Plan to get a 2014 CB1100 next spring

Pete in PA

Running like a top
Thread starter
Currently have a 92 750 Nighthawk, bought used 4 yrs ago at 20k miles. Now has 32k miles.
Previous bikes 83 650 Nighthawk,  85 V 65 Sabre, 98 Blackbird, 06 ST1300, 15 FJ-09, and 2 XR650L's.
I downsized For less weight, but miss the 1100 power.
Only going up 40 lbs so should be fine.
Wish I could do it now to mod over winter, but the $$$$ wont work till spring.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pete, welcome aboard! Love the Nighthawk. I had a '93, and some of our other members here have them as well. My story is kind of similar to yours.

I bought my Nighthawk because I couldn't afford a newer Bonneville as a second bike to my VTX. I thoroughly enjoyed the Nighthawk, and sold it to a friend and got my Bonneville. A few bikes later, missing the feel of an inline four, I got my CB1100.

I think you'll find that the CB1100 is very similar to the Nighthawk in terms of riding characteristics, but with more power and refinement. Good luck in your search, and you'll find no end of resources here on the forum. We're all here to help each other!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the welcome!
Having had about all engine configurations,I like the inline 4 the best. Close 2nd the V4 in the Sabre. ST V4 I didn't like. Some change in the sound with different setup.
I finally got to see and ride a 14 CB1100 for the first time recently. It is like a big Nighthawk.
 
Howdy Pete and welcome to the forum

also had a 1985 V65 Sabre, a 2000 750 Nighthawk, and a 2006 ST 1300.

SOMkGOi.jpg


BdAnmR3.jpg


BvEDaew.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks forall the welcomes!


the Ferret said:
Howdy Pete and welcome to the forum

also had a 1985 V65 Sabre, a 2000 750 Nighthawk, and a 2006 ST 1300.

SOMkGOi.jpg


BdAnmR3.jpg


BvEDaew.jpg


Having some problems navigating the site. Since that's all changing I'll wait.

Same taste in bikes! Wow!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260916_154933_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20260916_154933_Gallery.webp
    255.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200408_113506.webp
    20200408_113506.webp
    266.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200408_181250.webp
    20200408_181250.webp
    230.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200408_112723.webp
    20200408_112723.webp
    209.1 KB · Views: 43
Welcome, Pete. Glad you joined the Forum. David
 
Pete in PA said:
Currently have a 92 750 Nighthawk, bought used 4 yrs ago at 20k miles. Now has 32k miles.
Previous bikes 83 650 Nighthawk,  85 V 65 Sabre, 98 Blackbird, 06 ST1300, 15 FJ-09, and 2 XR650L's.
I downsized For less weight, but miss the 1100 power.
Only going up 40 lbs so should be fine.
Wish I could do it now to mod over winter, but the $$$$ wont work till spring.

Welecome!  What iteration of CB1100 will you look for?
 
Thread starter
I'll be looking for a 2014 standard. Hopefully all OEM, unmolested.
On to problems...How long of a test ride to find out if it has the idle problem?
What chance is there that it will?
I think that's the big/ only one, beyond that, just normal stuff to check on a used bike.
 
I would talk with the previous owner if they ever noticed the issue, seems that the problem has been resolved to a bad ECU. Issue is getting a new ECU here in the US.
My 2014 has never had the issue with 25000 miles on it, and I wouldn't say I drive it gently all the time.
 
Pete in PA said:
I'll be looking for a 2014 standard. Hopefully all OEM, unmolested.
On to problems...How long of a test ride to find out if it has the idle problem?
What chance is there that it will?
I think that's the big/ only one, beyond that, just normal stuff to check on a used bike.

I had a '14 Standard that I bought new, and the high/low idle speed problem developed when the bike had around 11 or 12 thousand miles.  Seems like most days--maybe 75% of the time--when starting cold, things would be normal.  Idle would settle right at 1,000 when warming up.  But the high idle of 1,800-2,000rmp would then kick in within 1-2 miles from home and stay for the rest of the day's ride.  Turning the bike off and back on wouldn't change the high idle.  Let's say about 20% of the time, the high idle would start right away, immediately after starting the bike cold, and never come down from 1800.  Ocassionally, that other 5%, the high idle seemed to be gone, but it would always come back next ride.  

The low idle problem was a drop to 500-700rmp and would happen when the bike was fully warmed, not at a cold-start.  That only happened about 3 or 4 times, but kinda dangerous because the bike at 500rpm stalls and it did that once as I was pulling out into traffic.  That time, I had to let the bike sit for 30 minutes before it would start and then the high idle came back.  

I can't be sure it was weather temperature related, but my bike started having the problem after a long ride on a hot summer day.  As fall began with cooler temperatures, I seemed to have a few normal days but I didn't keep the bike long enough to find out if cooler temps really helped.
 
Thread starter
I can't help wondering if a throttle body cleaning would help with the problem starting with higher mileage. Some kind of build up somewhere that needs cleaned.
I've read the 145 pager on it and can't believe a new ECU is the only fix. Plus now you can't even get one??
 
pdedse said:
Pete in PA said:
What chance is there that it will?

I forgot to address that...it would be difficult to provide a real number.  There used to be an excel sheet that outlined the mini histories of those who had affected bikes (is that still around?, couldn't find).  And last time I counted, there seemed to be around 35 owners on this (and the old site) who reported an issue.  So it's not a huge number and your chances are relatively small that you'll encounter the problem.  On the other hand, you know about the issue, and you should request a test ride for this very reason.  Having gone through this experience, I simply would not buy a '13 or '14 unless I were allowed to do a good 15 mile test ride.  And I'd ask the owner if any issues were ever noted.  If you do get to this point, insist that the start-up be from a cold bike, and then let it warm up fully before riding to make sure RPM starts at 1500 cold, and then over the next minute or two drops to 1000-1050.  If I'm not mistaken, that's normal.  At least you would know that it did fall to normal rpm before starting out.
 
Thread starter
One is at a dealer, one is a private owner. At this point I don't think either will sell till spring and then I'll look into them.
Of course others will come up.
 
Thread starter
Had a change in my $$$$ availability and will get one now asap.
Looking at one with only 3500 miles for $5k but it's 4 hours away. Still in PA, but almost at Ohio.
Another one only 40 mikes away, but haven't had a reply yet on FB.
This will allow me to mod it over the winter since I have a ride in basement.
I will be adding longer spacers to the forks and 15wt Maxima fork oil.
Who has left the forks alone here?
How many have stiffened them up?
 
Thread starter
Here is a video of my friend Jon with a CB1100 with the fork mods.
I sent him a chart of fork oil weights.
One mfg. 15wt isnt the same as anothers. Very important. One 10wt is thicker than anothers 15wt.
He has a great channel with lots of bikes. Has 2 CB1100'S on it. Also my 92 750 Nighthawk 2 videos.
 
Back
Top