Oregon...east

[quote="Cormanus" pid='269237' dateline='1750277795']
Yes. Bummer pdedse. Take it easy on the way home.
[/QUOTE]

I applaud the maturity you demonstrated by making sound decisions about your physical well being. I am sure your loving wife is also very appreciative. As for your trip, it remains a grand success, even if it was cut short. You improvised a great luggage rack that would make Mad Max proud, we read each post with great enthusiasm, and the pictures along the way were inspiring. So much so, I am pondering a trip from California to Oregon. Hope you arrive home safely and congrats on a great outing. David
 
I'd love to ride up to Oregon again! Hopefully soon, once work settles down and I can bank some PTO.

At least we now know why you were looking at additional luggage options! Hope you can put down some serious miles when your back is feeing better.
 
Thread starter
I made it home about 5pm today.  I dislike making decisions when pressed.  My back hurt overly uncomfortable for all of 18 hours...then normal annoyance.  It makes me wonder if I could have kept going...but I really didn't want to be in bad shape or in a difficult position as the main reason for this trip was to spend time with future in-laws in Syracuse, NY, which I'll now fly to do.

So this trip turned into less than desired, but was still a great "consolation prize".

Day 1...Monday, June 16: left by 9am, and after a couple of hours on the Oregon side of the Columbia River, crossed the stream to hiway 14.  The John Day dam in the background
BJG37Og.png


The plan was to head for Walla Walla, Washington, mostly on hiway 14 which does not grow wary of offering views
xX9ZOtM.jpg


My brother just retired from BNSF railroad.  He likely has seen the engines that pull these cars pass through his station in Topeka, Kansas
U46GZt7.jpg


Somewhere northeast of Walla Walla on hiway 12
ZasMMXO.jpg


My destination for the night was Clarkston campground on an island in the middle of the Snake River, about 7 miles before the the towns of Clarkston-Lewiston.  I didn't pack a tent, only a hammock.
HDY0T9J.jpg


It's super easy to set-up, a product made by Bear Butt.  Highly recommended.  I actually sleep better in the hammock than with inflatable mats on a tent floor.  A little eerie feeling because you're totally exposed, but it's kinda cool, too.

A short hike along the Snake River
K56e4JO.jpg


YJhdgbu.jpg


And it was time to bed down.  The campground had showers with hot water, so that made for a lovely evening.  View from the hammock:
ow1oefG.jpg


Map of what the trip morphed into:
s3bvJdZ.jpg
 
It's good you're home safe, pdedse. You made a wise call, I suspect. Better to retreat than to press on and find out you would not have ridden through it, particularly when the activities at your destination are consequential. And, as you say, it was a fine consolation prize. :thumbsup:

Great pictures as usual. I like the hammock.
 
Thread starter
Day 2: I was finally going to ride hiway 12, Lolo Pass.  I had heard a lot about it over the years, but never made the time to explore the area.  I'm going to sound spoiled, but I knew it was a curvy, forested area and I ride so much of that in Oregon and Washington that sometimes I look for areas where there are wide open, see-forever, straight sections.  Having grown up in the midwest, that open space makes me feel at home.

The plan was to ride the 4 plus hours from Lewiston to Missoula, have lunch and then find another campsite at Butte.

THw564I.jpg


I thought that hiway 12 hugged the Snake River, but it's actually the Clearwater River
fGB2uKn.jpg


Still in the lower, drier area
U5hv0wi.jpg


I'd say motorcyclists made up 1/4 of the "traffic" along the way.  Mostly ADV bikes geared up to explore more than the pavement and the HD riders.  But the joy of a midweek, early morning ride is that in fact there was very little traffic.  
1X5mKIN.jpg


As you gain in elevation, the river narrows with lots of fun-looking rapids for rafting
eQil2Rr.jpg


Every turn seemingly produces post-card capable material
oB1ysso.jpg


About an hour before Missoula, crossed ID and entered Montana, and I felt like I was on my way!  Yet at the same time, this is about when I noticed the pain settling in.  After lunch, I began riding east on interstate 92 towards Butte.  Fairly strong headwinds and I wonder if that made things worse.  Camping a second night didn't feel attractive, so I headed back to Missoula and got a hotel.  

A lot of things going through my mind.  Would I ever get the chance to do this trip again if I gave up now?  And yet I told myself before the trip that the first few days were to discover what I could do physically...I just didn't like what I was discovering.
 
