Opinions on "high" mileage bikes

Shinchan_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi All,

What do you think of buying higher-mileage bikes (10k miles or more)? I know Honda engines tend to be overengineered and built to last, but anything I should be on the lookout for? Local seller has a 2013 non-abs listed for $4900 including rear rack and (unspecified) windshield with fairly new tires. He also go a custom Laam refoam/recover which is a minimum $400 process. The price hits my sweet spot, although I hope to get him down to around $4500 since he's had it listed on craigslist for a month or so without selling (although the weather here in northern CO has been crap so far this spring).
 
I don't think I'll be of much help, but frankly, it should run like new. Mine does with 22,000 miles on it. It would be interesting to see if they have a complete service record on the bike, but not having one does not mean you should walk away. Check the tires.
 
I wouldn't consider 10k to be high mileage on any vehicle. There's no reason to think the CB1100 couldn't go 100k miles without difficulty.

I agree with you on the crap CO weather!
 
What EmptySea and LongRanger say.

I know it wasn't a CB1100, but I bought a 750cc Shadow with about 36000 Kim's on the clock and ran it up over 40,000. It gave no trouble and was running like clockwork when I sold it.
 
There are some high mileage bikes belonging to members and no reported significant mechanical failures. In fact by buying a '13 model you may avoid some of the electronic problems that plague some (and far from all, I have to say) of the later models. Just make sure it looks well kept and test rides well. It would be good, as MTC says, to sight, and retain if you buy, the service records.

Good luck and cheers.
 
I don't consider 10k high for any modern bike (short of maybe a 2-stroke or a dirtbike). As said above, there are lots of guy's bikes on here with over that mileage (including my own) who have had zero problems.
 
I think mileage depends on the type of bike and how it was ridden. I recently purchased a Kawasaki 1993 ZX7 with 22k miles and after tearing it apart due to low compression have had to have it bored, new valve guides and several new valves. I know I will never get my money back out of this bike but hate the idea of putting a suspect motor back together.
I certainly don't think 10k on a properly maintained motor is anything to worry about but don't have a good feel for the average life expectancy of motor cycle engines. I routinely see BMW's with 25k on the clock with asking prices I think are crazy but perhaps they are that bullet proof. I also see FJR's with over 25k on the clock that seem to be running very well.
I hope to see more responses on this topic. I really like a lot of the older bikes but after my experience with the Kawasaki am pretty gun shy at this point.
 
71 K on my ST 1300 and 20 K on my CB. I would hop on either one for a cross country trip tomorrow.
 
Thanks for the post LongRanger. No one seems to bat an eye at 50k or higher on the BMW motors. I have to think they are an under stressed motor like the CB1000 or extremely over built.
I have always liked the looks of the Boxer motor and hope BMW never discontinues the air cooled version. I know very little about the older in line models but they seem to have a very loyal following. Would really like to find a K75 someday but they seem awfully rare these days.
 
49k on my blackbird and 34k on my 599 neither have ever broken down even once or given any problems whatsoever. would ride either across country without hesitation.
 
24k on #96 before it got "moved on" so it be.

If your interested in how many miles it is posible to get out of an engine google "World's Highest Mileage Car 2010 World Record set by 1966 Volvo P1800" obtained by "a fanatical dedication to vehicle maintenance".

This bloke achieved 2.8 million miles and is still driving his 1966 Volvo P1800.

Halsningar
 
I'm over 24k miles on my CB1100 without any issues. Just keep up with the maintenance.
 
noroomtomove_imp said:
24k on #96 before it got "moved on" so it be.

If your interested in how many miles it is posible to get out of an engine google "World's Highest Mileage Car 2010 World Record set by 1966 Volvo P1800" obtained by "a fanatical dedication to vehicle maintenance".

This bloke achieved 2.8 million miles and is still driving his 1966 Volvo P1800.

Halsningar
It is pretty amazing what modern engines can do. The guys from Drive/Jalopnik bought an all orignal gen 1 LS 400 with ~900,000 miles and are basically driving it across the country till it hits 1M.
 
10k is just broken in. When you get past 50k then you could consider it higher milage. A friend of mine has 130k on his kawasaki Vulcan nomad and never a problem ever. I know a v twin is completely different but this motor will outlast most people's lenth of ownership.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
10K? Who's definition was that? 10k has to be a typo. 100k maybe? I bought an Fz1 that had 52k on it, sold it a couple years later with 72k. Still ran perfectly. Over the years I've put 70 to 80k on plenty of bikes. Lee's RC51 has 117k on it. Still runs like new. If one is familiar with the Goldwing, BMW, Guzzi crowd, one's used to seeing plenty of bikes in the 100 to 300k range.
Anyhow, I have no issues. From an automotive standpoint, I bought a Dodge Challenger from a friend with over 200k that looked like it had maybe 30k on it. Put another 12k and flipped it for a tidy profit.
 
You did say "higher mileage". Some folks just chose not to answer the question you asked, which was "What do you guys think about buying a CB1100 with more than $10,000 miles on it?". Instead, they answered the unasked question, "Is 10,000 miles considered "high mileage?".

But...all answers should be telling you that there's nothing at all wrong with buying a CB1100 with 10,000 miles on it. So buy it! and then ride to the Rally!
 
Back
Top