On the road again ..... first ride in awhile

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
May 17... 82 degrees and sunny. Due to knee issues I haven't ridden in 14 days. Nephew was in town from Nevada and wondered if I was up for a ride. My plan was to try riding tomorrow but what the heck. I could ride his light weight CB500x and he could ride my FJR. (Son took CB 1100 to a work sponsored bike and car show today). Could not for the life of me get my right leg over the seat of my nephews CB500X so I climbed on the FJR. Must say I have never enjoyed the FJR more than the first few miles I rode it today. With the new tires it handled like a dream, it was easy to throttle, easy to brake, trans shifted like butter. It appreciated the delicate inputs I was giving it. Fine motorcycle. That's what I deserve for thinking about selling it lol. Anyhow, nephew and I rode a bunch of country roads out to lunch. By the time lunch was over I figured out how to hop on his CB by hopping on my good leg and lunging my bad leg across the seat, so I rode it for awhile, then, hopped off and we swapped back. Nice little bike that CB 500X. If I were to use 1 word to describe it, it would be "capable". It's a better motorcycle than it's engine displacement suggests. Nephew was quite surprised by the heft, agility and power of the FJR.

By the time I got home I felt like someone had beaten me with a 2x4 lol. Tired, hot, out of sorts. Gait in my right leg isn't right yet, not smooth. Guess that will take some time. At least I'm done with the walker/crutches/cane and ambulatory again, and, importantly for my peace of mind, riding again. 122 miles total for the day.

Tomorrow I think my son is going to meet me for a birthday ride. Don't think I will make it as long as today's ride. Should be fun and a good way to start my 54th ? year of street riding.
 
That’s great news, Ferret. Glad you’re back on the bike and will get in a birthday ride.
 
WOW, 54th ? year of street riding, very good record, good luck with your knee and less health problems :)
 
Congrats Ferret! Good to know you are “back in the saddle again” :)
 
Great to hear you're back on two wheels, Mickey! :clap:

Not sure if you tried this, but when I had problems with my right knee, I used to stand on the left peg (bike on side or center stand) and it was much easier to swing the bad leg over.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys...



Flynrider_imp said:
Great to hear you're back on two wheels, Mickey! :clap:

Not sure if you tried this, but when I had problems with my right knee, I used to stand on the left peg (bike on side or center stand) and it was much easier to swing the bad leg over.
Yea that's how I had to get on the FJR. That's also how I will get on the CB1100 tomorrow. The CB 500 was so narrow in the waist and the pegs close together, once I got my left foot on the left footpeg, there wasn't room to lift my right leg over. ITs a really narrow bike.
 
Good to hear, ferret. We all admire your passion and dedication to riding!

I don't know if you've ever tried this method (EDIT: you have), but being short I find it helpful on bikes with tall (for me) seat heights and for getting on a bike loaded with touring gear.

With the bike on the center stand (best) or side stand (OK), you put your left foot on the left peg. Then stand up on it and gain the extra height needed to smoothly throw the right leg over the bike. It's like mounting a horse.

Here's me, caught in the act:

d0be8f419239e89fd02e3a0044d9e51c.jpg
 
Thread starter
Good pic explaining the process Stichill
 
Great to hear you're back on the bike! Riding just makes our lives complete! Enjoy those moments on the road, they build memories!
 
I noticed you were MIA from the mileage spreadsheet. Was going to msg you today about it. Glad you got out. Hope it gets easier.

I sometimes mount via the left peg just because it looks more dramatic. Lol
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I noticed you were MIA from the mileage spreadsheet. Was going to msg you today about it. Glad you got out. Hope it gets easier.

I sometimes mount via the left peg just because it looks more dramatic. Lol
"You boys best be outta town by sundown."

(Mounts bike dramatically)

"Hyah!"

(Rides off in a cloud of dust)

:rofl:
 
I think the proper mounting technique for that scenario would be jumping on the bike from the second story of a saloon and peeling off into the sunset. :biker:
 
Great that you're back riding, Ferret.

As others have said, standing on the left footrest to climb aboard has stood me in good stead for many years, having an arthritic hip. I've not been able to ride my BeeEmm for 18 months because of it, but... I had my successful hip replacement just before last Christmas and all that's behind me!! My new CB will be here in just over a week. So I can REALLY appreciate your first rides! And I'm in my 55th year of riding!! I guess we're in a similar condition, with Houtman and PB to keep us company!! :D
 
Good to hear!

After Thursday my weekdays will be like weekends...free to ride! If you get a day or two you feel like riding just let me know! Not much notice needed, day before is fine!
 
Although I am 6' 2" tall, at my age I always place my bike on the center stand so I can mount it easily. With the bike on a the side stand I also use the foot peg to dismount without kicking the top box.
 
Back
Top