

Oh, and my camera. I had it in a case on my hip. I landed on it. Seems to be DOA.
Interesting observation:

When the CB went over...first thing that happened was the engine started winding up. Keep in mind, my hand was far from the throttle, and the throttle grip was on the high side. Didn't rev right up, but a bit - I'd guess 2000 rpm.

Then it shut off like the kill switch had been hit.

My guess is: Once on its side, it lost oil pressure. And that must have made the computer controls kill the spark immediately. When I got it up and cranked it, it fired right up; no issues with the throttle cable...but took a half-second to build oil pressure. Suggesting that the oil galleys had run dry.

Interesting safety feature, if that's what it is.
 
Sorry to hear about accident. Hope you and the bike recover quickly.

As I recall CB has an inclinometer that kills engine when tips over. Or something similar.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to hear about the flop, but yes most new motorcycles these days have a tip over switch that kills the engine when the bike falls over. It needs to be recycled to start again. Turn off the ignition, turn it back on, and it should fire up. You can usually bend a shift lever back out without it snapping but no guarantee. I have used a crescent wrench back when I rode motocross and fell a lot.
 
Bummer, JPT, but glad you're OK. Enjoy the rest of the trip.
 
Glad to hear you're OK, JPT. Yeah, you really did get dumped on. I didn't realize you were that far north.

Hope the rest of your trip is less exciting.
 
Thread starter
Well...exciting, not.

Tedium and terror, sort of.

This...storm, whatever...I can't shake it. Was supposed to have moved on today. Instead, the rain came down all the harder; and with it, pockets of London fog.

Now. I have good gear - Speed/Strength all-weather armored riding jacket; armored rain pants. Scorpion helmet. I can endure the rain, although the fog inside my face shield is a real problem and hazard.

But...fog. Fog on twisties. Fog on twisties in the beginning of summer touristy season, when EVERY Tom, Dick and Mary is out here. It was thick enough at points I had to put the four-ways on. I was RIGHT by the coast - but couldn't see it. Passing some state parks...but why stop? It was cold and pouring.

Not JUST the rain, either. The filthy road spray would leave a grey sheen on my face mask. And since I had to keep it cracked to minimize fogging, on my eyeglasses, too.

About 1pm, I gave up and aimed inland. The idea was to find a motel and dry out and do laundry, and pick up where I quit; but checking the weather, they're now forecasting two more days of rain and coastal fog.

I'm close to the halfway mark. Time to turn back or aim in another direction...bummer.

I'll spin the compass point tomorrow morning.
 
We'll be heading up there in a week - in the pickup with two dogs. :) After all this sunshine (save for today) in paradise it will be nice to see some weather. We'll be tenting it in Idaho so sunshine will be just fine then. :D
 
Thread starter
I left y'all hanging...because I broke my computer.

Not on the ride, though. I took an old netbook; and it did what old equipment sometimes does. It quit.

My little trip is completed. As ad-hoc trips go, it was probably a success. After the cold and wet on the Oregon coast, I aimed for Crater Lake....nice trip. Beautiful lake. Walked down to the shore; but didn't go to the inner-cone island.

Enjoyed myself at a private resort at nearby Diamond Lake. Good rest stop.

Then...with this West Coast heatwave upon us...went BACK to the coast. Coos Bay. Highway 101. Good twisties; some good views and vantages. Some excellent diners. Over to Portland, because it was putatively on my way home, and I needed to launder.

Then...since I didn't want to slab...I used TomTom (yeah, a mistake) to dead-reckon north and east.

AMAZING sidetour. I didn't plan it; but I wound up going up the approach to Mount St. Helen...took the turnoff to go up the road to the Windy Ridge dead-end. The rest of the road apparently was closed after the blast; but that's well within the denuded zone. Plenty of downward views on the former Spirit Lake. Lots of interpretive signs and walk-throughs...good for me since I was very young and living at the other end when it happened.

At Randle, Washington, I stopped for gas...and wouldn't ya know. Another CB1100 there, gassing up. We passed quick words; but I was in a hurry...night was falling and I needed to make for a reasonable motel. If you're out there...in a red-and-silver 2013...

The rest of the way home was the tedium you might expect. Too much slab; some good twisty road; and then, crossing Lolo Pass as the sun was setting. DANGEROUS...all the deer out there. I took to honking the horn ever two seconds or so. Three years ago I hit a deer. I lived to tell the tale; but the bike was trashed.

I was LUCKY. Could have been ME that got junked.

Anyway...end of a tale. I'm working to see what I can salvage from that camera.
 
Sounds more like an adventure than a simple trip. Congrats on getting home safely.
 
Yeah, well done JPT. Sounds like a good ride in the end. Glad you're home safe.
 
Great thread. I've hit 3 deer in my lifetime. Luckily, all were in a pickup. In the 2+ weeks I've had my CB, I've had two cross the road in my headlights.
 
Back
Top