People keep dying

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Wow two people died this week in my town on motorcycles. Check it out. One died Friday on the freeway lane splitting between a semi and a civic he was knock off the bike and under the semi... Ouch!!!

Last night a solo rider hit a curb was ejects and knocked down a light pole!!! Died later at the hospital.

I'm being extra cautious lately. This is unusual to have this many accidents in 3 days.

My Fiance and Family are all super worried about me riding now. I assure them I am safe but this is getting annoying we all understand the dangers of riding and do out best to be safe.

Story tree grows at Soboba Preschool

Story tree grows at Soboba Preschool
 
We had a number of motorcycle deaths this summer as well. Nearly all seemed to be crashes involving drunk drivers hitting the motorcyclist with their car during early morning hours.

Also a quite a rash of drunk drivers hitting houses with their cars. Not even safe in your home.

I got rear ended a few weeks ago in a four car pileup. Thankfully, I was in my car and at the front of the crash. The others were hauled out in ambulances. I didn't hurt until the next day. No idea if the driver was drunk, texting, or just not paying attention. Looking at the crash made me seriously question riding.
 
That happens A LOT. I don't condone it, but there is nothing strictly PROHIBITING splitting at that speed. Personally his big mistake was splitting next to a truck. That is a HUGE no no.
 
Sounds like these 2 were judgment errors and could have been avoided with safe/sane riding practices.

Being cognizant of the risk is GOOD; anticipate what others may do, assume that nobody sees you, don't drink and ride, and wear proper gear. Do that and you at least give yourself a fighting chance. Be safe out there!

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
As it's been posted before, a few major points to reduce your chance of being in an accident and dying.
1. wear a helmet
2. don't speed
3. don't drink/drug
 
Both of these fatal crashes do seem at least a little bit preventable by the riders. Lane splitting at that speed is at the least stupid, and probably careless if not reckless. I'll take your word for it that its not strictly prohibited - did you mean technically not prohibited by law?- But neither is sticking your finger into an electrical socket. Doesn't mean you should do it. Doing stupid things on a motorcycle can get bad real quick.

Also, to hit a curb without involvement by another vehicle? And to be launched with such force to take down a pole tells me at least speed was a factor.

Yes, we are victims of a drunk or careless cage driver all too often, but many M/C crashes are also due to the motorcyclist being drunk. I choose to lower the odds by riding sober, wearing protective HI-Viz gear, installing driving lights, and generally not doing dumb things while riding.
 
Thread starter
I agree with everyone it's just a matter of convincing my fiancé and family I ride safe and to not worry so much. Both accidents were the rider's fault. I stay far far away from semis if I can. They scare me lol I also don't lane split unless I am at a stop light or in slow 5-10mph traffic. Lane splitting at 70+ is asking for it
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Both of these fatal crashes do seem at least a little bit preventable by the riders. Lane splitting at that speed is at the least stupid, and probably careless if not reckless. I'll take your word for it that its not strictly prohibited - did you mean technically not prohibited by law?- But neither is sticking your finger into an electrical socket. Doesn't mean you should do it. Doing stupid things on a motorcycle can get bad real quick.

Also, to hit a curb without involvement by another vehicle? And to be launched with such force to take down a pole tells me at least speed was a factor.

Yes, we are victims of a drunk or careless cage driver all too often, but many M/C crashes are also due to the motorcyclist being drunk. I choose to lower the odds by riding sober, wearing protective HI-Viz gear, installing driving lights, and generally not doing dumb things while riding.
What I meant was what I said. It's not prohibited by law I.E. it's not illegal. That doesn't make is smart or safe, just not illegal and I don't do nor do I condone the action, but it goes on A LOT out here.
California motorcyclists take lane splitting/sharing VERY seriously because it is allowed here and so many cagers either don't know that, don't AGREE with that, or feel that it is their right to stop it in any way they can. I have been CHASED by a cager because I spit to the front at a stop light and he didn't like it. He was actually trying to HIT me and I just got the heck outta there with extreme prejudice to save my hide and he was weaving in and out of rush hour traffic to try and keep up with me....scared the BLEEP outta me.
 
