Personalized Plates

Flynrider_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
Randy, something to do with an Oldsmobile 442?

BTW, why should I spend extra money for personalized license plates when my CB1100 looks awesome without them?
More specifically, a 1970 Olds 442?

7de217ef4b3f3a4727e0fa6412667c9d.jpg
More specifically, a 1970 Olds 442?

87c5f5fdb53267fc075d55c541832e76.jpg

Yup.
f00963361cb5dbc3823a73d2dba38352.jpg


People would say "Savant 442? what does that mean?" :huh::huh::dodgy::dodgy:
 
egleaves_imp said:
I drove around Ohio for a few years with this one on my Corvair. I was surprised that Ohio allowed it. I still have the car and plates, but I haven't put the car back on the road since moving to CA three years ago.

cfa508aa921f5462ee9345633714fe06.jpg
Good one, Eagleaves! Ralph would be so proud. :D :D
 
Thread starter
We have a '70 442 in the museum. When I show it on tours, I challenge people to tell me what they think "442" stands for. Everyone insists that their answer is right.
"I know this one... it's four wheels, four seat belts, two cigarette lighters!"

Eagleaves, at least if you register the 'Vair here in CA now, it's pre-smog.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
We have a '70 442 in the museum. When I show it on tours, I challenge people to tell me what they think "442" stands for. Everyone insists that their answer is right.
"I know this one... it's four wheels, four seat belts, two cigarette lighters!"

Eagleaves, at least if you register the 'Vair here in CA now, it's pre-smog.
1964: 4 barrel, 4 speed, dual exhaust
1965: 400 CID, 4 speed, dual exhaust
1966: It became the moniker for Oldsmobile's performance car
1968: It became it's own model with distinctive VIN starting with 344
1972: It gets dropped as it's own model and you could even get a straight 6 with the 442 option. V code and X code VINs are sought after because they denote the 455 engine. X being the W30.

I could go on, but I digress. :D:D
 
egleaves_imp said:
I drove around Ohio for a few years with this one on my Corvair. I was surprised that Ohio allowed it. I still have the car and plates, but I haven't put the car back on the road since moving to CA three years ago.

cfa508aa921f5462ee9345633714fe06.jpg
Not a personalized plate comment, but definitely a plate comment:

Some years ago I was cutting through Newark, NJ with my Ontario plate. At red light a rookie NJ police officer pulls right up along side in his blacked out Suburban, leans out the window and yells, " ... thith iz naught Ohio!". (not sure if he had a pierced tongue)

I hope his employer has a decent eye care benefits package.

- - -

Nice Corvair egleaves.
 
Back
Top