OK, gotta get this off my chest, I really hate the word "farkle"...

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
....it's sounds like a cross between "fart" and "sparkle"....I have an image of someone cutting the cheese and a poof of glitter coming out. "Oops...I just farkled...."

Seriously, where did such a sissified word for motorcycle accessories come from??

I just hate it.

That is all.
 
Comment 1: I have a similar aversion to the word "twisties"

Comment 2: Those of us in the G&G (Gas and Glitter) community find the word "farkle" insensitive. We prefer "flitter".
 
Farkles is a word that I never heard of until I became involved in online forums. I soon learned what it meant, but it's not a word I use.
Language is ever evolving and many of these made-up words will eventually become part of our language because of continued use and make it into the dictionaries.
But I do use the word "twisties" :P
 
Farkle, farkle, farkle, twisty, twisty, twisty. :P. :excited:
 
Ditto on hearing the word first on this forum. Then there's the term "frunk" over on the NC700 forum (storage trunk where the fuel tank normally resides).

Neither are particularly attractive words.
 
To show the level of class most CB owners have, how about using the term "accoutrements" instead of "farkles"?

As in: "Today I added some accoutrements to my CB11." or "I sold that pos Harley so now I have some money to buy some accoutrements for my CB."
 
Chapomis_imp said:
And aversion to Farkel I can see, but what's wrong with Twisties ?

Flitter ??? :rofl:
There's nothing particularly wrong with "twisties", I just use "curves" or "crooked sections" instead. "Twisties" seem to me like something a twelve year old girl would us to hold her ponytail up.
 
Wow glad I slept in this morning. A heck of a thread to read first thing in the morning lol

I'd use accoutrements but not sure I could spell it and not really sure how to say it.

Btw Capo.. Did I miss your ride report on your new Thruxton?
 
Nasty little word, isn't it?
Conjures up all sorts of unpleasant ideas. To me thats the true meaning of the word, items we rush out to buy for our motorcycle that are over-priced, of limited function and worthiness, and mainly serve to attract attention.
Saddlebags, fairings, exhaust systems, gps - na, not a farkle.
deer whistles, tassels, bicycle cards in the spokes - yep.

Twisties - first image is the shape (not color!) my underwear has just after some idiot pulls in front of me on the road causing me to panic slowdown.
Just too generic a term to describe roads, sort of like an Eskimo (not PC, I know) saying "it's snowing".

I suppose calling fingerless gloves "nose pickers" is out too.
What about "a**ess chaps"?
 
My ST1100-riding friend was saying "farkle" twenty years ago. I think it originated from the long-distance riding community (IBA), perhaps with the help from Rider's Warehouse (of Aerostitch fame). The term has appeared in Motorcycle Consumer News (RIP) on a very frequent basis, especially in articles about accessorizing bikes for long-distance touring events. Bill Shaw comes to mind as a frequent contributor. Seems he was never completely satisfied with the results of his aftermarket excursions.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wow glad I slept in this morning. A heck of a thread to read first thing in the morning lol

I'd use accoutrements but not sure I could spell it and not really sure how to say it.

Btw Capo.. Did I miss your ride report on your new Thruxton?
No, been too busy this week, but the report is on the way!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
And aversion to Farkel I can see, but what's wrong with Twisties ?

Flitter ??? :rofl:
There's nothing particularly wrong with "twisties", I just use "curves" or "crooked sections" instead. "Twisties" seem to me like something a twelve year old girl would us to hold her ponytail up.
There's nothing particularly wrong with "twisties", I just use "curves" or "crooked sections" instead. "Twisties" seem to me like something a twelve year old girl would use to hold her ponytail up. I hate that my iPad is fried. The above was supposed to just correct a spelling error, but I can't see squat on this farkling iPhone.
 
Back
Top