Open Face Crash

In honor of this discussion on my ride tonight I wore my white open face helmet with flat shield, black leather jacket, black deerskin gloves and Hi Viz vest. Rode past my sons house and saw him out feeding the pony so I stopped. He told me he was out riding on his lunch hour with a co worker today and came upon a Harley rider who had just dropped his bike trying to avoid a deer ( this was at 11:30 a.m.) . The guy was wearing fingerless gloves and a half helmet and face planted on the road. Said he had a good case of rash on his face and palms of his hands. Said a full face helmet would have saved his face. Opined that my flat shield " might" have saved mine, he wasn't sure how strong the shield was lol. A safety lecture from my son lol. How ironic.
 
Of course, I think we can all agree that even in a 3/4 helmet we are smarter than THESE people... who still ride in traffic and sometimes at a good clip.

a3f831aadf1cd8dbf26ebcac663c9264.jpg
 
I've got one of these modular HJC in white....best innovation I've see in a while...mine was $150 so not ridiculous in price.
The only thing the open face helmets had I missed was the visor or bill to block the sun....BUT I've discover you can ride with this helmet adjusted to block the sun if needed.
I truly enjoy being able to pop up the entire face mask sitting at a stop light, then when I hit about 50 or 60, being able to pull it down into full face mode...brilliant!
http://www.extremesupply.com/Mercha...hjc/hjc_helmet_imax_bt_sprint_silver_open.jpg
Oh, I didn't see the fancy little inner shield thing...mine doesn't have that, I just have some blue mirrored polarized aviators I wear.
 
ThomWill_imp said:
Of course, I think we can all agree that even in a 3/4 helmet we are smarter than THESE people... who still ride in traffic and sometimes at a good clip.

a3f831aadf1cd8dbf26ebcac663c9264.jpg
And blow through stop signs, etc.
 
Dakota_imp said:
ThomWill_imp said:
Of course, I think we can all agree that even in a 3/4 helmet we are smarter than THESE people... who still ride in traffic and sometimes at a good clip.

a3f831aadf1cd8dbf26ebcac663c9264.jpg
And blow through stop signs, etc.
And blow through stop signs, etc.
Hmm...I do both/all, motorcycle on the road, bicycle on the road and off, each has its own dangers.
When I go out on the road, I don't expect to have an accident, on the mountain bike, you can have a small wreck anytime you go out, usually not as bad as a road wreck though.....I currently have 2 sprained fingers from a MTB wreck earlier in the season, over the bars.
Maybe I have too many 2 wheeled vehicles...
 
Hiker..are autos even less aware of bicycles than motorcycles? Do you have lots of close calls?
 
I had a friend who took a sweeper pretty fast in Death Valley and hit some gravel. Her bike slid but she kept it upright and rode it thru the desert off the asphalt, only to hit a big rock hidden by a desert plant as she was decelerating. She flew over the handlebars and did a faceplant. She had a 3/4 helmet on and the lower part of her face was injured pretty badly, broke her jaw in several places, sprained her neck, road (or dirt) rash on arms, etc. I believe if she had been wearing a full-face helmet she wouldn't have broken her jaw. She would have still had the other injuries but they were relatively minor compared to the jaw. Ouch.

I've been wearing a flip-face Shoei for many years and I really, really love it. I started out with a 3/4 helmet but soon figured out a full-face is the way to go for safety and comfort. I see people out riding with a pair of sunglasses and a do-rag for face and head protection and I just cringe. Not just because of the "what if" factor, but also because of all the big bugs, rocks, you name it that comes flying at you when you're on the road. I've heard many hard things hitting the helmet and visor as I ride, and I'm always thankful I'm wearing the helmet I have.
 
I'm not trying to answer for HikerToo. I seldom ride bicycles on busy roads as it scares me half to death. I have a theory that it's because you can't play in the traffic; you have to run along the side of it and hope like hell cars (which are going much faster) stay away. I also think car drivers get really irritated with bicycles for that reason: they're slower, there's not quite enough room for them and you have to work that bit harder to get past them without hitting them.

I'm sure learned people have written about the psychology of driving a car. I think it can change us all from reasonable people to egomaniacs with a view that everything else on the road is a nuisance to be pushed out of the way. That makes bicyclists pretty vulnerable.

Wise road authorities in this country now build bicycle lanes on many urban streets to try to make things safer for riders and encourage more people to bicycle.
 
San Antonio now has a couple of bike lanes too, and there's even a big project that essentially will result in a bicycle trail that covers the city!

I was off my bike for about a decade though, so I'm still too out of shape to even contemplate going out on the roads. Now I only have to worry about the people speeding horrendously in my neighborhood!
 
Thread starter
I've read this thread with great interest to date. I am still so sorely tempted to buy this bloody open face lid. What is I promise only to use it up to say 50mph and promise not to eat any insects, or crash in it?

I agree with one of the relies, that the press coverage and promotional videos for the CB make you feel obliged to ride in retro kit.
 
For road bicycling, which I just dabble at this season, I switch between medium size roads with full shoulders( and I still stay to the far right on the should) with danger of 60 MPH cars swerving into me, or really remote/small back roads with hardly any cars, but when one does come along, its harder for them to get by. For years I was doing more off-road than street riding.
My bicycle riding has went way down since I bought the CB, now when I have an extra hour before or after dinner, I usually ride the CB, I get less sweaty on it :-)
 
Do it, Tortuga. Have photos taken so we can gaze admiringly on your style. Just don't fall off while you're wearing it and keep your gob shut so the bugs don't fly in. Wear old fashioned aviator goggles to keep the little things out of your eyes too. And have a visor for when you get caught in the rain!
 
