Opinions please on Delkevic 8" CF slip on exh

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Great price (free shipping) on Amazon. Pictures look good and description of materials used sounds like good quality, but I have never heard them on a bike. Is it really loud without the baffle? Heavily muted with? Supplier says no need to remap with baffle, true or false?

Opinions?
 
dsinned, a few members have a Delkevic system apparently. See Delkevic exhaust, experience?

See this thread, Delkevic exhaust, experience?. There are others to be found if you search for 'Delkevic'.
 
no need a remap with that slip on= true

the smaller the canister the louder it would be So to me it might be loud without the baffle.

If you like the look go for it but if your just buying the piece because its a good deal then you might not be happy with the end result....

goodluck !
 
I like the size of it but haven't taken the leap to buying exhaust parts yet.
 
I second that opinion. On a stock CB1100 that exhaust looks out of place. However, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about how it looks if YOU like it! In my experience short slip on exhausts are almost always louder than the longer ones. Not having heard this particular exhaust in person I can't say how loud, but given it's size I would imagine it would border on obnoxious without any baffles.
 
Thread starter
I listened to a youtube of how it sounds and compared to others, it sounds pretty good; deep and throaty. The main advantage is it weigh practically nothing compared to stock. Delkevic makes an all stainless version as well that is $40 cheaper. I like the idea of a removable baffle, but even if added, it is still quite loud according to the guy in the youtube. I also like that there are no overly noticeable logos on it like so many others that ruin the appearance. My main concern is how may adversely affect the stock ECU fuel mapping. I pick up my new bike tomorrow, so I'm just mulling this over for now.
 
I have the 18" long oval stainless slip on by them. I really like it! I run it without a baffle, and it isn't too loud at all. I think the 14", middle length, would look better than the really short one. I have to say, you won't be disappointed. Especially considering the price. Perfect fit with no mods, and has the centerstand tab, so you keep centerstand like original.
 
Thread starter
I wound up getting the Delkevic 9" Oval with a chromed (or mirror finish polished) Stainless Steel canister. I paid $185 on Amazon with free shipping. The installation took an afternoon in my garage. Fitment was without any difficulties.

The only minor issue was the allen head bolt on the clamp to tighten the inlet of the slip on to the outlet of the mid pipe did not hold up well. The allen head was partially striped by the time I was finished. After the clamp was fully tightened, it seemed more than enough to hold the muffler in place without the strap type hanger attached to the rear foot peg fastener. I kept the strap on anyway for added "security", but looks better without it. Also, the welded on bracket for the center stand rubber stopper was not precisely aligned, but close enough to do work.

I decided to leave the baffle in, since I'm only after a little more sound from my exhaust, but nothing excessive.

After starting the engine and letting the bike idle for several minutes to check for exhaust leaks, the sound is most certainly better than stock. It has a much deeper tone, but surprisingly not significantly louder than stock. I have yet to go for a ride, but I suspect it only becomes louder at higher engine revs and REALLY LOUD at full throttle. Perfect! Just what I wanted. Just to confirm, I blipped the throttle to raise the revs a few grand and it did liven up the exhaust note somewhat, but nothing outrageously offensive to human ears. I did not notice any undesired stumbling, popping or backfires either, so apparently there is still sufficient back pressure so that my ECU is still happy with this new Delkevic exhaust.

Mine looks very similar to this one, but longer and fills in the rear wheel area of the bike a lot more. Delkevic makes great products and this one looks absolutely gorgeous on an all black bike. I think the "chromed" slip on canister looks better compared to the more expensive CF version.

I will report again after a proper test ride, but two thumbs up so far!

This "baffled" slip on is a relatively low cost, high quality unit that looks great and amplifies the exhaust sound appropriately commensurate with how much throttle is applied. At closed or light throttle, there is nothing offensive about it, and won't set of any car alarms while riding through a neighborhood. In short, it transforms the CB1100 into a proper, if not more spirited motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
Okay, just took a nice ride with my new exhaust. The big surprise, its not really that loud at all. Of course, it is loud(er) than stock, but really not that much. At a steady cruising speed, wearing a full face helmet, it is almost hard to hear it. Seriously! Only when you accelerate hard, does it eventually assert itself with more sound volume. Starting from around 4k and up, under hard acceleration, it comes alive and I easily hear it as the bike rapidly speeds up. Which is as it should be imho!

I'm sure it will sound loud(er) to others listening to it from behind the rear end of the bike, or even to the rider while passing through a tunnel or by a large transport cargo truck on the highway. Wearing a full face helmet tends to mitigate ANY sound heard by the rider. I did not find any semblance of a constant "droning" of the exhaust at highway cruising speeds. That is probably even less noticeable than driving a diesel powered truck.

There is a slight amount of "burbling" (as well as an occasional, very subtle, but barely audible popping sound) whenever decelerating from higher revs with the throttle closed. This too is a sound I kind of like. It is certainly not that noticeable to warrant an ECU remapping.

I'm happy to report the engine idle is still rock solid, right at 1000 rpm (after warm up) and totally uneventful, same as stock.

Of course, things may change dramatically, with the baffle removed. Certainly, it will be LOUDER. It will gradually become louder over time as carbon deposits build up inside the canister. In fact, it seems like that is already happening - ever so gradually - after only 30 miles!

Bottom line, this 9" SS Slip On Oval "silencer", made by Delkevic, is an excellent product, easy to install and fairly low cost ($185 shipped). It's a somewhat conservative exhaust enhancement for the CB1100; certainly nothing radical! So, fwiw, I recommend it to any others here who are dissatisfied with Honda's stock 4 into 1 exhaust.
 
Back
Top