other bike

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking of selling the CB, and the BMW. Going to look at a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 later today. Hankering for one do-it-all bike, and I want to move only one bike to TX. On advice from a forum member, I'd thought about taking the Honda, and then doing whatever was necessary in TX, but just looking is OK, right?
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Well, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking of selling the CB, and the BMW. Going to look at a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 later today. Hankering for one do-it-all bike, and I want to move only one bike to TX. On advice from a forum member, I'd thought about taking the Honda, and then doing whatever was necessary in TX, but just looking is OK, right?
I walked into DFW Honda to do just that--look. I rode home on a CB1100. I absolutely cannot go into a Guzzi dealership to "just look." ;)
 
Well, pretty loaded question indeed.

We all know "just looking" typically results in "just looking for my trade-in ownership slip".
 
Nothing wrong with that at all. Experienced some interesting bikes over the last 14 years asking the question "wonder what that's like to ride".
 
It's an awesome bike. You won't g wrong, whatever you decide.
Where you going in the Great State of Texas?
 
Well in my experience going to look is akin to going to see if I can make a deal

My suggestion is to wait and look at the 2020 9 GT. A whole host of improvements over the 2015 FJ09, better suspension, cruise etc.

For what it's worth, my son had a 2015 FJ 09 that he bought because of all the hype when they first came out. Put factory bags and trunk on it. Kept it a year. Put 13 000 miles on it and traded it in on an MT-10. He thought it was an ok bike, but didnt live up to the hype and didnt thrill him like he thought it would.
 
Hi Charlie Bravo: I bought a Yamaha FJ-09 in 2015 and sold it this summer. I put about 7000 miles on the bike It was a good all around bike, but had it's issues. The engine at idle, made a very odd wheezy, sound. When riding, the engine would whine in certain gears. Overall, just a very noisy engine. The 2015 models had a snappy throttle which needed after- market ECU reflashing. Earlier this year, I moved on to a 2014 BMW1200 GS. The BMW is much more refined and comfortable to ride, though more expensive. If you want a smaller bike, look at the GS 700 or GS 800. They are great bikes for the money.
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
It's an awesome bike. You won't g wrong, whatever you decide.
Where you going in the Great State of Texas?
Near Ft. Worth. Family there.
I looked at the bike, rode it a bit. It had 50k miles on it, and had suffered some lack of chain and sprocket maintenance issues, resulting in over $2k in repairs. All the receipts were there, but I didn't like the ugly riveted windshield that looked like a piece of aluminum that seemed to be cobbled up and mounted, nor the clunky topbox mounting bracket. It's very tall but seemed to handle OK, but without some twisties it's hard to tell. All those repairs made me leery. I passed. Going to look at another one on Sat that has had the reflash. Hoping to get a longer test ride.
 
My first question would be why would chain and sprockets result in $2k in repair. I replaced the chain and sprockets and rubber dampers on my CB with expensive OEM stuff and including shop labor it was only $400.
 
Don't tell my CB1100, but once in a while the idea of a KTM Duke 1290 GT crosses my mind. It's amazing, if it just wasn't so ugly...
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
My first question would be why would chain and sprockets result in $2k in repair. I replaced the chain and sprockets and rubber dampers on my CB with expensive OEM stuff and including shop labor it was only $400.
The drive sprocket spun on it's shaft. The engine and tranny had to come out of the frame and there was a lot of internal damage to the tranny.
 
Just got this email from my Honda dealer:

Just Released: 2021 Honda CMX1100 Rebel

Close your eyes and imagine you have a Honda Africa Twin. Now, strip away everything about the bike that makes it one of the most potent adventure-touring models on the market, and start adding back the design elements found in the metric cruiser thing. Open your eyes.

What you just built in your head is the 2021 Honda Rebel 1100, and as you might be able to decipher from its name, the Rebel-styled full-sized cruiser features a parallel-twin engine that shares more than a few chromosomes with the 1,084cc motor found in the CRF1000L.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bi...mp;utm_term=0_72e2a1a4fa-b8c1014743-356981933
...........
https://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/cruiser/rebel_1100

GO, sorry but is time to switch again :)
 
PB: Where have you been? :huh:

This has been covered:

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16230&pid=281283#pid281283]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16230&pid=281283#pid281283


= = =

Nevertheless, the Rebel CMX1100 should definitely be lighter than the CRF1100. The CRF-class are beasts.

I like the CMX1100, but like the CB1100, I feel I would die of cramping in less than 60 minutes. I think the CMX1100 should do well. It may have much going for it and it will accelerate like stink. You'll be chasing its wake for sure.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
PB: Where have you been? :huh:

This has been covered:

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16230&pid=281283#pid281283]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16230&pid=281283#pid281283


= = =

Nevertheless, the Rebel CMX1100 should definitely be lighter than the CRF1100. The CRF-class are beasts.

I like the CMX1100, but like the CB1100, I feel I would die of cramping in less than 60 minutes. I think the CMX1100 should do well. It may have much going for it and it will accelerate like stink. You'll be chasing its wake for sure.
Yeah, I know but forum's search engine did not find it...just wanted to add some info :sleepy:
 
Back
Top