Firstfour_imp said:
pechorin75_imp said:
I won't get involved in arguments about mandatory safety equipment....but that said, having just read the anti-hi-viz article linked in a previous post, I'm a bit disgusted. I mean, I'm all for personal freedom/responsibility, but in a world where drivers often "never even see" the motorcyclists they kill, I find arguments against hi-viz from a safety standpoint pretty ludicrous.

The proof that it works is right there before your own eyes.

I was driving a car the other day when I saw a BMW rider waiting at an intersection further up the road. He was wearing a bright yellow hi-viz jacket. I'd wager I saw him literally hundreds of yards earlier than I would have otherwise, and continued to be aware of his presence. How can that possibly be a bad thing for the motorcyclist?

When I myself have worn a high-viz vest, it's been very obvious to me that drivers have given me more room. Is that a bad thing?

As to this guy's contention that motorcyclists are apt to become more reckless if they wear hi-viz--i.e., the "transfer of responsibility" argument--I seriously doubt it. You could argue against any safety device of any kind on that basis! I mean, have riders really become more reckless since they started wearing helmets?

I may ride like I'm invisible, but that doesn't mean I actually want to be invisible!

But I think what bugs me about the article more than anything is this: He's telling people not to adopt safety equipment that may well save their lives one day because--get this--as more of them do, the greater the odds it'll end up becoming the law for everyone. What a selfish, dishonest argument! His personal whims force him to argue that hi-vis is useless--something I'll bet he doesn't actually believe--so that he can then argue against people wearing it.

But it's a counterproductive argument, at least with me. After reading it, I wanted to go out and buy some more high-vis gear just to spite the guy.
That anti-hi-viz guy is a complete idiot.
Who posted saying they were against hi-viz vests?

I like the study that was posted, I was unaware of any prior to that. Anecdotal mentions of cagers supposedly giving pause when we ride with different eq or whatever is just that, anecdotal, and highly subject to confirmation bias.

While it may be "lame," I kinda liked the picture of the vest made to look like the police vest. Our cops don't wear hi-viz vests, though. People here don't even turn their heads to look before changing lanes, so I wonder how much being more conspicuous can help. Like I said, it can't hurt.

Does anyone know of a hi-viz vest that flows bunches of air? Most that I've seen are some kind of polyester/plastic that blocks all wind, which would basically kill me in the heat. The leather jacket is bad enough by itself.
 
AzBob... Look at runner's hi-viz vests. Back when I was a semi-serious runner I had a lightweight reflective job that said "Run Happy" on it.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Firstfour_imp said:
pechorin75_imp said:
I won't get involved in arguments about mandatory safety equipment....but that said, having just read the anti-hi-viz article linked in a previous post, I'm a bit disgusted. I mean, I'm all for personal freedom/responsibility, but in a world where drivers often "never even see" the motorcyclists they kill, I find arguments against hi-viz from a safety standpoint pretty ludicrous.

The proof that it works is right there before your own eyes.

I was driving a car the other day when I saw a BMW rider waiting at an intersection further up the road. He was wearing a bright yellow hi-viz jacket. I'd wager I saw him literally hundreds of yards earlier than I would have otherwise, and continued to be aware of his presence. How can that possibly be a bad thing for the motorcyclist?

When I myself have worn a high-viz vest, it's been very obvious to me that drivers have given me more room. Is that a bad thing?

As to this guy's contention that motorcyclists are apt to become more reckless if they wear hi-viz--i.e., the "transfer of responsibility" argument--I seriously doubt it. You could argue against any safety device of any kind on that basis! I mean, have riders really become more reckless since they started wearing helmets?

I may ride like I'm invisible, but that doesn't mean I actually want to be invisible!

But I think what bugs me about the article more than anything is this: He's telling people not to adopt safety equipment that may well save their lives one day because--get this--as more of them do, the greater the odds it'll end up becoming the law for everyone. What a selfish, dishonest argument! His personal whims force him to argue that hi-vis is useless--something I'll bet he doesn't actually believe--so that he can then argue against people wearing it.

But it's a counterproductive argument, at least with me. After reading it, I wanted to go out and buy some more high-vis gear just to spite the guy.
That anti-hi-viz guy is a complete idiot.
Who posted saying they were against hi-viz vests?

I like the study that was posted, I was unaware of any prior to that. Anecdotal mentions of cagers supposedly giving pause when we ride with different eq or whatever is just that, anecdotal, and highly subject to confirmation bias.

While it may be "lame," I kinda liked the picture of the vest made to look like the police vest. Our cops don't wear hi-viz vests, though. People here don't even turn their heads to look before changing lanes, so I wonder how much being more conspicuous can help. Like I said, it can't hurt.

Does anyone know of a hi-viz vest that flows bunches of air? Most that I've seen are some kind of polyester/plastic that blocks all wind, which would basically kill me in the heat. The leather jacket is bad enough by itself.
Who posted saying they were against hi-viz vests?
This guy: Discuss: hi-vis is an idiotic fad
 
Here is a photo of my open face:

[/img]

Last time I wore it I was told, by the forces of law and order in their never ending quest to rid the streets of criminal activity and keep the populace safe, that helmet integrity was degraded by stickers. If I face plant a concrete truck I will then confirm or deny that assertion. Don't get me started on the legislation of compulsory wearing of hi-viz clothing. A safer outcome would be guaranteed by compulsory fitting of at least two more wheels and some form of cage device to all motor cycles. Maybe even seat belts and crash bags. Don't tell the Chardonnay slurpers, they might think I'm serious :). Stop me, this is an "open face" thread.

Cheers
 
Degraded by stickers? That's a new one. What about the manufacturers stickers HJC, Bell, DOT, Snell, Helmet model?
 
Back
Top