Pirelli Angel GTs en route

Rolls_imp

Been there
Thread starter
After 3 fronts and two rears of the stock BT54 variety, 26,900 miles [correction, 25,900 (got a little carried away :shy: )], lots of research, and Pterodactyl's helpful updates I put in an order today for Angel GTs in the sizes you'd expect, if you've been following these newer option tire threads: 110/80 F (stock) and 160/60 rear (closest available to stock).

My conclusion, after lots of research was that the PR3sand the Angel GTs were both great choices, offering a bit of performance improvement, better road feel, and long, more even f/r, life. It helped my decision to deviate from stock to hear the excellent experience many forum friends were having with these options, including some of our most experienced, Ptero and The ferret, among others. A real good price on the Pirellis made it easier for me to pull the trigger today. So did a possible track day at Thunderhill about 10 days from now.

That last bit, and our dry weather and comfy temps, made me really tempted to try a pair of the ContiRoadAttack 2 CR hides that Ulvetanna is enjoying. Ultimately, $ and durability conspired to help me conclude that the Angels would the best bet for me right now.

The value of the depth and breadth of experience among our members and their willingness to share their insights cannot be overstated. Sure has made my miles on this fine bike safer and more enjoyable. For that, I continue to be grateful.
 
Wow! A lot of good miles on your CB! Thanks for sharing your experience on your stock tires. I love how much life we get out of the tires, chains, and sprockets on these bikes.
 
You got 27,000 miles out of just 2 Bridgestone BT54s? Holy cow, certainly can't complain about the mileage you got out of them lol. I got 8500 out of my original Dunlop, and 10,500 out of my first PR3 and now on my second PR3.
 
Thread starter
Oops. Got a little carried away... correct mileage is 25,900, not 26,900. Your point remains valid, though, ferret - that's pretty good mileage outta those rear BT54s.
Great price from a vendor I'm trying for the first time, Jake Wilson out of Utah, $248 shipped! That's crazy, right? $40 Pirelli debit card, to boot.

I'm shipping to another new (to me) vendor I'm trying, MotoTireGuy in San Francisco, a highly Yelp rated guy with No-Mar equipment who specializes in mounting and balancing tires his customers bought elsewhere.
 
Let us know how your Jake Wilson experience is. THey have some good tire prices online.
 
I've got the Angel GT's top of my list too. Will hold off buying for a spell, let us know how they work for you!
 
The ferret_imp said:
You got 27,000 miles out of just 2 Bridgestone BT54s? Holy cow, certainly can't complain about the mileage you got out of them lol. I got 8500 out of my original Dunlop, and 10,500 out of my first PR3 and now on my second PR3.
He indicated 3 front tires and 2 rears to reach that mileage, or did you mean just the two rear tires? Yes astonishing either way, I replace tires as soon as the handling falls off, usually when the rear starts to flat spot or the front gets triangulated. Not worn out, technically, just worn down.
 
Yes, I was talking the two rears @ approx. 13,500 miles each and now that we're talking about it most guys have been getting about 6,000 out of a Bridgestone front so he did really well with the mileage on them too at approx. 9,000 miles each.
 
I haven't gotten more than a few thousand miles out of a rear tire before picking up a nail or other road detritus. I'm at 9,500 miles on the clock and I'm on my 3rd rear tire. Sheesh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Pauley_imp said:
I haven't gotten more than a few thousand miles out of a rear tire before picking up a nail or other road detritus. I'm at 9,500 miles on the clock and I'm on my 3rd rear tire. Sheesh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly have no idea about these mileage figures. Even when I first started riding, well over 30 years ago, I never got anything remotely close to those numbers. I think I remember getting maybe 5,000 miles out of a set of tires during my first few years of riding. One would have to be exceptionally easy on the throttle to get those high mileage numbers, especially with a fairly heavy ride like the CB1100. I never run a tire to the wear bars on any vehicle. These numbers just seem outrageous. Not disingenous, just outrageous. I got to hand it to anyone who can ride easy enough to preserve rubber for that long; I get a fistful of that 1140cc inline four and conserving the tires is the last thing on my mind.
 
I'm about 700 miles into a set of Angel GTs....a bit early for any serious conclusions, but I will say it's been a great tire so far. Going to the 160 rear has not led to any noticeable loss of agility, at least not by my standards. The tires have a very round profile design; not a sharper V-shape like what you might find in a sportier tire. Therefore, I didn't have the "Wow, these tires turn-in much better than the old ones" experience that is so common with new tires. They're seemingly a very grippy tire though, and they look really cool as well. For the price paid and anticipated mileage, I think I'll be very happy with these. I think you'll be too.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Jim. The set I ordered arrived at the installer's and I hope to bring my wheels up and have the Angel GTs mounted by Tuesday. Looking forward to it.
 
I have reason to believe that Pterodactyl is very happy with his Pirelli Angel GTs.
 
Thread starter
Update: Fabulously happy with my Angel GTs so far.

How come?? More communicative in turns. Trying to correct my observations for the old worn out tires to fresh new rubber, as best as one can I suppose, the major difference is significantly better feedback and feel when cornering at decent, not necessarily aggressive, lean angles.

I thought inquiring minds might want to know.
 
mininsx_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I've got a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact ordered myself. I wanted to keep the stock size because I remember when I went to a larger rear on my '99 Nighthawk 750 it changed the handling too much.

Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
i just had them installed on my DLX.
i just had them installed on my DLX.
How do you like them?
i just had them installed on my DLX.
How do you like them?
haven't done much riding on them, but so far so good.
i will be riding to ohio next weekend.
 
Thread starter
Not sure why I was so stingy with the pics when these skins went on last April, at 25,900 miles. I do remember working well into the night before heading out pre-dawn to ride up to Thunderhill for a track day, must've been squeezed for time, exhausted upon return, and then cleared the slate of prior tasks, as my old brain tends to do.

For historical perspective, I've always stuck with OEM Bridgestones before these. It was 2 rears and 3 fronts that got me to 25,900 miles.

The BT54s were well-worn:

Rear




Front
[url=https://refract.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Forum-Photos/i-73nSVVp/A]

The new Pirellis, otoh, look... new.

[url=https://refract.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Forum-Photos/i-CtL2RRt/A]

[url=https://refract.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Forum-Photos/i-SVnzqnq/A]
 
Back
Top