Parts fail

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Here's a rant. Wishing to support my local brick and mortar store, I went into a local Honda dealership, one of the largest in SoCal, on Beach Blvd in HB, to get a set of brake pads, front and rear. The parts guy said they only have the front, no rears. The rear is what I really want. They can order it, he said, but that would be another trip. I left. A few days later, I went into another shop, Del Amo MS on Cherry in LB. The had one side of the front, they can order the rest, etc. I see why riders buy online.
 
My 40 year old son knows that. Me, I still walk into the store for the dissapointment of finding out I'm not going home with what I came for. Of course I keep a spares box in the garage with new oil filters, brake pads, spark plugs and air cleaners for my bikes knowing I will need them sooner or later and have them on hand when I do, so I am only dissapointed the first time and order everything I think I'll need in the future.
 
CharlieBravo, I’ve been in both those dealerships, now my nearest Honda dealer is in Redlands, 70 miles away......most of the parts I’ve bought have come from SAMURIDER
 
Most dealers these days only stock fast moving service parts.
Dealer can order parts from Honda and get them in one to two days.
The internet has made a trip to the deal as obsolete as rotary dial telephones.
Why wast time driving to a dealer only to find they don't stock anything.

As for the dealer business model; the mega dealers dominate the landscape.
Going to a mega dealer is like shopping at Walmart.
The days of the single model line family wonder dealer is gone for ever.
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Here's a rant. Wishing to support my local brick and mortar store, I went into a local Honda dealership, one of the largest in SoCal, on Beach Blvd in HB, to get a set of brake pads, front and rear. The parts guy said they only have the front, no rears. The rear is what I really want. They can order it, he said, but that would be another trip. I left. A few days later, I went into another shop, Del Amo MS on Cherry in LB. The had one side of the front, they can order the rest, etc. I see why riders buy online.
I find it odd that they had front pads for your CB1100 and not rears.
The rear pads used on the CB1100 are common to a hundred other Honda models.
Go figure.
 
HB Honda used to have prices quite a bit cheaper if you ordered them on their website than if you bought over the counter, and you could will call to pick them up to avoid shipping. A great deal when I owned three Hondas, and I took full advantage of that policy. Guess they figured out they were undercutting their own counter sales. After I bought the CB and tried to order some spares, I learned that they no longer allow will call pickup for online orders.

Still, they’re online pricing is pretty good, and if you’re close, shipping may not be too expensive. Might be worth a look.
 
TINK_imp said:
Most dealers these days only stock fast moving service parts.
Dealer can order parts from Honda and get them in one to two days.
The internet has made a trip to the deal as obsolete as rotary dial telephones.
Why wast time driving to a dealer only to find they don't stock anything.

As for the dealer business model; the mega dealers dominate the landscape.
Going to a mega dealer is like shopping at Walmart.
The days of the single model line family wonder dealer is gone for ever.
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Here's a rant. Wishing to support my local brick and mortar store, I went into a local Honda dealership, one of the largest in SoCal, on Beach Blvd in HB, to get a set of brake pads, front and rear. The parts guy said they only have the front, no rears. The rear is what I really want. They can order it, he said, but that would be another trip. I left. A few days later, I went into another shop, Del Amo MS on Cherry in LB. The had one side of the front, they can order the rest, etc. I see why riders buy online.
I find it odd that they had front pads for your CB1100 and not rears.
The rear pads used on the CB1100 are common to a hundred other Honda models.
Go figure.
And there's the rub. If you're the dealer, why stock anything when most people will order online and you'll end up with a large inventory you've had to pay for and can't shift?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Most dealers these days only stock fast moving service parts.
Dealer can order parts from Honda and get them in one to two days.
The internet has made a trip to the deal as obsolete as rotary dial telephones.
Why wast time driving to a dealer only to find they don't stock anything.

As for the dealer business model; the mega dealers dominate the landscape.
Going to a mega dealer is like shopping at Walmart.
The days of the single model line family wonder dealer is gone for ever.
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Here's a rant. Wishing to support my local brick and mortar store, I went into a local Honda dealership, one of the largest in SoCal, on Beach Blvd in HB, to get a set of brake pads, front and rear. The parts guy said they only have the front, no rears. The rear is what I really want. They can order it, he said, but that would be another trip. I left. A few days later, I went into another shop, Del Amo MS on Cherry in LB. The had one side of the front, they can order the rest, etc. I see why riders buy online.
I find it odd that they had front pads for your CB1100 and not rears.
The rear pads used on the CB1100 are common to a hundred other Honda models.
Go figure.
And there's the rub. If you're the dealer, why stock anything when most people will order online and you'll end up with a large inventory you've had to pay for and can't shift?
And there's the rub. If you're the dealer, why stock anything when most people will order online and you'll end up with a large inventory you've had to pay for and can't shift?
And that is totally correct if you are running a business. I suppose the global online supply chain (the internet?) has to fail before local warehousing increases - but I suspect the item costs will too.
 
