OK for a big guy?

treytexag_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm 6 feet and 250 lbs. Last two Honda's were a 1994 750 Nighthawk and a 1981 CX500 Custom, but I didn't weigh quite what I do now that I'm 50 :-).

I'm looking for a bike to putt around town on, ride to work. My daily commute here in Houston is about 5 miles on roads with 35-40 mph speed limits.

Is the general consensus that the CB11 is OK for "fatter" guys like myself?

treytexag
 
I don't see why not.
The engine can easily handle that much weight and is very smooth at slower speeds.
But the CB begs to get out on the road and let the engine open up.
That's where it shines.
 
We prefer "bigger" to "fatter" and many of us have the same general height/weight ratio. The bike will be perfect for you. Sometimes the seat height in relationship to the peg position can be tight for taller riders, but most of those folks are over 6'
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys for chiming in, appreciate it. Yep, I get flack from my wife for using the "f" word instead of "big" - LOL.

treytexag
 
I'm 5' 10 " and 280 pounds. Great bike. Comfortable. Great mid-range. With the engine size & torque of this motor there is absolutely no comparison with the other two bikes you mentioned.
If you're concerned, post something on this site asking a member to try his bike. You're in Houston & there should be plenty of CB's around. Or, just find a dealer for a test ride. Rocket
 
6'3" & 290# here, and no problems with fit. I just hate that after about an hour in the seat the old backside gets sore! :D
 
treytexag_imp said:
I'm 6 feet and 250 lbs. Last two Honda's were a 1994 750 Nighthawk and a 1981 CX500 Custom, but I didn't weigh quite what I do now that I'm 50 :-).

I'm looking for a bike to putt around town on, ride to work. My daily commute here in Houston is about 5 miles on roads with 35-40 mph speed limits.

Is the general consensus that the CB11 is OK for "fatter" guys like myself?

treytexag
No problem! I am 6'2" and 230. The bike does not feel cramped to me, at all. With that said, I am pretty much guaranteed to get a cramp in one of my hips somewhere along the ride. Figure that is more to do with old & decrepit than fat!

We need more CB1100 owners in the Houston area. Go for it!
 
Thread starter
Gents, appreciate y'all posting up. I was hoping to hear directly from some bigger riders and confirm that size wasn't a problem.

treytexag
 
With 6,2 feet tall I have no problem riding the CB.
But it depends on how flexible your legs and knees are.
Sometimes sliding back or forth on the seat helps a little,
to find an acceptable position, even for a long trip.

Wisedrum.
 
I'm not big, but I would ask : How did the Nighthawk fit you? The ergos on the CB1100 are very close. I switch back and forth between my Nighthawk and CB11 and they feel pretty much the same in the comfort dept. You'll get much improved power, brakes and suspension with the CB11.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm not big, but I would ask : How did the Nighthawk fit you? The ergos on the CB1100 are very close. I switch back and forth between my Nighthawk and CB11 and they feel pretty much the same in the comfort dept. You'll get much improved power, brakes and suspension with the CB11.
Good question Flyin'. When I sold my Nighthawk was just before my oldest daughter was born and I only weighed 190 lbs at the time. So right now I'm 60 lbs over that. But I did find the Nighthawk to be a pretty comfortable ride for putting around town. I am looking forward to better brakes (ABS), and the additional power . . . .

Well, and there is the cool factor. The 14 DLX just looks cool - 'course like most of you I'm older school in that regard . . .

treytexag
 
You will fit and plenty of power. The best way for to to improve my bikes performance would be to drop 120lbs!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm about the same size as you and have no problems or complaints. Seat does feel a little hard on long runs 'though.

Now, since we have the attention of the larger portion of this community here's a poser which would suit a physicist motorcyclist who either started riding when skinny and padded out in later life, or vice versa.

The bike's got loads of torques and when I crank the throttle open I feel as if it's trying to slide me off the back of the seat, and I end up hanging onto the bars for dear life.

I never used to get this feeling when I was younger and lighter.

do heavier riders get subjected to more of the effect of inertia on an accelerating bike?

An analogy might be accelerating hard with a pillion rider holding on to you?
 
I'm 6'1" 240 lbs. and really enjoy a taller seat and slightly lower and more forward pegs. If you get cramps in your hip area a taller seat or lower pegs will solve the issue.

With my wife aboard and fully geared up, we exceed max vehicle weight by a good 50 lbs. The CB easily handles the weight. We can climb hills in 5th gear at 2500 rpm without down.
 
Thread starter
Insolentsquid_imp said:
I'm about the same size as you and have no problems or complaints. Seat does feel a little hard on long runs 'though.

Now, since we have the attention of the larger portion of this community here's a poser which would suit a physicist motorcyclist who either started riding when skinny and padded out in later life, or vice versa.

The bike's got loads of torques and when I crank the throttle open I feel as if it's trying to slide me off the back of the seat, and I end up hanging onto the bars for dear life.

I never used to get this feeling when I was younger and lighter.

do heavier riders get subjected to more of the effect of inertia on an accelerating bike?

An analogy might be accelerating hard with a pillion rider holding on to you?
Insolent , that is funny. I never thought of it that way.

Of course we all know that F=M*A or force equals mass times acceleration. I don't know anything about inertia, but if mass goes up and acceleration stays the same, by definition, the force acting on the body - in this case the "bigger rider" (me) would go up . . . .

Interesting indeed . . . .

treytexag
CB4ME_imp said:
I'm 6'1" 240 lbs. and really enjoy a taller seat and slightly lower and more forward pegs. If you get cramps in your hip area a taller seat or lower pegs will solve the issue.

With my wife aboard and fully geared up, we exceed max vehicle weight by a good 50 lbs. The CB easily handles the weight. We can climb hills in 5th gear at 2500 rpm without down.
I too have historically preferred taller seat and slightly lower and more forward pegs . . . .
 
So ... if you're heavier and the pillion is not hanging on so well ... ?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So ... if you're heavier and the pillion is not hanging on so well ... ?
...then if you multiply the speed by the time it takes for the screaming and swearing to stop, it gives you the range of your bluetooth intercom...
 
Back
Top