Thread starter
Day 3: Well, if you have to repeat a route, I guess going through Lolo Pass area was a good section to repeat!  Not going to lie though, it was a mental task to appreciate what I was able to do and ignore what I was missing out on.  But my oh my...the riding is sublime and the weather was perfect.  By noon or 1:00 (time zones kept messing with me, so not sure) I was out of the area and didn't want to head all the way back the same way, so I headed south.

Jj00CRC.jpg


After the town of Kooskia, I headed for Grangeville.  I love the countryside; as summer hasn't fully hit yet things are still fairly green
00I2mxt.jpg
 
It's absurd the number of country roads that make for enjoyable riding with soooo little traffic
J2qlxqX.jpg


Two years ago I rode my DR650 in this area on hiway 95, so the route was familiar to me.  And I knew of a good camp site at the base of Snake River, so I had a destination. 

It was starting to warm up, so I peeled off some of the garments.  Hiway 95 is another spectacular section that is just as fun as Lolo Pass in my view.  It follows the Salmon River and has lots of long, sweeping drops with canyons.  The elevation falls so the temperature rises quickly.  At some point I practically blurt out loud "what the heck?!...my back...actually feels pretty good".  Did I just give up too soon? Hmmmm.  

After spending most of the day prior and all morning riding in the forests...this...was a nice change
3YDCziT.png


I don't know what it is about the expanses...I feel like I can breathe easy.
kUbMs3D.jpg


I'm happy as a lark with this type of riding
xEO5f5f.jpg


It's getting on 4pm and I turn off 95 and head west on 71 towards Oxbow, the only bridge to cross the Snake River in this area if one wants to avoid interstate 84...and this one does.   

The descent to Snake River is a blast.   The campground I was heading for is just above the low rising mound a little above my left mirror:
UXRtvDk.jpg


I enjoy dispersed camping just to get away from it all, but good, established campgrounds offer picnic tables, bathrooms, and showers.  And this one had all that. With my senior discount of $5, it was $16.50 for the night.  Not too bad...the hotel in Missoula was $120.  But some campgrounds charge $25-35 with an outhouse for a toilet and nothing else.  That's excessive.  

I was happy to be here.  I was pretty sure that there would be spots available as it was midweek, but the area for RVs was actually quite full.  Of the 20 spots for tent-campers, there were only 3-4 taken.  
yBT9964.jpg


Of all the available tents spots, only one had adequate trees from which to hang the hammock 
HqbquAl.jpg
 
It was hot, but the sun would soon begin to sink below the ridges, and then looking out over the dam-created lake was very...tranquilo
jL3eLzX.jpg


And relieved to kick these off
HYB1bbC.jpg


I had my sleeping bag ready to use, but I started the night off with just a hooded pull-over and sweats on.  The wind was blowing hard though, and the breeze off the waters of the lake brought a slight chill to the air...but what an evening!  The wind whipping through the pine needles, the waves lapping at the rocks and the dozens of crickets happily doing their chirping made it difficult to sleep, but the stars were gorgeous and the Big Dipper looked well-named.  These moments make all the hassles of camping worthwhile.


Day 4: ride home!  

Woke up to a fabulous morning.  There's a bridge to cross and suddenly, back in Oregon
2JldAxf.jpg


A great way to start the day is riding a warm, 7am morning next to the western shores of the Snake River.  The only others about are fishermen trying to race to their favorite spots.  Lots of families come here to spend a week in their RVs.  Guys fish in the early hours, then take the kiddies out to do tubing or other rope-pulled activities, and then fish again in the evening.  You have to invest some serious cash in the boat and RV, but after that you have some wonderful vacation time with the family.  

uSn6kZf.png


I was getting nearly 50 mpg even with the bike loaded down, but you still can't ignore opportunities to fill up in eastern OR.  Thankfully, the only station had opened at 7, so I was good to go.  I was pretty sure that I could make it all the way home even though it was going to be more than 400 miles for the day.  The reward was going to be a set of three 70-100 mile sections that were just as pleasing as the two from the day before.

