Phone or Sat Nav? What mount ? Quad lock or......

Davidjill_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all

So what do you all use for navigation when out on your bikes?

Maps on phone like google or a stand alone sat nav like Garmin?

How do you mount them?

Tank bag, Bar Mount etc
 
After being all over the board myself on all my various motorcycle excursions i keep landing on google maps. Yes, it doesn't work when you lose your cell signal, but it will still navigate as long as you're already on a route before the signal goes away and you can still download maps for offline use, and at the end of the day it's just SO much easier to search and plan routes than any existing dedicated GPS mount system. So much more intuitive, just because you don't really have to have any idea of the physical address in order to plan a route. hand anybody a GPS and hand me a phone with google maps and i'll have my day's route planned in 1/4 the time.

that said, if you're going to use a phone, quadlock is king. i resisted buying one for years because of the cost but as soon as I did i was sold. Nothing works as well. Mine is mounted through clutch lever clamp bolts, which is really convenient because it doesn't require space on the handlebars and is in a perfect position to be out of the way of my clocks.
 
Phone for me. Quadlock mounting system. Power from USB outlet on the handlebars. I use Sygic, Google Maps and Apple Maps. My preference these days is Apple Maps because it has most of the power of Google and handles waypoints way, way better. You don’t have to stop and fiddle to move to the next leg.
 
Phone for me and i've already ditched my Garmin almost a decade ago.
RAM X-grip mount and USB port.
Apple, then Google maps.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality' pid='350295' dateline='1721733612 said:
After being all over the board myself on all my various motorcycle excursions i keep landing on google maps. Yes, it doesn't work when you lose your cell signal, but it will still navigate as long as you're already on a route before the signal goes away and you can still download maps for offline use, and at the end of the day it's just SO much easier to search and plan routes than any existing dedicated GPS mount system. So much more intuitive, just because you don't really have to have any idea of the physical address in order to plan a route. hand anybody a GPS and hand me a phone with google maps and i'll have my day's route planned in 1/4 the time.

that said, if you're going to use a phone, quadlock is king. i resisted buying one for years because of the cost but as soon as I did i was sold. Nothing works as well. Mine is mounted through clutch lever clamp bolts, which is really convenient because it doesn't require space on the handlebars and is in a perfect position to be out of the way of my clocks.
[/quote

Oh thats an interesting thought can you send a picture of the mount set up? Thanks
 
I use Waze or CaliMoto app is specifically a motorcycle navigation app with all sorts of features for trips. Finding routes to ride based on how twisty you want it, etc.

I just ran a charging cable to my handlebars and use a pretty standard mount that both clamps and uses a rubber band over each corner of the phone as an added layer of keeping it on the mount.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I've settled on the phone, that I keep in the inside pocket of my jacket, with an ear bud plugged into it. I really can't see the phone outside in daylight, so I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i dont like using my phone for navigation, never did. I also never mount it externally on a bike anymore, killed one once doing that, and have seen mounts fail regardless of how good they were, and in crashes, so the phone stays secured on my person, or in a tail or tank bag. (depending on the bike im on) . So... here's what i did.
I bought an old garmin Nuvi200, nos in the box for like 20 bucks on ebay. since it was from 2015? i replaced the battery, then registered it on my garmin account ( I have a larger car one w lifetime map updates), put in an 8g card and uploaded the 2024 map files. I have less than 50 bucks in it, its up to date, and gives traffic updates. If it ever gets destroyed, i have a spare one new in box as a backup. 0.02
I just looked it up on ebay and see them real cheap also. I see alot of different Nuvi models for cheap with lifetime maps. Is there a specific model that better suited for the bikes in size and handlebar mount?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've settled on the phone, that I keep in the inside pocket of my jacket, with an ear bud plugged into it. I really can't see the phone outside in daylight, so I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've settled on the phone, that I keep in the inside pocket of my jacket, with an ear bud plugged into it. I really can't see the phone outside in daylight, so I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
Us experienced guys know what works. I used to have music playing, and my jam was Pink Floyd or Muddy Waters, but it became more hassle than fun and I quit listening to music while riding.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've settled on the phone, that I keep in the inside pocket of my jacket, with an ear bud plugged into it. I really can't see the phone outside in daylight, so I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
Us experienced guys know what works. I used to have music playing, and my jam was Pink Floyd or Muddy Waters, but it became more hassle than fun and I quit listening to music while riding.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
Us experienced guys know what works. I used to have music playing, and my jam was Pink Floyd or Muddy Waters, but it became more hassle than fun and I quit listening to music while riding.
Nice taste in music.....
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've settled on the phone, that I keep in the inside pocket of my jacket, with an ear bud plugged into it. I really can't see the phone outside in daylight, so I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
Us experienced guys know what works. I used to have music playing, and my jam was Pink Floyd or Muddy Waters, but it became more hassle than fun and I quit listening to music while riding.
This is what I do. I either have Bluetooth earbuds or a single earbud in my ears/ear, and listen to Googlemaps or Waze from my phone in my pocket. As I've mentioned previously, Jamiroquai is THE only riding music, so that's usually in my ears as well.
Us experienced guys know what works. I used to have music playing, and my jam was Pink Floyd or Muddy Waters, but it became more hassle than fun and I quit listening to music while riding. More of a def Leppard/white snake guy myself lol dad always had the hair metal bands on so it stuck.

If Danger zone from the top gun movie comes on though.. I'm speeding lol

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
You need better earplugs, Nachodaddy.
 
My phone is holstered on my belt.
If I need to check a map (as if getting lost is a bad thing...unless fuel is low), I pull over and check.
Not a common occurrence, as I plan routes in advance, especially fuel and food stops in remote areas.
If the route is complicated, sometimes I jot down steps on a 3x5 card.
If I decide to reference the card, a quick stop offers a chance to stretch and sip water.

I've thought about a GPS or phone holder, but riding in high temps is a concern for electronics.

I did use a GPS (suction cupped behind windscreen) on my 1105 mile 6 day ride Sep 2020, but then gave it to a granddaughter, as I really did not feel the need to continue to use it.
 
Back
Top