One Tip For Trips

redbirds_imp said:
Carry a tire repair kit. I carry tire plugs and CO2 cartridges along with a fold up bicycle pump. Takes up very little space and works a charm.
Made me remember.

I have, under the seat, a tiny tire inflator; operates off a cigarette lighter. Sold under the Slime name; but there's also similar off-brand ones. I always have had a pigtail socket wired to the bike's battery, no matter what I had.

It will add air easily to a tire when you're doing your morning prep. There are parts of the country where you just cannot FIND a tire air station. Moreover, if you pick up a nail or something, and the tire is slow-leaking out...you can pump it up, ride ten minutes, inflate again, another ten, until you get someplace you can deal with it.

The Slime mini-pumps don't hold up - I've had two fail with basically, about an hour's total use. But that's all right - for $25 it was worth it just in time saved and worries avoided.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Carry a tire repair kit. I carry tire plugs and CO2 cartridges along with a fold up bicycle pump. Takes up very little space and works a charm.
Made me remember.

I have, under the seat, a tiny tire inflator; operates off a cigarette lighter. Sold under the Slime name; but there's also similar off-brand ones. I always have had a pigtail socket wired to the bike's battery, no matter what I had.

It will add air easily to a tire when you're doing your morning prep. There are parts of the country where you just cannot FIND a tire air station. Moreover, if you pick up a nail or something, and the tire is slow-leaking out...you can pump it up, ride ten minutes, inflate again, another ten, until you get someplace you can deal with it.

The Slime mini-pumps don't hold up - I've had two fail with basically, about an hour's total use. But that's all right - for $25 it was worth it just in time saved and worries avoided.
+1 Is it this one?

f787877900efe101e481fd07e4b00bfe.JPG


I picked it up a few months ago. It fits under the seat (even with the stock toolkit) and it can connect to a cig lighter or direct to the battery. If I only get one use out of it, it'll be worth it.
 
That may be the current one. Of course Slime just has their brand put on a model; and stuff from China comes in "batch lots." Make a large quantity and then pull the line down and make something else.

It's similar to this one



But different. I bought three about two years ago; two failed. Third I'm still using.

They've apparently got a different batch now.
 
Stop and drink water frequently, before you are thirsty.
Take the time to wander side roads.
Don't be afraid to stop in a small town for a leisurely lunch and talk to some people, great way to discover roads and camping spots.
Lots of barbecues and street festivals in small towns.
 
Follow the traditional "10 for 2" rule: take a 10-minute break for every two hours of riding, or even more frequently than that--pay attention to how you're feeling. Shorten the interval between breaks if you're cold or hot, and drink water during those breaks, even if you're cold.
 
Stop at a civilised time at the end of the day, take a shower, change your clothes and enjoy a beer, a glass of wine and another beer with your riding companions. :beerchug:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Stop at a civilised time at the end of the day, take a shower, change your clothes and enjoy a beer, a glass of wine and another beer with your riding companions. :beerchug:
Sufferin' tomcats! You read my mind.

Cheers
 
Hmmm I was going to say carry your own tea bags
 
ZenBiker_imp said:
Follow the traditional "10 for 2" rule: take a 10-minute break for every two hours of riding, or even more frequently than that--pay attention to how you're feeling. Shorten the interval between breaks if you're cold or hot, and drink water during those breaks, even if you're cold.
I found, especially when riding with others on longer rides, we stop pretty much every hour. Someone usually needs fuel, restroom, water, leg stretch, etc. Rarely do we ever go for a two hour stretch at a time unless we are really trying to get somewhere by a certain time.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Stop at a civilised time at the end of the day, take a shower, change your clothes and enjoy a beer, a glass of wine and another beer with your riding companions. :beerchug:
Hear! Hear!

Unless you're in an Iron Butt marathon...there is NO sane reason for riding past the evening meal hour. Find a place to tie down...be it a campsite or a Hilton. And do it. Make or buy your meal; enjoy, as Neil Diamond once said, the quiet hour that waits beyond the day.

Unless you have miles to go and people to meet...all you're going to get out of late-night travel is a lot of discomfort, missed scenery, and maybe an animal hit.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm I was going to say carry your own tea bags
It may sound strange coming from me, but that's important too.
 
DAC_imp said:
Take a battery pack to power up your phone in case it gets drained. Movement between towers seems to strain the phone as it hunts for a signal. They are small and can be had for as little as $12.
My Micro-start jump start battery MICRO-START Portable Jump-Starters will also charge a cell phone and it isn't much bigger than a cell phone battery pack. I jumped my bike and my neighbor's car and the Micro-start still registered a full charge.

I keep a travel list with my motorcycle accessories and update it after every trip. I pack much more quickly that way and I don't worry that I'm forgetting something.
 
Back
Top