Old Photos, Daytona 1974

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
With Bike Week just around the corner, I was looking over some old pics I took there at the "200" back in 1974. I rode down that morning on my R/75, took in some of the local color in town (like the "well lit" Harley) and spent the rest of the day at the track. Agostini won if I remember correctly.

eb850f469d5e413fecf49a3df48ec8eb.jpg


5795f3bf5460e9216123c97ed7fcf258.jpg


52e422dd1eb6f49d5063884084380500.jpg


6c557e7f600435e9fcb77403bee11308.jpg


20ea0a802109340c476bc10cbeae646d.jpg


4b11b299226cdfae4b910a2a001d3b68.jpg


eae9cc0d0b25a9e31b2d505c6ce5a533.jpg


7ffc6c2a1ca1184398d5f4923bb8a50d.jpg
 
Cool pics and some well known racers.

Wonder watt ( get it) the output on that Harleys alternator is? Jeezalou that's a lot of lights
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Cool pics and some well known racers.

Wonder watt ( get it) the output on that Harleys alternator is? Jeezalou that's a lot of lights
Castro, Roberts, Aldana, Agostini, Duhamel, Pasolini.....it used to be a very important race with international stars taking part. The last photo of Cecotto from Venezuela I believe, he was very fast and an up and coming star but was tragically killed in a race later that year.
 
I remember when Cecotto died. Yamaha was very keen on him.
 
I remember DuHamel seemed to crash just about every other race, he rode for Kawasaki for a long time, til that 700cc Yamaha inline 4 took over everything. Yamaha teased the public with a prototype street machine based on that race bike, it was a two stroke inline 4. Basically two RD350s joined together. Sigh, that would have been a fun bike.

Ferret, do you think you would have been interested in a two stroke inline 4?
 
Thread starter
davidsargee_imp said:
I remember DuHamel seemed to crash just about every other race, he rode for Kawasaki for a long time, til that 700cc Yamaha inline 4 took over everything. Yamaha teased the public with a prototype street machine based on that race bike, it was a two stroke inline 4. Basically two RD350s joined together. Sigh, that would have been a fun bike.

Ferret, do you think you would have been interested in a two stroke inline 4?
Yep, he was there.

5c67f20066cdaa42fe62042d846eb9f0.jpg
 
davidsargee_imp said:
I remember DuHamel seemed to crash just about every other race, he rode for Kawasaki for a long time, til that 700cc Yamaha inline 4 took over everything. Yamaha teased the public with a prototype street machine based on that race bike, it was a two stroke inline 4. Basically two RD350s joined together. Sigh, that would have been a fun bike.

Ferret, do you think you would have been interested in a two stroke inline 4?

Well heck yea... I had a 73 RD 350 Yamaha and a 76 GT 750 Suzuki although an inline 4 two stroke would have to be tuned more like the GT 750 than 2 RDs to be rideable lol
 
Friend of mine had an RD350, modded the heck out of if. Bored, ported, polished, big carbs, expansion chambers. Was like riding a little bucking bronco. But it would give 750s fits, (except for the H-2). I was riding an H-2 back then, and would have probably jumped on that Yamaha had they produced it. Those bikes were a lot of fun.
 
Thread starter
I miss all the wonderful two stroke street bikes from back then. Simple machines loaded with performance. My kid brother had an RD250 that was sneaky fast and handled as if on rails.
 
Back
Top