Oregon...east

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Tomorrow I begin a road trip...east.

My personal experience with the right coast is a couple of weekend visits to NY City back in 1985...and that's it.  The goal is Syracuse, NY.  I've been holding off making mention of this trip because of on-going back issue (stenosis) that started last November.  Had steroid injections about 2 months ago, but the positive effects have largely worn off.    

So this may be a short "east" trip.  But I've got a plan...a friend lives in Billings, MT, and I'm going to head there and see how I feel.  If the back won't behave, I'll head home and then fly to Syracuse.  But if I'm good, then I'll continue to Illinois where my 100 year ol' mom lives and thrives (I visited her on my 2014 standard CB1100 back in 2016--great trip).  If I make it there, I figure I should be able to ride to Syracuse.

My heart wants to take my 2021 Kawasaki W800, but reason says the CB1100 is the better choice because I have more room.  So...after a few days of getting the saddle bags and support "bars" sorted out, it was time to load things up to see if it all fits.

nQI7TjL.jpg
  
Rok Straps do a great job of cinching things down, and neither the saddle bags nor the rear bag budge.  A 10 mile trial run seems to indicate that I'm ready to go.

I'll be taking my time, limiting myself to around 300 mile days.  I'm packing a hammock and sleeping bag, no tent, and I hope to do 2 nights camping, 1 night with friends, family or hotel, then repeat.  Rough route is OR...ID...MT...ND...MN...Wis...Ill...Ind...OH...Penn...NY.  I want to do the Upper Michigan area, but not sure if that will be on the way to NY, or on the return.  If I'm feeling good, I might visit a sister in Cape Cod.  

Maybe meet some forum members?

BBhrpBe.jpg
 
It is a great setup! And anytime you can include a ROK Strap, you are assured of success. :)

On a much more important note, travel safely, please listen to your body and pace yourself, and have a great adventure. We look forward to the pictures and the stories.

Godspeed, pdedse. David
 
echoing others, have fun and ride safe. If you were going thru southern Ohio I have a room, but have a feeling you will be going thru northern Ohio.

The UP of Michigan is a very neat but desolate place. It's like being in another country with regards to scenery. If you can swing it, you should.

Check in and let us know ocassionally how you are doing.
 
Thread starter
the Ferret said:
echoing others, have fun and ride safe. If you were going thru southern Ohio I have a room, but have a feeling you will be going thru northern Ohio.

The UP of Michigan is a very neat but desolate place. It's like being in another country with regards to scenery. If you can swing it, you should.

Check in and let us know ocassionally how you are doing.

Thanks folks for for well wishes!  And thanks Ferret for the kind offer.  I'll look strongly into the possibility of including sourthern OH.  I'd consider it a highlight to meet you and other forum members.
 
Good luck on the trip! Have fun!
If you need a room in western WI I can easily hook you and your CB up with a room for the night. I'm about 30 min from Minneapolis.
 
Wow! What an exciting trip! Best of luck, ride safe, and really looking forward to hearing about your progress along the way.

And just darn jealous. Wish I could make the time to do anything remotely like that. Regarding upper Michigan, Mrs. G and I did a trip over the U.P. a few years ago and really enjoyed it. If you could work it in, give it a go!
 
Thread starter
Made it to campground along the Snake River, about 7 miles west of Lewiston, WA, near ID border.

Beautiful campground, only $8. swimming and hiking areas, showers, picnic tables, only a handful if campers.

350 miles… started getting warm in the afternoon… phone said 95!  I was shocked. It was 55 when I started this morning.
 
pdedse If you recall I found my CB in Scottsdale and took 4 days to cruise back to Portland. I did the 300 mile days give or take and stayed hydrated which is key. I stayed with family and comfy motels along the way. Super fun and no wind screen. It wasn't an issue for me. Be safe out there:)
 
Thread starter
Hammock camping went pretty well, slept about 5 hours.  Woke at 430, it was already getting light out.  

Always takes me awhile to get into mc camping with the luggage, but the packing is getting there.  I was ready by 6, and was on the road by 730 after sit down breakfast.

Just finished the Lolo Pass ride on hiway 12… wonderful river road for 4 hours in the forest.  Just a cojple mire hours for today and tgen find another campsite near Butte.
 
Lucky guy, pdedse. Nothing like a good long-distance ride.

:biker: 

How's the back?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Lucky guy, pdedse. Nothing like a good long-distance ride.

:biker: 

How's the back?

Welp, the back is…. not back.?

The last hour of Lolo Pass it started bothering me noticeably more.  Took an hour break for lunch and the next hour it got worse as I left Missoula heading for Butte.

Well shoot.  MC riding for 1-2 hours hasn’t bothered me even when other activities like hiking, walking up stairs, holding weed-eater, heck even getting out of bed all have been a pain. Steroid injection helped a lot… for the first month.  It’s been 2 months and now I feel like I did prior.

I turned back to Missoula and opted for a hotel for the night.  I lay down and I’m good, but I get up, move around and it’s stiff and sore.  Meds help to a point, but they wear off…and the underlying question I haven’t wanted to face is: does mc riding make my back worse, and is it one of the causes of stenosis—will it make the narrowing iof the spinal column more narrow…and worse?  Doc said “maybe” but age and hereditary bone structure are the main reasons.

So sadly, I’m turning back home.  I needed to have 3 good days to Billings to convince me it was going to be ok to do this trip.  I got 1.5.  

I feel like riding tail between my legs fashion all the way home today, but that’s nearly 540 miles on the big hiways and my wife encouraged me to take my time and find some interesting routes home.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes for a great trip. I love mc trips, so it’s deflating to make this decision. The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, as it is said.
 
Sorry to hear the back is causing you to cancel the trip pdedse. Backs are tricky things. I missed 2 days of riding this month because my back went out. Couldn't sit, couldn't stand, couldnt bend over. It was miserable. Considered going to the ER. Instead I took an old script of prednisone I had left over from a few years ago for gout and that helped me get back on two wheels. Always one bad body move away from back issues.
 
Bummer! Sorry to hear that you need to scrub the trip, but yeah, can't press on if you're hurting, that would not be enjoyable at all. Get back home safe, enjoy the journey best you can, and let us know you're home safe!
 
Back
Top