VOyzKgC.jpg


First, Oxbow to Baker City on hiway 86...the signs are labeled appropriately "Oregon Scenic Byway".  Where have all the forests gone?
NfPsrTR.jpg


You climb and climb some more, crest, then dip back down to a stream...climb and climb some more, repeat.  Hypnotic.

twn8keG.jpg


5gaA3RV.png


From Baker City it's hiway 7 towards John Day.  The extreme dryness of the Snake River area gives way to greener views
ITOhHgP.png


EUsqsfm.jpg


After John Day on hiway 26, you run into some more canyons that narrow at points and make for some great riding.  Lots of motorcycle riders enjoying the same
em25Caf.png


At Prineville, I continue on hiway 26 northwest to Madras, then over the Mt. Hood pass and back to the wet side of Oregon...where naturally, it's raining this morning.  Two different worlds: wet Oregon vs. dry Oregon.

The CB1100 is an amazing machine.  A number of folks struck up conversations at the gas pumps, what year is it, how many cc's, etc.  They all think it's a great looking bike.

1400 miles over 4 days, some 350 per day.  Yesterday was 425 and I would have preferred to limit at 300, but didn't want to stop being so close to home.

Oh...by the way.  Those home made saddle bag supports?  Turns out you can't use them to grab on to when you want to put the bike on the center stand.

Morning of Day 2
x6M6wSk.jpg


Is there anything duct tape and zip ties cannot fix? 
lYlAkJ3.jpg
 
I mean...besides the obvious.
 
Incredible pictures. Truly inspirational.

Duck tape, zip ties, and rok straps provide the means to respond to any adapt-and-overcome moment. Clearly, you are a Master of all three. :)
 
Wow, Pdedse, thanks for all of the pics and taking us along with your journey. Glad to hear you got home safe.

And, trust you didn't get hit with any late-night sprinklers hitting your hammock on this trip?
 
Great report and pictures, pdedse. There are some lovely scenic contrasts.

I'm really sorry you didn't make it as I would have enjoyed the longer report. But you did the right thing.
 
Good report Pdedse. I’m getting caught up after my wife’s and my Alaskan Cruise.
Sorry you didn’t reach your goal, however, you made the right decision to take the scenic route home.
Great pictures, especially of the Corps of Engineers John Day Lock and Dam.  ;)
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Wow, Pdedse, thanks for all of the pics and taking us along with your journey. Glad to hear you got home safe.

And, trust you didn't get hit with any late-night sprinklers hitting your hammock on this trip?

I kid you not...I was laying in the hammock and leaned over to grab my pull rope so that I could sway with the breeze...I look down and there's a sprinkler head 2 feet away from me.  "you gotta be kiddin' me!" I thinks to myself.  Just about pulled up stakes to look for another spot, but there simply were no other tree hangin' options.  Then I looked closely at the sprinkler head and it looked like it handn't been used in some time.  And they had a "grey water" bubblers that gurgled at the bases of surrounding trees, so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.  Fortunately, no other irrigation happened.


Cormanus said:
Great report and pictures, pdedse. There are some lovely scenic contrasts.

I'm really sorry you didn't make it as I would have enjoyed the longer report. But you did the right thing.

Today it's rainy and I'm thinking "I could be somewheres in North Dakota!"... I love the idea of visiting my sister in Cape Cod, but the one area I really want to get to is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I don't know if I'm ready to give up on long distance mc travel.  I'm gonna get to working hard with the physical therapy and see what happens.
 
Quite right! Don't give up.
 
Pdedse,
Sorry your trip was cut short. However we can do Oregon rides, right? Thanks for sharing the ride you did make. Isn't Lolo pass incredible. I like the big sign just outside of Kamiah, where you have a squiggly line and under that, "next 99 miles". We can do some nice day rides out here on the west side of the Portland Metropolis. Have you ever taken hwy 219 from Sholls to Newberg? a mini Lolo pass. Glad you're safely back. Let's hook up for some day rides.
Best to you,
-tdbru
 
Thread starter
tdbru said:
Pdedse,
Sorry your trip was cut short.  However we can do Oregon rides, right?  Thanks for sharing the ride you did make.  Isn't Lolo pass incredible.  I like the big sign just outside of Kamiah, where you have a squiggly line and under that, "next 99 miles".  We can do some nice day rides out here on the west side of the Portland Metropolis.  Have you ever taken hwy 219 from Sholls to Newberg?  a mini Lolo pass.  Glad you're safely back.  Let's hook up for some day rides.
Best to you,
-tdbru

Sorry tdbru, missed your post.  It would be fun to meet up for a ride; need to finish trip visiting family and friends here in the east, but late July, August-September I'm sure we could connect.
 
Back
Top