Personalized Plates

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
My wife is out of town tending to her mother, so I had my mates over last night to help me with my whiskey bottles, some of which were still on the upper shelves.

We started talking about fun ideas for personalized license plates. I'd love to get them for my bikes. However, there have been issues with the car pool lane cameras on the 110 freeway in downtown LA, which apparently get confused only with a personalized plate on a motorcycle and end up sending the owner a violation notice.

The best choices I could come up with for my two bikes are:

DFUGAWE

DAMF1NO

The second one has a double meaning, as Buster Keaton is my favorite actor.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in this combination, have at it. Both configurations are currently available, in California at least.
 
Thread starter
Funny you should mention, you can still get CB 11OO in California as well.

That would save someone from rear ending you trying to calculate the Roman numerals while they come up behind you.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Funny you should mention, you can still get CB 11OO in California as well.

That would save someone from rear ending you trying to calculate the Roman numerals while they come up behind you.
:rofl:
:rofl:
I saw a van with CB1100 plates here in Virginia. Maybe the bike was in the back?
 
Back in 83 I had "Zuki" on my 83 Suzuki GS 1100E, then Ohio went nuts and started charging $60 for a personalized plate instead of $25 for a regular plate so I quit getting personalized plates. Now they are up to $34.50 for a regular plate and up to $84.50 for a personalized plate.
 
My plate is unique to my bike and probably better than one I could make up - issued by the State; just for me. :D

On a side note, when I got the plates for my '14 they had changed the numbering system a bit - now it looks like a personalized plate - from a guy that can't spell.
 
Thread starter
I now realize that my two license plate choices, detailed in the opening post, represent a "call and response", and would only have full effect if both bikes were parked together next to each other so that the plates could be read in sequence. "Where d'fug are we? Damn 'f I know". Alcohol can convert us all into Hemingway I suppose.

I used to have EZ RYDER on my motorcycles, but dropped the personalized plate. When I had it, that plate was affixed to my earlier choice of bikes, heavy cruisers with wide handlebars, and on a few occasions, I grazed mirrors passing cars while splitting. Nothing major mind you. But, I didn't want my bike to be "memorable" as I rode away from a driver who may have noticed. Nowadays, it's more of a practical decision, as I don't want to get a stream of toll lane violations in my mailbox.

Coincidentally, my 2013 CB came with the random-issued plate "21N2013", which would help me to remember it. However, unfortunately, the original owner attempted to fashion his own makeshift eliminator for the gantry of reflectors on the factory license mount, and had drilled two shoddy holes through the middle of the plate to attach it to the bike. I didn't like that much, so I exchanged the mutilated plate for a new random one when I registered the bike.

What's my new license number? Damn 'f I know.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Back in 83 I had "Zuki" on my 83 Suzuki GS 1100E, then Ohio went nuts and started charging $60 for a personalized plate instead of $25 for a regular plate so I quit getting personalized plates. Now they are up to $34.50 for a regular plate and up to $84.50 for a personalized plate.
Each of our plates are about $10.00 more than yours.
I can't do anything about the regular plate fee, but gave up on the idea of a personalized plate long ago.
 
In Ohio a personalized plate costs about $50 extra per year. Per year!!! Plus on motorcycle plates we only get 5 characters (including spaces). I currently have TWNCM on my Harley with a TwinCam engine, but the 5 characters is very limiting. On my tuned toy Ford Fiesta ST I have I1II1I1 because I wanted something that looks like a bar code and would be impossible to remember at a glance. At least on an auto plate we get up to 7 characters.
 
Lol that plate on the Fiesta would be hard to memorize quickly
 
Thread starter
Hey, someone else on the board with a Fiesta ST!

In California, a standard plate follows the vehicle with the sale. But, a personalized plate can go with the owner, and titled to another car if done within 90 days. I'm a huge HB Halicki fan, and have had the plate GONIN6O for many years. It's graced the back bumper of no less than six Mustangs.

Since I currently own a Fiesta, albeit the "cool version", I have to put GONIN6O on it to keep the plate. I have to explain regularly to people what it means, since it's not attached to a Mustang, which would naturally answer the question.
 
I drove around Ohio for a few years with this one on my Corvair. I was surprised that Ohio allowed it. I still have the car and plates, but I haven't put the car back on the road since moving to CA three years ago.

cfa508aa921f5462ee9345633714fe06.jpg
 
That's a great plate on your Corvair.

Around here, instead of vanity plates, folks install dark tinted plastic covers over their plates so they can't be read at a glance (or by the freeway toll cameras). They also install black-out tinting on all their windows, so nobody can peer in and see who's in the car. It's hard to imagine this stuff isn't illegal, but it's not here.
 
He hasn't been around for at least 3 years I think
 
I know. I always liked his username.
 
This was on my car, and nobody could figure out what it meant, which really confused me because of what the car was. Can you figure it out?
 
Randy, something to do with an Oldsmobile 442?

BTW, why should I spend extra money for personalized license plates when my CB1100 looks awesome without them?
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Randy, something to do with an Oldsmobile 442?

BTW, why should I spend extra money for personalized license plates when my CB1100 looks awesome without them?
More specifically, a 1970 Olds 442?

7de217ef4b3f3a4727e0fa6412667c9d.jpg
 
Back
Top