Oregon outing...Maupin

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Had a relatively free day, so I decided to go for a ride east from Gresham. General plan was to take I-84 east towards The Dalles, and then head south on 197 towards Maupin, 216 back west towards hiway 26 which would take me around Mt. Hood and back to Greshan:

1a5f0d2c1f4577f0c08b3a2b6f42303a.jpg


I-84 is a major interstate with lots of east-west traffic, but it is spectacularly beautiful as it passes through the Columbia Gorge. My favorite part on the Oregon side is to exit at Mosier and take the Historic Columbia River hiway 30. I never grow tired of taking this 10 mile break from 84. I live on the wet (west) side of the Cascades, and the area just after Hood River before Mosier marks the beginning of the dry areas of Oregon.

638ea97ad3c7e46535b81751e7224391.jpg

3507f0616967d86f5e01cc9542d067b6.jpg

48c0babcf04c772f9432a1d63170d78e.jpg


The views along this curvy stretch are amazing with lots of lookout areas of the Columbia River.
cd53b1f10b8d1f1dcb353dddaa0d8888.jpg

b2ea6224e64cea9a161859df0b4bcd49.jpg

8e47d332236b37205e4e64c90d496d3a.jpg

656e75462db00b598e4f8675643d7244.jpg

7e70da405a1cd38995743d882b08bb2a.jpg


I had left home just after 10:30 and after stopping for too many photos it was time for lunch in The Dalles. Found a nice roadside taco shop with tacos for $2.50 each. Wish I could remember the name--so much better today than a sit down restaurant.
d5867a1a3397267525726c6928de2abe.jpg


I work about an hour from The Dalles, and it's a place that my wife and I are considering for the last few years of full-time work at our current jobs, and then retirement. She used to work in Portland, but with covid her IT area realized it no longer needed a physical location for the most part, and if/when they return, it may be only once a month or even once every three months. That means we can extend our possible retirement home search sooner rather than later. For me, I'd have to drive an hour each way, but only 2-3 days per week, but that would likely be for 3-4 more years only...do-able, I think. So the trip was to take in ideas for the future as well as stretch the CB legs.

It gets really dry after The Dalles...the dam in the back ground is one several along the Columbia.
19f17ec6802f8bbec278afcd829c51c4.jpg


I thought I got all of both horns in the photo, but missed it by a little. Mt. Hood in the back ground.
c0fecc6d6adb187c48484b222f311f9d.jpg


The bridge crossing the Columbia and looking north towards Washington. The terrain I'm standing on is actually a lot for sale...hmmm...build?
914551418a716197e5c05a885f78f426.jpg


On 197 heading south, just a mile or two away from the river. Few trees...so different than the forrested Mt. Hood area.
8c58499544b1172dd91ba8d76adcfd7a.jpg

The last time I was on this stretch of 197 was last summer and I was riding my KLR650, finishing a 4 day central / eastern OR camping trip. I happened upon a huge smoke plume from forest fires and it was bad. I actually had to break camp at 3am the last night because the ash from the fires caught up with me and was making it a bit difficult to breath. Today, a different story:

6da79283b4b7f07d44840692a4541236.jpg


Descending into Maupin with the Deschutes River in the distance. If you like river rafting, Maupin is the place to be.
719c0030e14ebd2a86a225e73c41c8f5.jpg

3da65e24a72a4be714efc14d07c08140.jpg

2f1643e4f936a84b5e300b4f8ac92452.jpg

0bda6a3accd51d1a5b5f1509e1e5f9fc.jpg


I wanted to make it all the way to Madras, but I was also curious about hiway 216, as it was the route I as going to take last summer but couldn't because it was closed due to the fire. Just a beautiful section heading back to the forests of Mt. Hood.

5c10d4f38968dcfaaea86e28d4333a9d.jpg


Ht. Hood in the distance
d90499c0942fd23e2785f36468464204.jpg

04fad756f1bd3de8e803dfc02f8b7da8.jpg


Soon I was back among the trees
759773b276f53c2ade93b2d771ccecd9.jpg


It was a good plan because I was back in the cool of the forest as the heat increased throughout the day...
e5edc8b961579376677a70c25e7655db.jpg

514da5170269d443ec6f8740cb3a01ed.jpg


Made it back home before 5:00 and rode about 215 miles.

Does anybody else like their Honda CB1100?
 
Beautiful pics pdedse.

I love mine
 
Fabulous ride and wonderful scenery!

I’ve been considering Carbondale, CO, for my last stop but fear I’m about 20 years too late to buy anything there $$$.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Fabulous ride and wonderful scenery!

I’ve been considering Carbondale, CO, for my last stop but fear I’m about 20 years too late to buy anything there $$$.
I googled images for Carbondale...that's pretty country! Rising home and property prices may not allow us to make the move either, but it's fun to think about. And it gives me motivation to look for out of the way areas on the CB1100.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Looks good pdedse. Dry, but no smoke. Gotta be happy 'bout that.
I never want to ride through forest fire smoke again...two hours of that was plenty. And then a month after that trip, we got a week full of smoke where I live in Gresham and the evac line got within a few miles of our house.

This is what I rode through for a couple hours, on an otherwise cloudless afternoon...
3360c9063277547bde89dce72fdc7372.jpg


0f164e908edabd07f8f0b9de4bf16001.jpg


I set up camp thinking that I had out distanced the plume...then it caught up with me in the middle of the night.
 
pdedse_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Fabulous ride and wonderful scenery!

I’ve been considering Carbondale, CO, for my last stop but fear I’m about 20 years too late to buy anything there $$$.
I googled images for Carbondale...that's pretty country! Rising home and property prices may not allow us to make the move either, but it's fun to think about. And it gives me motivation to look for out of the way areas on the CB1100.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Looks good pdedse. Dry, but no smoke. Gotta be happy 'bout that.
I never want to ride through forest fire smoke again...two hours of that was plenty. And then a month after that trip, we got a week full of smoke where I live in Gresham and the evac line got within a few miles of our house.

This is what I rode through for a couple hours, on an otherwise cloudless afternoon...
3360c9063277547bde89dce72fdc7372.jpg


0f164e908edabd07f8f0b9de4bf16001.jpg


I set up camp thinking that I had out distanced the plume...then it caught up with me in the middle of the night.
That is creepy.
 
Great pictures, pdedse, but, crikey, it's dry!
 
Crikey, Branko, so do I! :D
 
Back
Top