Perth-Principality of Hutt River-Monkey Mia

MrTim_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I got back yesterday from a little trip about midway up Western Australia.
I went up along the coastal highway and stopped the night at a little place called the Principality of Hutt River. The Principality has an interesting history (check wikipedia if you're curious), basically a farmer had a dispute with the state government in 1970 over a wheat quota that was brought in after his crop was ready to harvest, the whole thing escalated to the point where he declared his farm a sovereign state and seceded from Australia. Prince Leonard has not paid tax in all that time, anyone can come visit the Principality, get their passport stamped, buy some Principality stamps and have a general tour of the place. I set up my swag and camped the night there.
After that it was a good days ride to Denham/Monkey Mia. Denham is a pleasant little town and the most Westerly town in Australia. Emus also walk around the streets like pigeons might elsewhere, I was worried one might peck my precious little CB but they proved to be pretty well behaved.
I spent two nights chilling out at the resort of Monkey Mia before heading back (through the more central, but much duller Brand Hwy) towards Perth at 8ish in the morning, arriving home at 5:30pm, one helluva long ride!
 
Nice ride. Mr Tim. Decent sort of trip home for a day's ride.

Is the Prince still with us? He is/was an amazing character. I'm glad his little farce is still running along.

There was a copycat character in Tasmania who called himself the Duke of Avram and ended up getting himself elected to Parliament. He didn't have a principality though.
 
Thread starter
Sadly I'm not a huge photo taker, but here are a couple I did take.

That 15 on the sign? 15 kilometres of brutally corrugated gravel road to the Principality, my poor little CB almost shook herself to bits and I almost came off twice, despite only going about 30kph.

Just outside the Principality, there was a sign marking the border between Hutt River and Australia, but I didn't stop to get a photo because I was to busy sweating my ring off trying not to drop her.

Prince Leonard's Rolla'.

Awesome traditional Aussie country pub I stopped at at a town called Northampton on my way back down. The proprietor of this joint must be a serious booty man, there were photos and paintings throughout the interior of lovely ladies posteriors, just my kind of watering hole.
Cormanus_imp said:
Nice ride. Mr Tim. Decent sort of trip home for a day's ride.

Is the Prince still with us? He is/was an amazing character. I'm glad his little farce is still running along.

There was a copycat character in Tasmania who called himself the Duke of Avram and ended up getting himself elected to Parliament. He didn't have a principality though.
He is still with us and getting about pretty well for an eighty eight year old! He is a widower though and you can tell that he sorely misses his wife. :(

While there I bought myself a Hutt River badge that I'll get sowed into the arm of my jacket.
 
Nice photos, Tim.

The bike looks great. Did it handle OK all loaded up?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Nice photos, Tim.

The bike looks great. Did it handle OK all loaded up?
Mate she handled it with aplomb! You'd barely even notice you have the extra the weight. Can probably feel the drag when you're going 160ish overtaking someone though.
 
What are the side bags you're using. Do they require special mounting? You seem to have them resting on top of other gear. Or is that an illusion?
 
Awesome Mr. Tim. I hate gravel. I'm not sure how far 15 km of it is, but I know it would be too far. Wouldn't enjoy that one bit. The rest looks great though. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top