Paint Chip Aaaahhhhhh

bigsheep_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I couldn’t tell you when it happened, but I noticed a big paint chip on the tank just behind the forks the other day.

I’m thinking about getting it repaired but I’m also thinking it could be a good time to go custom paint on the tank. Won’t do anything until I have prices, but was wondering what you guys thought/suggested.
I was thinking this with white side covers.

https://hondamotorcyclestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Vintage-Honda-Motorcycles-for-Sale.jpg

Maybe an homage to the tricolour?

https://i0.wp.com/www.bike-urious.com/wp...C648&ssl=1

Or keep the side covers silver and pay homage to the early 80’s cb900?

[url=https://japan.webike.net/moto_news/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/87518beeb0e04a11ddd111e7ed2d78e3-1-1024x576.jpg]https://japan.webike.net/moto_news/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/87518beeb0e04a11ddd111e7ed2d78e3-1-1024x576.jpg
 
For sentimental reasons, I like the first option.
 
I suppose it really depends what is resonating with you at the moment of decisive action. If the bike is a beloved utility, chalk it up as a patched battle wound. No one would think less ... I think. Save those [recession] dollars for something else that is tantalizing.

Otherwise ...

Wooooo, this brings back some memories ...



Beware: The stone chip remodeling could lead to a total cosmetic overhaul. :)
 
Stone chips are gonna happen. The first one is the most painful. If you do a high-dollar fix, then the next one will really spin your crank. I have the same philosophy as with my car, whatever I can do myself to mitigate the problem will be enough. I recently bought a used car, an '05 Honda Accord Coupe V6, in red. It had several stone chips and scratches, but not so bad for a car of its age. I used a well-matched nail polish to fill in the chips and scratches, and from five feet away, it looks great!
 
Agreed.

I certainly hope we as society are not at the point where a stone chip results in something else landing in the landfill. If we are, one can only hope we are at the bottom of consumerism wasteland and things only get more responsible from here. BTW: I noticed in many places drink straws are absent.
 
I’m with you both, Charlie Bravo and Gold Oxide. It’s hard to see how you can ride a motorcycle on the road and avoid stone chips. I recently patched some and wouldn’t have bothered except to protect the tank from rust.
 
it's called Patina and it's highly respected (at my house lol)
 
Thread starter
I would hardly put pondering whether it is better to repair a paint chip or repaint the whole tank in the same category of disposable culture as coffee pods, air pods and the like. Nothing is going to the landfill, I’m actually at the first stage of the three R’s Reuse! I took very good care of my CB for 70,000 km. It has been thoroughly used and enjoyed and it ready for many more miles. it has more miles than many of the bikes of the era it is an homage to. I’m meeting with a friend of a friend to talk it over, we’ll see how we proceed. The chip is dime size and right to the metal.
 
Sounds quite like the meaningful hit, but no dent, correct?

As of this writing poll indicated no majority, but we are told more than a few times to not believe in the polls.
 
Dime size it a pretty good sized chip. Even I might have to do something about a chip that large. Bandaid maybe? Lol
 
To me, the size of the chip, the fact that it is down to the metal, age of the bike, and mileage would all be determining factors, if it was my bike. Trying to use touch up on a chip that large, and make it look decent would probably be difficult to accomplish. Given it is down to metal, it does need to be sealed to prevent rust. Given it is a well used and loved machine, I dont think I would invest in a custom paint job, UNLESS it had always been an eventual goal.

Here is what I would do in this situation, and something I have done from time to time in the past with various vehicles I have owned: Most car dealerships use independent mobile paint and vinyl repair services to cherry out trade in cars they intend to keep on their used car lots for sale. So, what I have done is to get a small amount of factory paint, and have one of these services apply it. Just ask car dealers in your area who they use and how to make contact. It may be a 2 appointment process, the first To apply paint, the second to apply clear coat after the paint has cured. These guys use air brushes, so the application is confined to a very small area and well controlled. The air brushes also apply the paint more smoothly than full size paint shop guns, so orange peel is not an issue. The cost compared to other options is very reasonable. You might want to wipe down the chip with alcohol and dab some clear silicone on it to prevent rust until you decide what you want to do. The silicone band aid will peel/roll off easily when you are ready.

These mobile guys also do vinyl repair and dye. I have watched them work, and it is amazing. They can repair a cut or tear in a vinyl seat cover, dye the repair the same color as the seat, and match the texture of the original vinyl. If anyone gets a tear or cut to their bikes seat, investigate one of these services before replacing the seat cover.

Whether it is a car or motorcycle chips are gonna happen, and I think it is okay to find a balance between utility and appearance when it comes to situations like this.
 
I've mentioned in other posts that I'm an OCD weirdo with stuff like this, and once I get a bike, I make patterns for the front of the tank and fork legs for clear plastic film to protect the areas prone to chips. I also have clear bras on both my wife's car and mine.

Whether you repaint or touch up, I'd suggest doing this. You seem like me - a stone chip is cause for a lot of thinking about what to do. I have touched up chips with good results, and I've also had a bike repainted based on a single dent that couldn't be repaired through paintless dent removal. Both made me happy - where I could mitigate the visual impact of a chip, or repaint, I had a perfect looking bike once again, and in the case of the repaint, also something that now looked a little different than everything else in that model.

Good luck with your decision, but I'd recommend taking preventive measures to prevent it again once you decide, or you'll be in the same position the next time your paint is damaged.
 
Can you send a couple pictures to see what this really looks like? Hard to comment without knowing what we're talking about.
 
Have two chips in mine. 1st one after 1000 miles was kind of where belt buckle would touch. 2nd one at about 30k is on front of tank just a inch from the 3M film that protects the front portions of the gas tank. I have been thinking new color schemes since I got the first chip :)
 
bflint_imp said:
Have two chips in mine. 1st one after 1000 miles was kind of where belt buckle would touch. 2nd one at about 30k is on front of tank just a inch from the 3M film that protects the front portions of the gas tank. I have been thinking new color schemes since I got the first chip :)
... or just let the CB go Mad Max, or should I say like Darryl's bike (Walking Dead). You get the idea. As long as it works, doesn't leak and just plain satisfies.
 
Funny you mention that, Gold. There's a guy on the Triumph forum who had a damaged tank on a Scrambler. Just to see what it looked like, he painted the tank and fenders with a greenish matte finish house paint, just to get a different look temporarily until he decided to have everything repainted. He ended up growing to like it and so far seems like he's decided to leave it.
 
Thread starter
I found a guy who's given me some very reasonable quotes. If I supply the touch up paint and the tank is off the bike he can repair the chip for $70. A total paintjob would start around $200. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to see some of his work and finalize prices. An older English guy, recommended from a local facebook group, hopefully he's the guy.
 
Back
Top