P-40 and CB1100

DGShannon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Out and about yesterday and stumbled across this Curtiss P-40 Warhawk done up in AVG markings, and signed by Tex Hill, before his death.

 
That is so cool. I' d love to have a pic of mine with a P51.
 
DGS,

That is an amazing shot. The P-40 is a lot rarer than the P-51 today. Only about 30 to 35 P-40's of all variants are flyable in the world today. About 20 of those are in the U.S.

Chip
 
I think most of us are fans of the old war birds, that's why we love vintage style bikes. Great photo by the way, love that P-40 and the AVG colors. I love all of them but my favorite is the Spit Fire and the P-38 Lightning. The Confederate Air Force used to put on a great show every year of WWII aircraft at Tico airport in Florida.
 
Great shot, DGS, although given the decals just forward of the cockpit you may have been lucky it didn't turn on your bike.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Great shot, DGS, although given the decals just forward of the cockpit you may have been lucky it didn't turn on your bike.
Probably safe on a Honda. Kawasaki, on the other hand, was a major manufacturer of WWII aircraft.
 
I think Honda made piston rings for the Japanese military during WW2 ( I thought I read for Zero's engines?). I know the Honda plant was destroyed twice by allied bombers.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
I think most of us are fans of the old war birds, that's why we love vintage style bikes. Great photo by the way, love that P-40 and the AVG colors. I love all of them but my favorite is the Spit Fire and the P-38 Lightning. The Confederate Air Force used to put on a great show every year of WWII aircraft at Tico airport in Florida.
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
 
DGShannon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I think most of us are fans of the old war birds, that's why we love vintage style bikes. Great photo by the way, love that P-40 and the AVG colors. I love all of them but my favorite is the Spit Fire and the P-38 Lightning. The Confederate Air Force used to put on a great show every year of WWII aircraft at Tico airport in Florida.
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
The CAF is a fantastic organization.
I enjoyed hearing about your experiences there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
DGShannon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I think most of us are fans of the old war birds, that's why we love vintage style bikes. Great photo by the way, love that P-40 and the AVG colors. I love all of them but my favorite is the Spit Fire and the P-38 Lightning. The Confederate Air Force used to put on a great show every year of WWII aircraft at Tico airport in Florida.
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
That must have been a memorable experience. Having a flight in the "Flying Fortress" would make one appreciate the valor of the crews that flew into the walls of flak, Messerschmitts, and Fockers and all the while battling fatigue and cold. My neighbor, recently deceased, was a belly gunner on a B17. He told me he was among the "lucky" crews that had fighter escorts on their missions.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I think most of us are fans of the old war birds, that's why we love vintage style bikes. Great photo by the way, love that P-40 and the AVG colors. I love all of them but my favorite is the Spit Fire and the P-38 Lightning. The Confederate Air Force used to put on a great show every year of WWII aircraft at Tico airport in Florida.
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
I was a member of the CAF for a few years. Our wing maintained and flew the B17 named "Texas Raider". I was fortunate enough to have 3 flights in it, and spend untold hours working on it. In Houston, the big CAF airshow is "Wings Over Houston". Some of the best experiences I have had were after hours at that airshow. Another wing, in the Houston area, maintains the planes left over from the Tora, Tora, Tora movie. AT6 Texans done up like Zeros, Kates, and Zekes. One evening after the airshow, we flew the B17 out over Galveston bay, with the Japanese, a P-51 & P-47 in tow. Nothing quite like sticking your head out of the top of a B17 and watching Zeros chase you! Over the crowds on the shore below, they were turning on smoke and rolling out as if they had been chased by the fighters and shot down by the B17.

Guess you just had to be there! :P
That must have been a memorable experience. Having a flight in the "Flying Fortress" would make one appreciate the valor of the crews that flew into the walls of flak, Messerschmitts, and Fockers and all the while battling fatigue and cold. My neighbor, recently deceased, was a belly gunner on a B17. He told me he was among the "lucky" crews that had fighter escorts on their missions.
I tried my best to squeeze into the ball turret one day. I am 6' 2" and it was hopeless. I have extra respect for the guys that got that position. Sealed up totally alone in there. Tail gunner next. You have to get down on your belly and wiggle past the tail wheel mechanicals to get back there. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry to get out of either of those two spots.

I absolutely treasured the time I got to spend with the WWII vets that were involved in the CAF. Their stories were great. Odd situation as they still had a love, and passion, for the planes themselves intermixed with the pain and memories of the war. They were always thrilled that another generation cared enough to preserve the legacy.
 
The tools of freedom! Nothing greater than to have served and made a contribution to making a difference.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top