"Perma-Gray" for Cormanus

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
The other day in a thread I mentioned Perma-Gray. It's a condition us Midwestern folks go thru from November to March when the skies are almost always overcast and the sun rarely peaks through. Bright sunny blue bird skies with white puffy clouds are rare days. Usually it's more like the following pics which I took on today's ride.

typical midwestern sky in November..December..January..February lol



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Dec%202%202015%20002_zpsmcnpgunn.jpg.html]

Skies like this can be dry..OR rain or snow depending on the temp. It was dry from sun up until 2. Is supposed to start raining about 3PM and turning to snow flurries about 5 pm when the temp drops. Today we get it all.

Notice there are no shadows. This is middle of the day 1:45 ish

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Dec%202%202015%20018_zpsctms7p4h.jpg.html]

I think the gauges say 1:48 PM 46 degrees and I had gone 89 miles at this point and am about 5 miles from home. Also noticed I turned over 64,000 miles on the ST on yesterdays ride. Still can't find that 6th gear lol

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Dec%202%202015%20019_zpsak5ce4ws.jpg.html]

also notice the cars coming toward me have their headlights on in the middle of the afternoon

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Dec%202%202015%20021_zpszcecvlh9.jpg.html]

ahh the joys of being a motorcyclist in Ohio in the late fall/early winter.
 
Thanks, Ferret. Great photos that really catch the character of the day. For some reason I particularly like the one where you're climbing the hill through the trees stripped of leaves. It captures the essence of that time of the year well.

There are not many parts of Australia guaranteed to get snow in the winter, but as you head further south there is plenty of 'perma-gray'. I don't know about Ohio, but when it breaks here in the middle of winter and the sun comes out in a clear blue sky, it is stunningly beautiful.

Less than 36,000 miles to go on the ST. Keep looking; you'll find 6th!
 
Really good photos Micky. Your perma-gray description reminds me of my neighbor when I lived in Jacksonville. He was from southern Ohio and though he did not use the same term for the cold months in Ohio, his sentiments mirrored yours.

Stay safe out there.
 
We live in the same demographic weather map, Those clouds are depressing, it almost never ends, 16 weeks till april fools day, not really very long.............unless you ride motorcycles....
 
I always have my headlights on. If it's good enough for motorcyclists, it's good enough for my car/truck. :)
 
Gentlemen,

Days like that are rare and special here in AZ. 350 days of sunshine a year sounds great BUT.....120 of those days are so hot that you can only ride at night. When I was going to college in San Diego I experienced permagrey and after a few weeks it was depressing.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Chip... People get clinically depressed around here in the winter. There is actually a name for the depression that comes from not seeing the sun day after day. Some people take drugs to dull the depression. I ride :D
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Days like that are rare and special here in AZ. 350 days of sunshine a year sounds great BUT.....120 of those days are so hot that you can only ride at night. When I was going to college in San Diego I experienced permagrey and after a few weeks it was depressing.

Chip
In AZ how bad are the bugs at night during the hot spells? Around here I usually avoid nights if I can help it...
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Days like that are rare and special here in AZ. 350 days of sunshine a year sounds great BUT.....120 of those days are so hot that you can only ride at night. When I was going to college in San Diego I experienced permagrey and after a few weeks it was depressing.

Chip
In AZ how bad are the bugs at night during the hot spells? Around here I usually avoid nights if I can help it...
HB2,

Bugs are almost never bad here and it's rare to get hit with a big bug. Most of the bugs that do hit my face shield are really small and very few of them day or night, summer or winter.

Chip
 
Ya yes, reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in Seattle...
My ST1300 will turn over 30,000 miles soon.

I too seem to have gotten the one without the 6th gear, but I still try to shift past 5th, LOL.
 
Tink, the joke about the 6th gear is that I rented an ST in the US earlier this year. The bloke at Eaglerider told me it had 6 gears and I was so blown away by riding in the US that I took him at his word and persuaded myself that he was right. When I me the Ferret at IHML, I was telling him MY ST had 6 gears and he was assuring me (correctly as it turned out) that it didn't at all. I've been innumerate for ever, but I thought I could at least count to 5, even with both hands on the handlebars. It came as a bit of a shock that I couldn't. I still enjoyed the ST.

On another matter, depression induced by 'perma-gray' is known as SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder.
 
rbike_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I thought "perma-gray" was the official hair color of the CB1100 Forum.
Except for those answering the Under 45 thread.
Except for those answering the Under 45 thread.
Er, well, some of us, myself included, were seriously gray long before 45. In my case the gray hair started around 33! The gray in my beard was even more pronounced! Was decidedly NOT ready at that point in my life to be a "gray beard," so shaved it off for 20 years. When I let the beard grow out again at 53, was amazed and amused to see how good a color match there was between head and beard! Very seldom shave anymore, and I'm lovin' it!

YMMV! :P
fritz
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I thought "perma-gray" was the official hair color of the CB1100 Forum.
Ha! My thoughts exactly. I noticed that the perma-gray has expanded from my head to my chest. I'm afraid to look lower. At least the hair in my ears is still black.
 
Back
Top