One Tip For Trips

Motogeezer1949_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Here's a new thread for you: How about anyone wishing to participate post one tip that might help newbies who are thinking of doing some long distance rides?
Remember, one tip per post!
Here's the first one: Pack your oldest, rattyest underwear. Throw them away as you use them. :clap:
 
In line with that: Under-pack, rather than over-pack. The nation is LOUSY with Harbor Freight and Wal-Mart stores; so if you find you need something you didn't bring along...you can get it cheaply. The money spent might be less grief than taking a satchel of gear you won't use: Heavier coat; swim gear; wrench set.

Last two trips I packed a Vise-Grip all-purpose tool and an adjustable wrench - and no other tools. I did some damage to the shift linkage when I had to adjust it after bending the shifter, after dropping the loaded bike...but that's a minor thing to be cleared up in the future. Had I needed more tools, I'd have bought them.

And in KEEPING with that...when you're DONE with gear, like swim gear, beach umbrellas, whatever...MAIL them home. Why lug them with you? Once, long ago on another bike...the last leg of the trip home was some enticing vantages and twisties. I was overloaded. So...half my gear went to the Post Office that morning. Lightened the load...although I had to wait a week to get my dirty road gear delivered...
 
Pack just enough clothing for 3-4 days and plan on doing a load of laundry every so often (quick-dry fabrics help with this tip).
 
At the least, having clean underwear is important for comfort on a bike trip but storing your sweaty undies in a plastic bag until they can be washed can use up valuable packing space. Disposing of the dirty undies and stopping at a Wal-Mart and buying a new pack is convenient and saves some space.

Sorry Geezer, being a bit lazy I did not realize that your post already suggested this.
Carry water and a high energy snack. Even though available at any convenience store, having them on hand can be important if you have a tire puncture or other breakdown in the boonies.
 
Don't go anywhere without informing friends or family, and give them an itinerary/map. You won't want to be stranded a thousand miles from home and nobody knows where you are. If they know where you are/where you're supposed to be they will be more inclined to rescue you!
 
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
Don't go anywhere without informing friends or family, and give them an itinerary/map. You won't want to be stranded a thousand miles from home and nobody knows where you are. If they know where you are/where you're supposed to be they will be more inclined to rescue you!
This. And if you have an Android or IPhone, show them how to track you online - this feature is built into all new phones. This of course requires cell service on your end, but can be good insurance if you're riding alone and you crash off the road and can't yourself call for help yourself.

There was a guy on the news here recently who went off the highway into a ditch and was pinned under his bike for 4 days until mountain bikers happened to find him.

Missing Kimberley, B.C. man found pinned under his motorcycle | Globalnews.ca
 
Take a battery pack to power up your phone in case it gets drained. Movement between towers seems to strain the phone as it hunts for a signal. They are small and can be had for as little as $12.
 
Thread starter
Put your phone on airplane mode. The charge will last longer
If you have Battery Tender leads, get one of these and charge your phone when you're riding: Amazon.com
Make sure you get the 2.1 model.
 
If you're going where it might be cold, pack good thermal gear.
 
Always carry spare dry socks and underwear!
I hate riding with soggy socks.. I usually don;t mind riding through rain but once it seeps into uncomfortable areas, It's the little things that make it an enjoyable ride than a chore.
 
Take two credit cards. And call both beforehand and give them your rough itenerray. I had one of mine lock up in once in The Yukon.

(and hide some cold hard cash in your boot in case you get mugged)
 
Ole_imp said:
Take two credit cards. And call both beforehand and give them your rough itenerray. I had one of mine lock up in once in The Yukon.

(and hide some cold hard cash in your boot in case you get mugged)
Same thing happened to me in Texas a few years back when I rented a motorcycle. I had to call my credit card company and explain that it really was me using the card so far from home.
 
Ole_imp said:
Take two credit cards. And call both beforehand and give them your rough itenerray. I had one of mine lock up in once in The Yukon.

(and hide some cold hard cash in your boot in case you get mugged)
You too? :D:D On a break from work, I spent a week with my family in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and later that same week I was trying to fill my plane with gas in Whitehorse, Yukon when the card went dead. I really couldn't blame the card company for being suspicious.
 
All these tips are awesome!

Only bring the food you need for two nights, max. I once packed a weeks worth of heavy food only to see the same stuff everyday in the gas station.
 
Carry a tire repair kit. I carry tire plugs and CO2 cartridges along with a fold up bicycle pump. Takes up very little space and works a charm.
 
Carry a couple of plastic bags from the grocery store (while they're still available) on your bike at all times. They're great for keeping your gloves dry when encountering unexpected rain.
 
Thread starter
I carry a small fire extinguisher. It's about the size of a can of spray paint. Made specifically for motorcycles. Forget the brand. Can probably easily find it on-line.
 
Back
Top