Pitting on Horn Bracket (and other parts...)

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Has anyone else noticed that the black finish on their horn brackets are pitted?
Granted I live 7 miles from the Pacific Ocean, but, none of my other Honda's have experienced this problem to this extent this early in the bikes life.



My solution was to buff them with 0000 steel wool then refinish with gun bluing. Not sure how long that will hold, we'll see.





Next parts I need to address are the tubes and nuts for the throttle cables.


TINK
 
That's disappointing. I live in an arid climate and haven't experienced those issues. One question: why not simply apply a coat of enamel?
 
Thread starter
Enamel will be my next step if this doesn't do the trick, LongRanger. I was trying to achieve a finish as close to the OEM finish as I could. I have no ideal what Honda uses to finish these parts, but it's not an enamel, it's too thin to be enamel.
 
I have noticed that "chalkiness" in my throttle cables (never looked at the horn bracket) after washing with the S100 or Cycle Brite and always figured I just didn't get it rinsed properly. Unlike your bike, when looking at finish flaws on my bike, the throttle cables won't draw much attention lol
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I have the same issue. Noticed it early on. Since then, I've tried not to look at it. Let me know how the fix goes.
That's the spirit MG :thumbsup: Ride more...worry less ;)
 
My bike has done the exact same thing. I live in San Diego, about 6 miles from the coast, but my bike is always garaged whenever it's not being ridden. Worse than this (and I've been meaning to start a thread on this topic) is I have areas near the bolt heads on the LH side case that are corroding also. I thought that maybe something corrosive from the road splashed up on it, but the corrosion is limited to specific areas directly in the areas of the bolt heads and do not indicate a splash pattern, so I have ruled this out. My 1998 VFR800 horn bracket did the exact same thing, but it took almost 10 years before the condition got bad. Has anyone else on this forum noticed any corrosion around the bolt heads on the LH side case, near the alternator area?
 
I have bits of corrosion in a number of places. I've got the same sort of pitting as Tink and others; I've also had corrosion on the chrome pipes to the oil filter. Other chrome nuts have shown hints of it. Recently I noticed some tiny spots of rust on the chrome of the rear shocks. I live 30 km from the ocean, but it's pretty humid for much of the year.

My view is that the build quality of this, and indeed other motorcycles, is pretty low. They are, for heaven's sake, meant to be ridden outside and should be able to withstand the weather better than they appear to.

That said, it doesn't make me love the bike any less. I bought it to ride it and it gives me great pleasure to do that. I don't think, though, that I should have to do too much more than keep it clean to keep it in reasonable condition.
 
This doesn't make any sense.
Besides the cb1100 (2013 abs European model) I have a pcx125 which I drive every day. Being a daily commuter, it gets ridden in the rain, gets splashed with groundwater and is hardly ever washed or pampered. It’s parked in the garage, right by the cb and was bought 2 months before her big sister.
It doesn’t have a speck of rust on the cables or any of the exposed metal. Considering the price differential, I would expect the cb to have a much better class of materials/finish.
This is the second time I’ve had repairs done under guarantee for rust, the front forks, the mirrors and tubes connected to the oil radiator have all been replaced.
I really love the bike and plan on keeping and riding it for a long time, but I am somewhat disappointed about this rust issue.
 
Ghost_diver_imp said:
This doesn't make any sense.
Besides the cb1100 (2013 abs European model) I have a pcx125 which I drive every day. Being a daily commuter, it gets ridden in the rain, gets splashed with groundwater and is hardly ever washed or pampered. It’s parked in the garage, right by the cb and was bought 2 months before her big sister.
It doesn’t have a speck of rust on the cables or any of the exposed metal. Considering the price differential, I would expect the cb to have a much better class of materials/finish.
This is the second time I’ve had repairs done under guarantee for rust, the front forks, the mirrors and tubes connected to the oil radiator have all been replaced.
I really love the bike and plan on keeping and riding it for a long time, but I am somewhat disappointed about this rust issue.
Me too.
 
I didn't see any corrosion on either the horn brackets or the covers by the alternator. But the finish on the horn brackets is not up to what I would call Honda standards.

Interestingly, on the back of the horn brackets, the current draw, etc. of the horns is stenciled on them. In white on the right side, yellow on the left. Weird huh?
 
Tink,

If you get any more corrosion on those brackets I suggest sanding them and using a high quality paint. If you want to go overboard you can powder coat them. Gun blue is actually a type of rust finish and it provides very little protection from further corrosion. Cheers.

Chip
 
I realize this is an older post. Just thought I'd put it out there that I have had great results with an anti-corrosion paint, POR-15, here on the westcoast. Couple of things to know though. It fades over time when exposed to direct sunlight. I usually put a coat of a good enamel paint over it for outside applications. I buy it in the smaller cans because reopening the can after use is near impossible. They are not kidding when they warn you of this in the directions.

Here's the link for it at Amazon.

POR-15 45006-6PK Gloss Black Rust Preventive Coating - 4 fl. oz., (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2VULQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VqELwbN09QEG0

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
While changing tires, I discovered lots of pitting at the front abs ring of the front wheel:

ddc959cef651d152dafebde0f4cf75b7.jpg


This bike is just 15 month licensed and stays in an underground parking lot, when not ridden.
 
Django_imp said:
While changing tires, I discovered lots of pitting at the front abs ring of the front wheel:

ddc959cef651d152dafebde0f4cf75b7.jpg


This bike is just 15 month licensed and stays in an underground parking lot, when not ridden.
That's crazy. The ones on the bikes with black wheels are painted and seem to do okay. I'm kinda amazed that the ones for silver wheels aren't painted and aren't made of stainless steel.
 
Django_imp said:
While changing tires, I discovered lots of pitting at the front abs ring of the front wheel:

ddc959cef651d152dafebde0f4cf75b7.jpg


This bike is just 15 month licensed and stays in an underground parking lot, when not ridden.
Django, I discovered the same rust at the abs front ring. Not as much as your CB
but still some. The first time I saw it was not so much time after
I started to ride my Honda. Seems as if the manufacturer didn't use good
quality painting at this part. Same goes for the fins of the motor and the
upper fork crown.

I try to clean the abs ring and the crown with an old tooth brush and a chrome
polish every once in a while. Afterwards it gets a bit of corrosion oil to stop
rust again.

It's just the way it is and the only thing I can do is, to stop the parts from rusting too much.
Sometimes I repaint too.

All this is quite awkward and not really necessary with such an expensive motorbike
build by a very established motorbike manufacturer as Honda is known for.

Wisedrum
 
My abs ring isn't rusting (last time I looked) but the paint has certainly not held up well.
 
Back
Top