Original Ad Copy for the CB 750

The Spaceman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
If you followed the link to check out the prototype Honda CB 750 for sale on EBay, you may have noticed there's some really cool supporting documentation. Below is the copy from the original Honda ad for the CB, before the bikes had shipped. I love that era's advertising, especially for cars and bikes. It had a "macho" flavor to it that you don't see these days. Good stuff!

This is the one you knew Honda could produce. And would produce. Because only Honda had the technical skill to make it. This is the big one, Jack. The Honda 750 Four.

A four cylinder single overhead cam engine, transversely mounted in a slick double-cradle frame. Four carbs. And four chrome pipes - one for each cylinder - individually tuned to fever pitch. Like when you cover a standing quarter in 12.6 sec.

Honda shelled out plenty in research and development. You better believe it.

This baby was born in Grand Prix competition. And raised in the Honda heritage of power and precision. Delivers 68 hp at 8500 rpm. Hits 125 mph sans coaxing. The transmission is five speed constant mesh. An engineering marvel.

Among the new features: no fade, hydraulic front disk brake. Four upswept megaphone style mufflers. Oil pressure light is housed in the tachometer. New color styles.

Your Honda dealer will have it soon. The Honda 750 Four. When you twist the throttle, remember one thing: You asked for it.
 
I missed the link. Do you still have it?

1969 CB750 - Hits 125 mph sans coaxing.

2013 CB1100 - Hits 112 mph then stumbles.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Amazing! Bid is up to $130,300. Bike should be in a motorcycle museum. Thanks for a fascinating link!
in the ad it says "get a free insurance quote from geico"...wonder what the premium would be ? :)
 
Spaceman - Me, too. I love the wording and tone of ads for sporting/performance cars and bikes from this era. So cool.

Delphisa - Thanks for posting those ads. I think the engineers and designers spent a lot of time on 4-cyl headers and 4-1 headers in particular. They really shout that this is 4-cylinder - make no mistake about it. When they do a 4-1, they really get to show off with the routing of the pipes, either all in a row like these in the ad and the prototype CB11, or twisted snakes, like so many race cars of the era.

The photographers and the ad designers seem to get this, too... they never miss a chance to show off the pipes and the engine. In fact, I think it was a leaned-over photo showing off the pipes that first got me hooked on the CB1100. Good stuff!
 
Rolls_imp said:
Spaceman - Me, too. I love the wording and tone of ads for sporting/performance cars and bikes from this era. So cool.

Delphisa - Thanks for posting those ads. I think the engineers and designers spent a lot of time on 4-cyl headers and 4-1 headers in particular. They really shout that this is 4-cylinder - make no mistake about it. When they do a 4-1, they really get to show off with the routing of the pipes, either all in a row like these in the ad and the prototype CB11, or twisted snakes, like so many race cars of the era.

The photographers and the ad designers seem to get this, too... they never miss a chance to show off the pipes and the engine. In fact, I think it was a leaned-over photo showing off the pipes that first got me hooked on the CB1100. Good stuff!
Nice avatar!
 
Here's my favorite...

fb08d7f48bd76bdbdf49d3c66e34412c.jpg
 
Thread starter
A reference to a porn movie and "Go all the way" for a tagline. Nope, you don't get ads like that anymore.

How about that drum brake lever sticking out of the right side? I wonder what year they went to a disk brake out back?
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
A reference to a porn movie and "Go all the way" for a tagline. Nope, you don't get ads like that anymore.

How about that drum brake lever sticking out of the right side? I wonder what year they went to a disk brake out back?
Boy, you got that right. The politically correct police would eat them alive. I have never seen that add. I like it because it defines Honda (with the 4 pipes) as being something different from the typical HD/Triumph of the day and doing it their way. Its a genius in marking because it identified the brand with a glance at a red light.
 
Great old ads everybody! Here's my contribution...a magazine ad for the CB500 four. From I've read about the history, Honda originally marketed the first 500's towards the muture rider seeking a comparatively more tame and manageable machine. The ad's smoothness theme really reflects this. Enjoy!

 
I so wanted one of the CB500 fours. My mate had one. His sister used to call him Smooth.
 
Rolls, the ad is definitely of U.S. origin

Cormanus_imp said:
I so wanted one of the CB500 fours. My mate had one. His sister used to call him Smooth.
I do really enjoy my old 500 and yes, even for a now 41 year old motorcycle, she really is a smooth runnng machine as advertised :thumbsup:
 
RetroKitch_imp said:
Rolls, the ad is definitely of U.S. origin

Cormanus_imp said:
I so wanted one of the CB500 fours. My mate had one. His sister used to call him Smooth.
I do really enjoy my old 500 and yes, even for a now 41 year old motorcycle, she really is a smooth runnng machine as advertised :thumbsup:
I do really enjoy my old 500 and yes, even for a now 41 year old motorcycle, she really is a smooth runnng machine as advertised :thumbsup:
That's amazing really. Lucky bloke! Enjoy. :thumbs up:
 
Back
Top