Parts fail

Thanks, Frank. You're right, of course. However, those who see that control coming and allow it to happen, must be happy to accept the consequences.
 
You're spot-on, Cormanus. We have a situation here in the UK with regards to chemists (drug stores?). On-line businesses are desperately trying to lure patients who have repeat prescriptions, so that medication is delivered by post, straight to their door. But the superficial appeal of this (not having to go out to fetch meds) is far outweighed by the resulting loss of local chemists when they go bankrupt. Who do you go to locally for 'ordinary' products and advice?

The same applies to small, local dealerships, now almost extinct here in the UK.
 
Don’t these brick and mortar shops have telephones? If they can order the part and you want to support them, but you don’t want to waste a trip, phone first.
 
Bazbro, my prescription drug benefits are paid by my U.S. employer. For recurring medications, it is required that I order generic and use the mail order service (90 day supply), otherwise they won't pay for the prescription. It's actually very convenient. We've had this model in the U.S. for many years. For one-time prescriptions, we can use our local pharmacy.
 
Thanks, LR.
Our meds here in the UK are completely free for everyone (if you're over 60, disabled, young person, on benefits/welfare, etc. - :) ) but my point is that our pharmacies get paid by the government (NHS) for dispensing these prescriptions. If that is taken away from them, many will not be able to remain in business. Then there will be NO local pharmacy to get other meds from!
So support your local business (providing they're not ripping you off!) or lose 'em.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks, LR.
Our meds here in the UK are completely free for everyone (if you're over 60, disabled, young person, on benefits/welfare, etc. - :) ) but my point is that our pharmacies get paid by the government (NHS) for dispensing these prescriptions. If that is taken away from them, many will not be able to remain in business. Then there will be NO local pharmacy to get other meds from!
So support your local business (providing they're not ripping you off!) or lose 'em.
+1^^
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks, LR.
Our meds here in the UK are completely free for everyone (if you're over 60, disabled, young person, on benefits/welfare, etc. - :) ) but my point is that our pharmacies get paid by the government (NHS) for dispensing these prescriptions. If that is taken away from them, many will not be able to remain in business. Then there will be NO local pharmacy to get other meds from!
So support your local business (providing they're not ripping you off!) or lose 'em.
+1^^
+1^^ + two !!
 
Olyrider_imp said:
My Dodge diesel truck needs new tie rods. The repair shop quoted $189 for the part. I knew they were sourcing it at the local auto parts store. They called while I was standing there.

The local store would sell them to me for $125.

The identical Moog Part is for sale on Amazon Prime for $60. And it is “in stock”.

So...do I “support” my local repair shop by paying them $380 for the parts I can install myself, or buy them from Amazon for $120?

Gee, let me think about that...
There is also another factor: sometimes, the same shop has different price for online and on-site.

If you are at their shop, you have already choosen them, so they will charge their cost plus their standard margin. When you are searching online, that marging has to compete with every other online-shop in the world, so price is usually quite less.

Go and check the price of a courier to send a parcel from a "DHL" shop, and then go online and check their price in a "courier compare" site: you will find huge differences!
 
Thread starter
I shopped for the brake pads on-line, and it was not a smooth experience. "These pads may not fit your motorcycle" seemed to pop up a lot. I ended up going back to Del Amo MS and ordering parts. At least this way if they're not the right ones, I can return them without too much hassle.
My Aprilia I sold was a Shiver. An OK bike, but I wouldn't buy another one.
 
Thread starter
So I buy the pads, pay for them up front. No word for some days. I call them, "where's my pads?" They have to check, will call back. Two hours later, still no call back, i call them again. Explain myself all over again, this guy will check. On hold for a while, he finally comes back. Oh, sorry, your stuff was sent to the wrong store. Our truck will bring them to the local store, but not until next week. It's a wonder these guys can stay in bizness! All this for a consumable part you'd think they would keep in stock.
 
Thread starter
Next chapter. Get a call from the dealer this Tuesday morning. Someone dropped the ball, missed the truck, went to sleep at the wheel, something, but my parts were not there today. Maybe tomorrow, cross your fingers. Tomorrow is ride to work day for me, so I will swing by on way home to pick them up, hopefully.
 
Thread starter
Next chapter. I stop by the dealer to get my brake pads. The guy apologizes all over himself for the f*ck up. No sweat, I say, sh!t happens. He puts the little bags on the counter and is doing something on his computer. I pick up the bags. Those are the rears, he says. OK. I pick up the other bag. I don't want to open it, but I'm working it around in my hand and can tell, there's only two pads in here. Where's the other pads, I ask the guy. What other pads? Dude, I said, Honda CB1100, dual discs in the front! Four pads! Oh, he says, I'm sorry! I didn't realize you wanted two sets. Man, I said, who changes only one set of pads?!?! I had assumed there were four pads when I paid, since the front pads were 80 bucks, and the rear was 55 bucks. You know about assume, right? I was so mad I cancelled the order. Back to square one.
 
Man, that is just p poor service. Dont know that I would bother giving them a second chance.
 
Order them on-line. Is a fair amount cheaper.
 
Thread starter
Update: Back to HB Honda. I was just going to order the pads, but, lo and behold, they have them in stock! Too bitchin'! Of course, they're OEM. $$$$$. OK, give 'em to me. I take them in hand, and leave. Now I just have to put them on. This is where I wish I had a lift. I could ride out to my BIL's house. He has a lift, and pretty much every tool known to mankind, and knows how to use them, too. Maybe I'll do that. I don't like to work on the floor, but we'll see.
 
I just ordered oem F&R pads today (forgot to replenish my stock after last time I changed them). Will see how long it takes for them to get here.
 
I was very impressed with how simple and easy it was to pull the calipers and change the pads on my CB. No hassle whatsoever. The manufacturer of my German bikes (Italian brakes) should take notice.
 
Back
Top