My local Honda dealer is one of those rare small dealerships who sell more second-hand 'bikes of all makes, than new Hondas. I'm not sure how much longer he can remain a solus Honda dealer. Extremely sad if he does lose the franchise.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
My local Honda dealer is one of those rare small dealerships who sell more second-hand 'bikes of all makes, than new Hondas. I'm not sure how much longer he can remain a solus Honda dealer. Extremely sad if he does lose the franchise.
Sounds like a sweet place to visit. Maybe survival will also rely on who will pick-up the business when the owner "gets tired".
 
Yes, he's a youngish guy, GO (but EVERYBODY'S "youngish" at my age!!) and it's very pleasant to wander in, spend a half hour or so just chatting about "bikes", maybe buy something then wander out. Much better than the big places where the salesman is all over you, knows all about "the motorcycle", but nothing about "motorcycling". I can't wait to get out of those places - despite fitting a coffee machine they just can't chat - no time or no knowledge.
 
Thread starter
Great responses! It's a changing world for sure. Good news, though; I sold my Aprilia 750. Kind of sad to see it go, it's a sweet ride, but it had to go. Down to two bikes now, the Honda and the BMW R1100RT. Trying to do a little touring, but still workin' for the man every night and every day.
 
About 15 years ago, my local shop set out a table of doughnuts every Saturday morning. This went on for a couple of years. A bunch of us old regulars would meet there, chat about motorcycling, look at new models etc and eat a doughnut or two before going out for a ride. The owners wife didn't like it that there was a crowd of guys hanging around every weekend not immediately buying something and made the owner stop the practice. It no longer became a "hang out" and Saturday mornings are just like Tuesdays mornings there now. No reason to go in unless you need something.
 
My Dodge diesel truck needs new tie rods. The repair shop quoted $189 for the part. I knew they were sourcing it at the local auto parts store. They called while I was standing there.

The local store would sell them to me for $125.

The identical Moog Part is for sale on Amazon Prime for $60. And it is “in stock”.

So...do I “support” my local repair shop by paying them $380 for the parts I can install myself, or buy them from Amazon for $120?

Gee, let me think about that...
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Great responses! It's a changing world for sure. Good news, though; I sold my Aprilia 750. Kind of sad to see it go, it's a sweet ride, but it had to go. Down to two bikes now, the Honda and the BMW R1100RT. Trying to do a little touring, but still workin' for the man every night and every day.
Aprilia - Shiver or Dorsoduro? Either way, I understand bro.
 
No need to support your local shop if they're unwilling or unable to be price competitive.

I've been buying motorcycle accessories online from Europe. Better deals than our U.S. counterparts.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
My Dodge diesel truck needs new tie rods. The repair shop quoted $189 for the part. I knew they were sourcing it at the local auto parts store. They called while I was standing there.

The local store would sell them to me for $125.

The identical Moog Part is for sale on Amazon Prime for $60. And it is “in stock”.

So...do I “support” my local repair shop by paying them $380 for the parts I can install myself, or buy them from Amazon for $120?

Gee, let me think about that...
A close friend of mine owns a Honda Civic.
A rear control arm came apart and the OEM replacement at the dealership was $150.00 for a pair. May as well replace both since one failed.
He went online and found OEM parts for $90.00 with free shipping.
As much as you want to support local business, but when push comes to shove...……..
 
The online places are in the business of putting others out of business. I read yesterday that many of them—for example, Uber and Netflix and, for some time, Amazon—run at a considerable loss and hope like hell they can dominate the market before they go under. Once they do and push the competition out of the way, up will go the prices, quite likely into the stratosphere. Fair enough; that's capitalism at work.

However, the dilemma facing us all when we are driven by price is that we'll help push the local suppliers out of business and we will be able to get parts and assistance only online. Ultimately it will end up costing us more and it will be very hard to get help from someone who actually knows what they are doing rather than just reciting the pre-prepared script.
 
Back
Top