Orange County DGR

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, just as they have for all of my previous attempts, the Motorcycle Gods conspired to keep me from participating in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. In 2015, I threw out my back days before the ride, and waved the riders off at the start of the ride while holding a cane with the other hand. Other years, family emergencies, work trips, etc.

I had my CB1100 ready to go, had my most dapper outfit chosen (I don't dress up these days, that was a feat in itself, and required a vest acquired from a local Salvation Army store). Then, two days before, I caught a bug... a home test confirmed I didn't snag a second round of Covid, but a bad cold at the least. Got a day's rest in bed, pumped myself with sinus and flu pills, and we were off to the races.

Mrs. Gone came to see me off. A week of gloomy days cleared for Sunday's ride, and it couldn't be better riding weather. Out of the 200+ bikes that came to participate, the oldest was a '51 BMW. The "You gotta see this" bike was a custom BMW built on NDT Jeep tires. But, even the CB1100 got some attention. There were no others on the ride, which sort of surprised me, but at the same time, didn't. I got a few comments, like "Huh, I've never seen one of these", "Are these getting valuable yet?" and "Is this one of the modern ones?"

During the kickoff speeches, it was announced that the Orange County riders group had raised almost $70k for mens health causes, the 14th highest worldwide. When the ride kicked off, everything went smoothly enough, but, with over 200 bikes riding up a popular beach road on a sunny Sunday afternoon, the ride became a bunch of small groups, and although I had a great time, I was reminded why this is my one and only attempt at a large group ride each year.

I ran into a few friends I had made at the kick-offs for the previous rides, and made a few new ones. All in all, a good day for a good cause.
 
Very cool! Are we talking Orange county NY??

I heard they are not doing the DGR in NYC/long island anymore but im not sure why.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Orange County CA. The ride started at the local Triumph dealership near the airport, went up Pacific Coast Highway through Newport and Huntington Beach (choked with Sunday beachgoers and "profilers" in Bro-Dozers, muscle cars and choppers), stopped in Long Beach, and came back down the coast.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Orange County CA. The ride started at the local Triumph dealership near the airport, went up Pacific Coast Highway through Newport and Huntington Beach (choked with Sunday beachgoers and "profilers" in Bro-Dozers, muscle cars and choppers), stopped in Long Beach, and came back down the coast.
Sounds like a great time!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
It was fun, but there were a few issues, as you'd expect with a large group ride going through a very congested area. I think the funniest part was when a few of the older bikes pulled off of Pacific Coast Highway onto a side street to bail from the ride. Apparently their hand waves of "goodbye" were misinterpreted by those behind them as "follow me". Soon, there were 30 of us riding along, gesturing to each other "Umm... were we really supposed to turn back there? We're in a neighborhood..."
Forum Gods, if you would like to merge this into the newer DGR 2022 thread, have at it!
 
1857811682040fdc27b562dcc5253b3d.png
e40a682f77b765d9955ade0b07636196.png


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
You do indeed look dapper, Gone and your CB looks spotless

200 bikes on one ride..um no thanks.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You do indeed look dapper, Gone and your CB looks spotless

200 bikes on one ride..um no thanks.
Agree with the Ferret ...
Good judgement and eyes Ferret ;)
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen! I had her all shined up and polished the headers. There was a heavy wind blowing in from the beach, so we got a little pelted by the sand in a few spots on the return ride, but nothing that a little post-ride wipedown couldn't take care of.

I didn't expect the new Gringo helmet to be as comfortable as it is, being a more rounded shape than I usually like, but it's made its way into the daily rotation.

As for 200 bikes on the ride.. I got an email this morning from DGR, with a survey about the ride and what can be done to improve it for the future. When it came to that latter part, I suggested providing more information about group riding etiquette.
 
A distinguished gent on a distinguished bike!
 
Thread starter
Just a custom build. I joked with him that I had heard of running car tires on a motorcycle, but not NDT off-road tires. He said he wanted something unique... I'd say he certainly did that.

I followed him for a bit on Pacific Coast Highway. Granted, it was straight road, no turns, but it looked pretty darn stable.
 
Very Dapper GIN60, top marks for dress! You can give me expensive clothing but I still look like I got dressed at the $ store whatever it is. I try and make the DGR's but was away this weekend. You are on a hiding to nothing trying to encourage group riding etiquette at those things, the young mind has far too much else to think about. :dodgy:
 
Back
Top