Put a few ball bearings in a section of your tank bag and toss a couple over your shoulder behind you when that cager is on your tail, but then be prepared to get the hell outta there!
 
I try not to think about it but be very aware of whats going on around me.:idea: If I worry to much about riding, I probley wouldn't ride.:(
 
Had a rider wreck just up the road from my house Sunday, too much speed and missed the corner. Lifeflighted to the hospital and in critical condition. Today a drunk couple riding around town 2 up, no protective gear, ran into a parked truck. One dead, one serious condition.

Don't speed
Don't ride aggressively
Don't drink or dope before riding
Don't demand your rights from the seat of a motorcycle
Pay attention and remember that everyone wants to run over you.

I've logged the majority of my riding in suburban traffic. Every intersection, every corner, every driveway is a possible danger. Enjoy your ride but respect every vehicle and never be lackadaisical in your attention. If I am not feeling at the top of my game that day, I park the bike and take my car or pickup.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Wow two people died this week in my town on motorcycles. Check it out. One died Friday on the freeway lane splitting between a semi and a civic he was knock off the bike and under the semi... Ouch!!!

Last night a solo rider hit a curb was ejects and knocked down a light pole!!! Died later at the hospital.

I'm being extra cautious lately. This is unusual to have this many accidents in 3 days.

My Fiance and Family are all super worried about me riding now. I assure them I am safe but this is getting annoying we all understand the dangers of riding and do out best to be safe.

Story tree grows at Soboba Preschool

Story tree grows at Soboba Preschool
A very senior EMT spent a couple of days at the Chapman School training us on CPR, first aid, etc. He'd been working "death" for decades. His take: when its your day, its your day, and when its not, it's not. He's seen guys walk away from situations that absolutely should have been fatal, and others die against all logic. IMO, short of suicidal activities (like throwing ball bearings at cagers) you should do what you like and not worry about what happens to other people. If God wants you dead, it's not going to matter if you're on a bike or in a cage.
 
gossman_imp said:
Had a rider wreck just up the road from my house Sunday, too much speed and missed the corner. Lifeflighted to the hospital and in critical condition. Today a drunk couple riding around town 2 up, no protective gear, ran into a parked truck. One dead, one serious condition.

Don't speed
Don't ride aggressively
Don't drink or dope before riding
Don't demand your rights from the seat of a motorcycle
Pay attention and remember that everyone wants to run over you.

I've logged the majority of my riding in suburban traffic. Every intersection, every corner, every driveway is a possible danger. Enjoy your ride but respect every vehicle and never be lackadaisical in your attention. If I am not feeling at the top of my game that day, I park the bike and take my car or pickup.
Very well said, never ride unless your 100% up for the challenge, its a jungle out there.
 
Thread starter
Well my bike is my car hahaha But i always scan every intersection, every drive way, at a stop light I keep it in first and watch who's coming up on my butt. I just assume people will pull out in front of me, rear end me or merge into me and I plan an escape route in my head. At stop lights i try to stay between cars so no one rear ends me too. I love riding, I am never more focused on my driving than when I am on a bike. I think I drive worse in a car because of all the distractions. I just think motorcycles are becoming more and more popular and people are driving more reckless because that's what pop culture is making riding out to be. Fully decked out harley's and MC riders pulling wheelies and burning out at every stop light.
 
Bikes are often way faster than the brain of the rider. Look at youtube. Tons of people exceeding their skills, speeding thru or into traffic. At rush hour we have to wear high viz. People don't see us wearing black or dark colors and they sure don't see us at 20 over the speed limit or more!
 
And if you don't have to ride in the wee dark hours, don't. My dad used to say nothing good ever happens after midnight. With regard to driving or riding, I have to agree.
 
Back
Top